Nissan/AV L2 EVSE not charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost all reputable MFG pay return shipping, particularly when it is basically DOA.

EVDRIVER said:
Almost all reputable MFG pay return shipping, particularly when it is basically DOA.
Well, we know what the prevailing public opinion on AV is. :lol:

On the one hand, the regional manager has been calling me all evening to try different things, but we're finally resigned to sending it back. On the other hand, they're adamant about not paying return shipping. They seem miffed that I didn't have them install it...

MrZorg said:
On the one hand, the regional manager has been calling me all evening to try different things, but we're finally resigned to sending it back. On the other hand, they're adamant about not paying return shipping. They seem miffed that I didn't have them install it...
Aren't you asking them to come and replace it for $300 ... ?

Again $300 would seem rather high for 30 minutes work :shock:
I bet a local guy would swap it for $100

At least you should be able to ship it for less than the $50 AV charges
You saved the box, right?

Yeah, I saved the box. I'll swap it myself, thank you very much. Even if I don't get them to pick up my return shipping, I still come out WAAAAY ahead of the game. I think I have the dubious honor of being the first cash-and-carry AV customer to need an RMA. They don't seem to have the process completely figured out yet. The second guy I spoke to said they'd discuss the shipping since it was DOA and see what they decide.

Anyhoo...

A little strange that they won't pay to ship it back.

I don't understand why it matters who installed it. If the unit is faulty, it's faulty and AV should stand behind it. Heck - I've had stuff that costs $25 shipped and had issues and the shipped promptly issued an RMA and paid for the return shipping. This sucker is about $800.

If it turns out to be an issue with the installation - then AV may want to rethink whether then want to do cash and carry - or relook at their documentation to make the installation flawless.

I know, right? Maybe they'll change their mind. From all the tests they had me do, they seem pretty sure it's not the car or the charger proper, but rather a faulty J1772 connector. They said they'd seen this once before, but that since it was their own install they found and swapped it on the spot. They were also quick to point out that the connector was the one piece they bought and didn't make themselves. :lol:

EDIT: typo, it's J1772 not J1172...

MrZorg said:
I know, right? Maybe they'll change their mind. From all the tests they had me do, they seem pretty sure it's not the car or the charger proper, but rather a faulty J1172 connector. They said they'd seen this once before, but that since it was their own install they found and swapped it on the spot. They were also quick to point out that the connector was the one piece they bought and didn't make themselves. :lol:
In that case it makes sense to swap it out yourself.

MrZorg said:
They were also quick to point out that the connector was the one piece they bought and didn't make themselves. :lol:
I am not too surprised with this based on AV's attitude so far. Can you imagine your Leaf not starting, and Nissan saying "Oh, we didn't make the power button".
I can not wait for there to be other sub $1,000 EVSE options so everyone can tell AV to take a hike.

no chance to try another Leaf first? i personally dont think its the plug. if it powers on for 10 seconds then shuts off, its something internal to the EVSE.

DaveinOlyWA said:
that is a bummer. what is the estimated turnaround time?
Since they were willing to cross ship, AV supposedly shipped it out today (I don't have a tracking number though) via UPS Ground. They're in Monrovia, it should get here in two days. So probably Monday unless they sprung for Saturday delivery.

LakeLeaf said:
Someone must have sent them a link to this thread :lol:
Not me... I didn't want to play that card. Though I did point out to several people there that if I bought something defective from any other mail order retailer, THEY would pay to take it back. Whatever the case, it's all worked out now. I just hope the new one works. I'll be sure to report back once I get it.

Back