Disable EV Sound on 2021 Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good choice. IIRC, the Recognizers - at least in the video game - sounded like electronic diesel engines. Not very appropriate for an EV. ;)

It's funny, I only saw the movie for the first time a few years ago.

As a person married to someone with partial blindness, I'll weigh in here and just observe that there really is a safety concern. There's no question that ICE cars make more noise than a Leaf when moving slowly. None. A sighted person doesn't walk in the same shoes as someone with a disability. No you're not qualified to judge what it's like to not be able to see.

And if you hit my wife having disabled something that was intended to help her know that you're approaching, plan on hiring a very good attorney to defend your actions in court. We'll see what a jury of your peers has to say about your actions.

I think the whole discussion is ridiculously selfish. Seriously? A little whooing noise bothers you that much? Get over it already.

'Nuff said.

frontrangeleaf said:
I think the whole discussion is ridiculously selfish. Seriously? A little whooing noise bothers you that much? Get over it already.
Actually, the loud backup "beep beep" bothered me a lot. It bothered my daughter a hell of a lot more, as her bedroom was above the garage.

Let me be clear, I did not buy my Leaf with the intention of silently stalking unsuspecting old ladies just to run them over, nor am I planning on modifying the car to make that easier.

That's why we have charge of "Manslaughter" as well as that of "Murder." When it comes to how we interact with others, what we do to them is vastly more important than what we intend, or what we feel about them.

Is there no option to pick a different sound? My neighbor just got an Audi e-tron and i believe he told me he is able to select different sound effects,

Yea I always thought there was an untapped market for downloadable sounds for EVs like steam engine, diesel truck, horse, v8, jet engine. One could even license old video game sounds and have your light cycle or be pac-man.

salyavin said:
Yea I always thought there was an untapped market for downloadable sounds for EVs like steam engine, diesel truck, horse, v8, jet engine. One could even license old video game sounds and have your light cycle or be pac-man.

And Tesla just got told to "recall" their cars for offering this feature (called Boombox).

(and it's a "recall" because Tesla is just issuing an OTA to change the feature.

I had not heard of boombox! I just looked it up on youtube and that is exactly what I was looking for.

I was not aware of this
The law required agency rules to stop manufactures from allowing anyone other than an automaker or dealer to “disable, alter, replace, or modify the pedestrian alert sound or set of sounds.”

Different vehicles sound different, I would have thought most sounds would get peoples attention that something is there unless they are using a silence sound file or something. Bummer.

Hi there,

I just took possession of my new 2022 LEAF last Friday. Overall, I'm pretty happy. While driving, I don't really hear the forward VSP sound. No complaint there.

The back up BEEPing? What a nightmare! It is ridiculously loud. People in my neighborhood several houses away were staring at me backing out of the driveway. Dogs were terrified.

I understand the need for some sound. But this is waaay too much. I would like to try one speaker to see how loud that is. Then try muffling if still too loud. I have tried unplugging the wire at the speaker but can't figure out the connection clip. I have the clip removed from the metal holder but can't separate the connection. So far I'm only sticking my hand through the grille. Not much wiggle room.
1) Can someone tell me how to unclip the connection?
2) Is it as big a problem as I think it will be to actually get full access to the speakers? Can someone offer steps if it is reasonable? I'm not interested in removing the bumper.

I have an SPL meter and I bet my 2010 Honda Insight is much more quiet than the horrible beeping. Once I can make modifications, I will do comparisons.

I am not against a backup warning sound. I just want something reasonable. What I have now is not reasonable.

Thanks for any help offered,
Doug

Welcome. I hear you about the volume. The Leaf isn't actually the worst offender here, though: the Gen III Prius plays a loud backup beep too - but it plays it INSIDE the car! Some sound-reducing foam in front of the speaker(s) ought to help.

I just picked up my 2022 and unfortunately having a hard time with the noise.

I had one of the 1st 2012 leafs in my area and loved it, also have a model 3.

I went through heavy chemo a few years ago and it caused really bad tinnitus. What I love the most about EV’s is the silence, the humm of the tires seems to cancel out the ringing in my ears.

The frequency of the sound of the 22 combined with my tinnitus is like having a screwdriver jammed in my ear.

I was thinking of some type of muffling such as the sock trick , it is not so much the volume as it is the frequency.

I used Leaf Spy pro on my 2019 Leaf to turn off all the sounds: EV sound, back up alert etc..
Also turned the auto locking off and changed the unlock to all doors with one key fob push.
Much better all round in my opinion... :D

I have a 2022 Nissan Leaf Plus (U.S.) and the Leaf Spy Pro doesn't work to turn off the driving sound. I have tried it on a 2020 Leaf Plus and it does work. Something must have changed between the model years, but if anyone knows of a way to disable the driving Canto sound on MY22, please let me know.

Back