ADVICE for long trip

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
I've gotten the buffeting/thrumming with just ONE rear window rolled down all the way. I've gotten so used to using the HVAC to provide fresh air that I only roll a window down if I need lots of it, fast. Or to pick up prescriptions...

I leave my windows up most of the time just to filter out the traffic noise. I don't realize how well that works until it's a warm day and ride around with the windows down and then get annoyed by how loud everyone is around me. :lol:
Between fart cans on the back of old accords and camrys to the coal rolling diesel guys, it's just better to leave the windows up to block all the sound and smells. :lol: :roll: :lol:

LeafSpy221 said:
to Sagebrush's point, South carolina is pretty limited (at least on i-95) so the 106 mile stretch is only option.

and as for the trip being "an adventure", i guess in some way I'm almost looking at it as a way to "see what happens". probably eat crow and hating life in the middle of the journey, but perhaps a little more insight and things will get figured out.
Coming from someone else with a 40KWh Leaf and almost 3 years in that Leaf, you are definitely in for an adventure and expect there won't be anything quick about this adventure. Reading through all these postings the one aspect jumps out concerns your stop-over night at a hotel. Skip the idea of DCFC at that stop and find someplace with a L2 to take a full regular charge overnight. In fact, if I were to do this alone in mine, would likely set-up the car up with a platform to level the hatchback area and a sleeping pad. Then plan on a couple of long L2 naps along the way.

One other thing to think about: What will you do if a charging station is not functional where you have plotted critical distances? I always make sure there are at least 2 or 3 charging stations I can use if I choose to drive beyond round-trip range from home. I used DCQC frequently for trips across the Phoenix area with the 24 kWh cars and it was not unusual to find a preferred station out of service so I used an alternate.

rogersleaf said:
LeafSpy221 said:
to Sagebrush's point, South carolina is pretty limited (at least on i-95) so the 106 mile stretch is only option.

and as for the trip being "an adventure", i guess in some way I'm almost looking at it as a way to "see what happens". probably eat crow and hating life in the middle of the journey, but perhaps a little more insight and things will get figured out.
Coming from someone else with a 40KWh Leaf and almost 3 years in that Leaf, you are definitely in for an adventure and expect there won't be anything quick about this adventure. Reading through all these postings the one aspect jumps out concerns your stop-over night at a hotel. Skip the idea of DCFC at that stop and find someplace with a L2 to take a full regular charge overnight. In fact, if I were to do this alone in mine, would likely set-up the car up with a platform to level the hatchback area and a sleeping pad. Then plan on a couple of long L2 naps along the way.

Thank you rogersleaf, looking back on PLUGSHARE, i found in filters the J1772 turned off. Come to discover there's a Starbuck's on other side of highway with 4 chargepoint plugs. It's close to the front door, so probably not the quietest place, but to reduce use of QC, it could be very helpful.
On youtube, "Dala's EV repair", to help with battery heat build up, he posted a technique where to reduce charge rate from 44, down to 35 for that initial charge, when plugged in, you turn the HVAC fan speed up to "6", it drops the kW down to 35 and then you can turn the speed back down. but if reducing the heat going into the battery during charge helps, just another tool in the tool bag so to speak.

as i recall, all the other stops do have a second charge option.

LeafSpy221 said:
I've read plenty of posts regarding long distance and the 40kWh battery. I have a 467 mile trip down i-95 I'd like to take (NC to Jax). and I am fully prepared to split the trip with an overnight hotel stay.

My question related to will the battery not over heat under the following condtions:

Trip will be March 22-25. should be low to mid 70's.

From home (L2 charge to 100%----->87 miles (if possible try to keep it around 60mph, not sure possible on i-95)
First QC charge to 70%
Then travel 61 miles
Now this 2nd charge will have to go to 98% cause the next leg is 106miles.
IT's at this stop where i'll hit the hotel and be across the street from DCFC station.

Day 2, my next 3 legs will be 67miles, 69, miles, 77 miles. So after the 106 miles, next leg will only need around 70-75% charge, so do you wait a few hours to then fill up to 70% and leave in morning. Or do you charge to 70% in morning and with each stop being 70+ SOC is it not as tempurature heavy for the battery?

Asking as I've read that charging past 80% can add a lot of heat, though i'm sure getting to 70% isn't a breeze either.

The other challenge is each stop only has ONE CHAdeMO plug. That's a whole other topic I'm sure.

Thanks for any help/suggestions/feedback you can offer.

Don't charge to 98% on chademo. You will generate a lot of heat pushing rapidgate with minimal range gain. Is there no other station between these points?

If there is not, I suggest driving slower. You will NOT get run over. Sure you will piss people off but NEWSFLASH; You will piss people off no matter what you do. 106 miles does not need a full charge.

Get LEAF Spy. Its obvious to me that your expectation of your car is based on the dash. LEAF Spy actually tells you what you have left. No bullshit.

So its my understanding you will drive 170ish miles, stop twice to charge then hit the hotel? If so and you have time (should have a ton) I would charge to your 70% target when you get there so you have overnight for the pack to cool a bit.

Put plugshare on your phone and use it to plan alternate charging scenarios and review checkins for the stations you plan to use. Make sure they have recent successful sessions. Also be prepared to wait if its a weekend. If the station is in a good place, it will likely be busy.

LeafSpy221 said:
Sagebrush, the distances between stops are my only choice. (the 106 miles is the worst and no options around it).

I do have the pro version of leafspy. I'm assuming (haven't done it yet) that you can leave the dongle in place while driving? what about when car is shut off, okay to just "leave it there"?

I was hoping taking first QC to only 70ish percent it'll save me some temp rise. This would be my first big trip so I have not experience in what to expect. The shared experience from the forum is much appreciated.

Leave the dongle in there. Its not recommended to unplug it simply because

a) there is no reason to unplug it
b) the port wasn't designed for a high level of insertions and although I consider it to be a very small risk, its not something you want to wear out.

I don't know where your starting point is but it appears you have level 2 options on your route. Granted, it would be slow but if it could be planned to charge there while on a meal stop, I think this allows you to charge to a more reasonable level on your longer leg. Have you mapped your trip on Plugshare? If not, do so. They provide an elevation map which will be key in determining whether you can make those long stretches.

TBH; I have had these challenges many many times and my goto was simply driving slower.

I will say that at least you have not created unrealistic expectations. I am guessing your first day will be a later start. I see too many people plan their trip to the minute and that doesn't work with EVs. Each stop could be a 20 min wait just to plug in. Your distance goals are quite modest and that is a good thing.

DaveinOlyWA said:
TBH; I have had these challenges many many times and my goto was simply driving slower.
This is the go to for any serious EV driver and I agree 100%, it's interesting that this also works on ICE vehicles but seems to never get any attention I guess because gas stations are so *everywhere* for most people. :lol:
I've had times in the past when the only gas station I could find was closed or had a pump issue and had to drive slow to the next town to find a gas station to converse gas. :shock:

DougWantsALeaf said:
You need Dalas software upgrade for that charge limiting feature.

ewww, perhaps i need to look into this more? not even sure how or what sort of software that would even be?

As to other points brought up.

I'm hoping to do my best to keep it around 60mph in effort to keep the temp down.

Shouldn't need HVAC, open vent should be fine.

Will look into getting the gear reduction oil swapped out.

Found that L2 at end of the 106 mile stretch.

Going from Holly Springs NC (just south of Raleigh) to Jax FL

I did find these stopping points with Plugshare (have the app and an account to pull up online)

Have the paid version of Leafspy and a bluetooth OBDII (though do not have lot of experience with it, only check readings while parked)

A lot of the L2 chargers in Florence SC where i have to get juiced up for 106 mile run are (1) plug options so ICEing and people using them will be a big challenge.

Along the 106 mile stretch, there really isn't many if any options, other than going "off course" and taking risk of finding availability.

My best friend (ICE owner) thinks it's too risky and says to confirm things like can AAA or Nissan be of any help if my battery gets to low to get to a charger.

It is kind of fun "geeking out" on this and I totally appreciate the valuable feedback i'm receiving.

QUICK update before anyone chimes in. I looked over Dala's channel and saw how complex the can-bridge mod would be. Let's just say that's not gonna happen.

I am going to review all the L2 options in and around the Florence stop to see if I can build up some charge before topping off at L3.

Is that the better way to charge to 98% go L2, then L3 or do lower end with L3 first?

An earlier post mentioned to not try to charge fully using DCQC because of heat generated near full charge. The car will taper the charge rate as the battery approaches full charge so DCQC will not be any faster than L2 when the battery is nearly charged. Therefore, the heat generated at that point will be the same although more heat would be generated by DCQC when the battery is low enough to accept high current.

Depending upon the rate structure of the particular DCQC unit, costs may be high to try to charge fully (if charge is based upon charging time). Therefore, it may be cheaper to switch to a nearby L2 station once charge gets above 90% or 95% SOC on the dash. You have Leaf Spy so you can monitor the charge rate. I suggest you use DCQC when the battery is low and then switch to L2 near full charge.

Regarding the Bluetooth OBDII adapter--the only time I unplug mine is when the car is going to the dealer or when it will be parked for extended time (more than a couple days).

LeafSpy221 said:
My best friend (ICE owner) thinks it's too risky and says to confirm things like can AAA or Nissan be of any help if my battery gets to low to get to a charger.

It is kind of fun "geeking out" on this and I totally appreciate the valuable feedback i'm receiving.

If you bought it new, you should get some amount of years of free road-side service (can't remember how many, but I have a card for it in my Leaf just in case), even if it is used, the service might still be good, you can check on that with Nissan I think via the VIN.

All they will do is tow you to the the QC to charge and even then don't let them try to "jump" your 12V battery thinking that is what "drives" the EV and will re-charge it. I can't speak for all tow truck operators, but I've encountered quite a few that are not technical at all. :roll:

As far as when to switch from L3 to L2, I would say that depends on if you really need the extra charge. If your longest leg is 106 miles, seems like you could cover that easily with +80% or better SOC, so trying to top it off as close to 100% might not be necessary. At the same time though, this is your first long distance trip and it's easy for us here to brag about driving +600 miles when we know the route, the alternatives, the backup plans, etc. It's a whole other thing when you are on your own for something you've never done before, so it's always better to be over-prepared for the trip than to just "wing it" along the way without any preparations. ;)

You should be able to get 106 miles expressway from a full charge in good weather. I recently did all of 100 miles on a 17F day using crazy amounts of power to heat the car, but arrived at my charging stop on fumes/sparks. And that was on an almost 3 year old car with over 55k miles and @ 10% capacity loss.

Leafspy is your friend and would mount that phone to the windshield to run leafspy as a 2nd gauge on remaining usable charge in the battery. It’s way way more accurate than the GOM. The battery gauge built into your dashboard will also lie to you because it’s hiding @ 10% of the battery capacity in a reserve. You can see this with leafspy.

I will practice with leafspy and study my car's consumption under varying parameters.

My job is 28 miles (about 19 of that is hwy where i do 70 with reg cruise).

26 deg morning can burn 30-35%. Go home same route at 55 deg and i can make it home using 23%

So temp will be in my favor late March.

I met this person at an NDEW event. 40kw LEAF
This trip is from Colorado to Yellowstone in a 40kw part 1 of a series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z_BXgHgp7M

We talked a lot about down EA in other states. She got told by EA well you should plan your trips but there are not alternate chargers, they got the charger back up for her each time.

She has done some other long trips as well you can see on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK9NawmPNcY

Back