Any V2G or V2H charger available yet for US?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry if this has been mentioned but this looks interesting, although it is CCS-1 only.

https://www.emporiaenergy.com/how-the-emporia-v2x-charger-works

The Emporia is in it's "design phase" for release in 2023 - believe it when I see it.

Anxious to see how the Ford Lightning/Sunrun home integration system actually performs as it incorporates direct solar inputs for V2H and claims that will soon integrate with V2G for energy arbitrage - using the DC connections of CCS. However, it appears that no one has been able to nail down an actual installation by Sunrun.

dcbel representative keeps stating they are still working the certification issues, but expect to have a workable installation in July - again, we'll see....

Flex Power Control is another to add to the "soon to be" bidirectional EV system:
https://flxpwr.com/product/

I spoke with Fermata again last week and they are currently only making their commercial 3 phase bi directional charger for commercial grid shaving. They are now claiming 2023 for their single phase residential unit.

watchdoc said:
I spoke with Fermata again last week and they are currently only making their commercial 3 phase bi directional charger for commercial grid shaving. They are now claiming 2023 for their single phase residential unit.

Thanks watchdoc;
Are their units grid tied only? Can they provide "backup" power - designed for auto grid disconnect? Are they DC based EV charge connected - and if so, will they also manage DC based solar inputs? To me, these are important features for both resilience and also future renewable integration via EV battery energy storage.
Just curious.

No details have been given for their residential units. Their 3 phase commericals units are strictly targeted towards grid shaving and grid arbitrage for business. They're targeting small community utilities that would have to pay peak prices.

Actually then, nothing new - Princeton Power did this over 4 years ago - but little to no market and failed. This will change, however with integration of V2X and Distributed Energy Resource Management (IMO).

Waiting, waiting, waiting. I'll never get out of here. I'll die in Casablanca.

I have been waiting for real v2h since 2011. Very disappointed with Nissan on this matter.

mgoleta said:

I have been waiting for real v2h since 2011. Very disappointed with Nissan on this matter.

To your point, I'm likely going to sell my 2021 SV+ at some point and go with another EV when CCS bidirectionality settles down and allows the EV to be a seamless grid backup - AND grid tied for energy arbitrage. Also very disappointed in Nissan - especially with the limited battery capacity available in the Ariya (IMO).

Another disappointment seems to be the Ford Lightning's implementation of home "integration" with Sunrun - a cludge of DC backup with only AC grid tied charging - not the functionality needed for a home "nanogrid" - again IMO.

Yeah, I haven't seen any "real" V2G options for ccs yet, and nothing substantial in the US. The expanded UK V2G pilots and Japan set ups are the furthest along, but are all chademo still.

Marktm said:
mgoleta said:

To your point, I'm likely going to sell my 2021 SV+ at some point and go with another EV when CCS bidirectionality settles down and allows the EV to be a seamless grid backup - AND grid tied for energy arbitrage. Also very disappointed in Nissan - especially with the limited battery capacity available in the Ariya (IMO).

Another disappointment seems to be the Ford Lightning's implementation of home "integration" with Sunrun - a cludge of DC backup with only AC grid tied charging - not the functionality needed for a home "nanogrid" - again IMO.

yeah, the Ford HIS is expensive and sorta underpowered IMO.

I ordering standard range Lightning with the 9.6 inverter (7.2 in the bed) and just run a big Sol Ark 15k inverter and use the generator input in the event of a power outage. Meanwhile the Sol Ark will dump any excess PV into the truck since my local utilties net metering policies blow. Zero export microgrid or selfish solar on steriods.

"Nissan Approves Fermata Energy’s Bidirectional Charger as First for Use with Nissan LEAF in the U.S."

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220906005819/en/Nissan-Approves-Fermata-Energy%E2%80%99s-Bidirectional-Charger-as-First-for-Use-with-Nissan-LEAF-in-the-U.S

Seems like it is still only available for business and commercial customers. Hope a consumer grade version will become available soon as well.

More Fermata Press articles floating around but Fermata still won't still any info about their upcoming home V2H bidrectional charger. I've been asking them questions like. What's the intverter rated for? What's the pass through ability? Will it have a solar charge controller? and of course, How much will it cost?

https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/12/23349971/nissan-leaf-bidirectional-charging-approved-v2h-v2g-fermata-energy

Right now, the Ford home integration system (HIS) by Delta and Sunrun are the only bidirectional game in town. I still have yet to see an actual dcbel R16 install documented anywhere.

Fermata emailed me today. They said their first commercial V2G requires 3 phase 480V power. They said to send back location and number of Leafs in my fleet for consideration.

Sadly my fleet is just 2, and I don't know if I really want to invest in 3 phase power to my home...guessing it's not worth the investment.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Fermata emailed me today. They said their first commercial V2G requires 3 phase 480V power.

I got an email from them today too. They said in their email:
We will have a residential system available in mid-2023 and will share details when available.

I wish we could get some specs from Fermata. The dcbel r16 looks promising as well. The only downfall I see with that unit so far is the 7.6kw of AC output from the inverter and the single MPPT only allowing 10 kw of solar. Curiously, the CCS version is double both those figures.

Its worth mentioning the original Nissan "power to home" unit sold in Japan was rated at 6kw and 30amps of output.

The response from Fermata was the current approved V2G is only for commercial installations. Regarding their V2H development for household use was:
"We will have a residential system available in mid-2023 and will share details when available."

Princeton Power sold a 480 VAC fast charger that was bidirectional about 5 years ago (CHAdeMO based) and went out of business. dcbel is still waiting for "certifications" for US installations. I have been invited to witness when an actual install is complete and operational. I'm beginning to wonder if that will really happen :|
Again, IMO, I'll be moving on to a CCS based EV before a true solar based V2X system is ever available - and likely NOT CHAdeMO based. Just IMO.

watchdoc said:
I wish we could get some specs from Fermata. The dcbel r16 looks promising as well. The only downfall I see with that unit so far is the 7.6kw of AC output from the inverter and the single MPPT only allowing 10 kw of solar. Curiously, the CCS version is double both those figures.

Its worth mentioning the original Nissan "power to home" unit sold in Japan was rated at 6kw and 30amps of output.

Hi watchdog - i hope you dont mind me jumping in here (I work for dcbel) but i wanted to share an update on the r16 home energy station. Here's a post we did a week ago with photos of our units heading off for their final testing. Happy to help answer any questions on the topic of V2H / V2G ! https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6999108743867105280

Hey BenjaminT, glad to see you here.

We are installing a solar system this fall/early next year (in utility approval now, build pending) using REC panels and Enphase microinverters. Tesla Powerwall a likely upgrade looking beyond initial phase (enough battery to be useful, but no more than needed for minor outages, given that we own a Leaf SL+).

I understand your system is DC coupled only. Can you confirm?

If so, are you planning on an AC coupled version some time in the future?

Back