30kwh on track for replacement?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
liamonski said:
I still feel like I've got a winner/(loser?) and will be eligible for that 40kWh pack within the warranty period. What do you all think?

I'd say your chances are good and since you're already at 75% SOH there is no point in trying to save the battery at this point. I'd get in the habit of charging it to 100% as often as possible and then leaving it like that as much as you can. Good luck.

Mind giving me your thoughts on another?

I'm the original owner of a 2017 S, purchase on 8-15-17 in Southern California. (They were such a good deal, my family bought 3!)
42 months left till the warranty expires
44,400 miles
10 bars left
SOH 78.1%
216 QC's
943 L 1&2

For the last 3 years, I have been trying to stay off the QC's and only charge to 80%. I usually get down to about 20%

I only went for the free battery check ups. Problem?

You may have taken too good care of the pack for it to lose two more bars in time. If your local micro-climate is hot, then make 100% state of charge your default state for it. If the climate isn't hot, then you have to decide if you want to risk having a low 9 bar pack when the warranty on the battery expires.

I currently live near the ocean, so the weather is pretty ideal.

Hmmm.........What to do? 42 to months left to kill it. Go %100 all the time and start hitting the fast charger again or not?

Sure would be nice to have a new pack! A lot of my driving is now beyond the range of my current batts.

I drive 53 miles round trip week days. Mostly freeway. I could easily hit the fast charger once a week for our typical weekend drive inland. 95 miles round trip and hotter than blazes in the summer!

OsideClyde said:
Mind giving me your thoughts on another?

I'm the original owner of a 2017 S, purchase on 8-15-17 in Southern California. (They were such a good deal, my family bought 3!)
42 months left till the warranty expires
44,400 miles
10 bars left
SOH 78.1%
216 QC's
943 L 1&2

For the last 3 years, I have been trying to stay off the QC's and only charge to 80%. I usually get down to about 20%

I only went for the free battery check ups. Problem?

Yours sounds a bit like mine. I'm also at 10 bars but mine is a 2016 that sat on the lot until i bought 4/17.

I've never limited charging and QC wasn't even available in my area in places i would go until 2020/21ish. I've had plenty of low battery warnings and a few turtle modes and mine seems to track pretty closely on a strictly miles basis to the Mark Larson chart that pegged miles/time/battery degradation against the warranty period. (https://insideevs.com/news/326563/battery-capacity-loss-warranty-chart-for-2016-30-kwh-nissan-leaf/amp/)

I'm not expecting to drop my 4th bar in time for a warranty replacement

Thanks for the chart.
Referencing that, it look to me like my battery is actually doing better that expected. :roll:

I have a 2016 SV with 30 KW battery and my soh is already down to 70% at 46,000 miles.

But the gom still says 10 bars which is totally BS of course

It is proving near impossible to get Nissan to do anything at all without wanting to charge me a lot of money

I asked them to test it they claim they did I don't believe them because if I hammer the throttle on the highway the entire car shuts off and it disconnects the traction pack and the only thing I could do is get towed home and plug in the evse and then it resets

The first time I took it in it would turtle I just let it regen and it would reset now it shuts off the battery and will not turn the battery back on until I plug into the evse so I can't use maximum throttle and I have to be careful climbing the mountain that I don't use too much demand power

They said your 12 volt batteries flaky so I replace the 12 volt battery even though anybody with half a brain can tell you this won't be caused by 12 volt battery that is not even in use when the car is running since it's using the dc/dc converter

But they wouldn't do anything until that was taken care of

Of course no change they just claim it's okay I think they attempted to put the software update on the car again because when I got into the car the estimated mileage got reset to 109 miles which is total BS not 5 miles after leaving the dealership it was already down in the 80s where it belongs and even that's BS in reality I can only go about 50 miles

I think some of the cells are undervolting but their system refuses to see that even though I can see it in leafs by app my cells are all over the place not even or balanced at all like half of them dipped down below and half of them dip upwards with about five or six of them unusually low although I don't know how big the scale is about 120 mv I don't know if that's a lot or a little

It's driving me crazy because it's extraordinarily limiting where I can go since I always have to make sure I have at least 50% charge in order to be able to make the 14 or 1500 foot climb back up the mountain

This is a screen capture from least by just under 60% SOC

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rC6HDsFexuQrMMuzbs50fh5Obdq5djPN/view?usp=drivesdk

Back