How to engage B or D mode

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMW

As a relative newbie I can't work out how to engage B or D mode on my Leaf 2.zero. The shift is marked B/D with no separate LED to show which mode is enabled. The manual describes the relative merits of the modes but doesn't explain how to enable them.
Can anyone help?

They are both in the same position, alternating with each shifter move into that position. IIRC, you pull back and left on the shifter, and depending on which mode you are in, you will engage the other to replace it. You will feel B mode slow the car as soon as it engages.

You can also enable this "on the fly" as well. I've tried the B mode a few times, but typically just use the A mode.

I went to coast in Neutral last night, and discovered that I don't remember how to engage N on the fly. I thought it was by trying to shift to Reverse, but didn't want to try that, in case I was wrong. ;(

Pull shift lever to the left Leftie, hold for a second or 2, this puts the car in Neutral and is helpful at the drive-thru car wash.

Okay newbie here... So had my leaf for a month now and have no idea B mode is a thing.... I set it to eco and the epedal but are you saying it's been hiding a more efficient mode all along? I was actually thinking the epdal is pretty mild regen braking and similar to down shifting a manual car.

Gonna have to test this out for sure.

IIRC, you can indeed combine B mode with ePedal, for maximum regen. Keep in mind, though, that regeneration is less efficient than coasting, whether in Neutral or just by using D mode and lightly pressing the accelerator pedal to eliminate the normal bit of regen that simulates an ICE with automatic transmission. Which mode is most efficient depends on the driving situation. In stop & go or stop & slow driving, ePedal or B mode (or both at once) are best. On the highway, Eco or D mode are best. D coasts better, but Eco limits the power draw from the HVAC system, and makes it easier to accelerate gently.

Back