CHADEMO to CCS adapter?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw this at an EA station down the road, a CCS to Tesla adapter. If this company was able to figure out the locking and electronics to make it work with a Tesla, then it should be possible to make one for ChaDeMo that is similar to this and be quite functional. :)

iE3p88d.jpg

knightmb said:
Saw this at an EA station down the road, a CCS to Tesla adapter. If this company was able to figure out the locking and electronics to make it work with a Tesla, then it should be possible to make one for ChaDeMo that is similar to this and be quite functional. :)

iE3p88d.jpg

And what company is this?

DaveinOlyWA said:
knightmb said:

Setec, the adapter cost +$600

knightmb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
knightmb said:

Setec, the adapter cost +$600

The SETEC adaptor is fairly common among tesla owners in northern B.C. few Superchargers and lots of Chademo/CCS, and more all the time.

We just use our Chademo adaptor. Works.

I bought the Setec adapter and it didn't work on a Model S or a Model 3 at ANY of the three EA and EVgo stations I went to. Contacted them for a refund and they wanted me to start trying different firmware. I didn't want to, but I tried their new firmware. It didn't work either. 0%.

Returned it for a refund...

If you follow the Tesla forums that discuss this adapter, there has been documented damage to a couple of Tesla Model 3's with particular revisions of firmware from Setec. Other people have had success in getting it to work, but it seems to be hit or miss. No thanks....I'll wait for something official from Tesla...

DougWantsALeaf said:
I thought Tesla had found a way to make the Setec adapter not work anymore.
A Tesla OTA changed something that caused the Setec to stop working, but Setec released a firmware update right after. At the time, Setec said they changed the firmware output to be more within spec. Why would Tesla want to make it stop working?

jlv said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
I thought Tesla had found a way to make the Setec adapter not work anymore.
A Tesla OTA changed something that caused the Setec to stop working, but Setec released a firmware update right after. At the time, Setec said they changed the firmware output to be more within spec. Why would Tesla want to make it stop working?

Sounds like they are working on their own adapter and protecting their profit projections.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Setec adapters are also not permitted by policy by many DC charging networks. Hard to stop in practice though.

Seems like EVgo is doing a fairly good job of it. But then why would they not? They are in the process of providing adapter not needed charging solutions so...

No word on whether they will equip all their stations with the Tesla plug but they have made decent progress here. One thing I haven't checked (because I can't) is whether any of the 100 kw chademo's are getting the Tesla plug added and whether those would charge faster than 50 kw?

Back