How can I listen to the radio with the driver door open, without the "bing"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brycenesbitt

If I turn my 2011 Leaf SL off,
keep my foot off the brake and touch the power button once, I get into "accessory mode".
In this mode I can use the radio or connect another device to the car speakers. This uses much less main battery power than just putting the car into park but otherwise "on".

However, the door binger/beeper keeps making a ding-ding-ding sound. How can I listen in peace, with the door or doors open?

I know the door is open.
I opened it.

cwerdna said:
Sure, it uses way less power but you risk running the 12 volt flat.

Indeed. You are trading a small amount of wasted power for a likely dead accessory battery, as the car doesn't charge the 12 volt battery in Accessory mode. Put the car in Ready mode and open the windows.

brycenesbitt said:
How can I listen in peace, with the door or doors open?

I know the door is open.
I opened it.
Only the driver side door needs to be closed. All other doors or windows can be open.

It's a plunger switch that attaches with a single screw.

So, you can either: remove that screw, pull out the switch, disconnect the wire harness, and reattach the switch; or, you can possibly remove the spring from within the plunger switch so that it doesn't automatically spring into the closed position (aka the popped out position, like when you have the door open).

I guess the idea of the switch is to warn the driver so that he/she doesn't take out a passing cyclist, but by the time the door opens and the chime goes off the cyclist is probably screwed anyways. I've been on the cyclist side of that scenario before, not fun...

So, maybe think twice about disabling the door ajar switch for that reason. Or, get in the habit of always checking your sideview mirror before opening your door.

As a cyclist, I'm always looking at the sideview mirror for a face when approaching parked cars, but that doesn't always work because some people have no clue how to adjust their sideview mirrors properly.

alozzy said:
So, maybe think twice about disabling the door ajar switch for that reason. Or, get in the habit of always checking your sideview mirror before opening your door.

As a cyclist, in an urban area, watching the "door zone" is something I do regardless.

Yeah, I'd like to rewire things so I can get the radio on only, depending on only the 12V accessory battery.

Back