Price for gas in BC

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alozzy

Feeling lucky to have switched to an EV 5 years ago as our primary car...

Gas prices in Vancouver (Canada) are predicted to reach $6 USD per gallon equivalent ($2.00 per liter CAD) by this weekend.

Just over the border, in Seattle, gas prices are as low as $3.40 USD per gallon.

To be sure, we have a carbon tax and other government taxes here that don't exist in Washington State, but those accounted for, we still pay way more per gallon than our friends to the South.

Not really ranting, as hopefully these gas prices will motivate more BC residents to buy EVs.

I'm my metro area of California, I've already seen over $5/US gallon regular unleaded at two or three different stations.

https://gasprices.aaa.com/?state=CA can give you an idea of CA prices.

The spiking prices for crude oil (past $105 USD per barrel) due to Russia's invasion of Ukraine are a big factor/an excuse for rising gas prices.

alozzy said:
Just over the border, in Seattle, gas prices are as low as $3.40 USD per gallon.

Oh? Local station is about $4 USD per gallon. King county (aka "Seattle") is $4.33 USD per gallon.

https://gasprices.aaa.com/?state=WA

Link show current prices, which changes by the day.

WetEV said:
alozzy said:

Oh? Local station is about $4 USD per gallon. King county (aka "Seattle") is $4.33 USD per gallon.

https://gasprices.aaa.com/?state=WA

Link show current prices, which changes by the day.

i was relying on GasBuddy:

https://www.gasbuddy.com/gasprices/washington

You are right though, the cheapest gas isn't all that close to Seattle. Still, at $4 USD per gallon that's still $2 USD per gallon less than what we pay in BC.

Currently gas in my area(Minneapolis/St. Paul) gas is $3.64-3.79 with Costco and Sams coming in at $3.18 which is generally cost and in my state no one can sell gas for less than cost by law.
My state the Dems if you can believe it, are talking about dropping our state gas tax for the summer! this is normally a Republican stunt to get more votes but I guess the Dems are trying to get on the bandwagon and wouldn't you know it, the Republicans are balking :roll:
Of course no talk about temporarily dropping the unfair "EV" tax which I've figured in my case would means I'm paying equivalent gas tax if I drove 20k/year even though on my EVs I drive less than 6k/year!
Personally gas can skyrocket as much as it wants, maybe people will stop buying the most inefficient vehicles they can, big large pickups and SUVs and when a smaller car, the ones with the largest inefficient engines. IMO we should be raising the gas tax not lowering to pay for our roads but I know it would be political suicide and therefore it would never fly for politicians who care way more about getting reelected than whats best in the long run....

The problem with a gas tax is that it's regressive, harming the working poor much more than the affluent. A tax on GVR, with exceptions for older vehicles used mainly by the working poor, would be better. And yes, they should tax EVs in line with how much road wear they cause, not for as much as they can squeeze from the generally Middle Class drivers.

I have little idea how much gas costs here. I want to say around $4.00. I did buy 1.5 gallons for the snowblower a couple of months ago...

jjeff said:
Personally, gas can skyrocket as much as it wants, maybe people will stop buying the most inefficient vehicles they can, big large pickups and SUVs and when a smaller car, the ones with the largest inefficient engines. IMO we should be raising the gas tax not lowering to pay for our roads but I know it would be political suicide and therefore it would never fly for politicians who care way more about getting reelected than whats best in the long run....

Yes, the one big advantage that autocratic and communist countries have over democratic republics like the US and Canada is that they can strategize long term, without having to constantly focus on the current or next election cycle. It seems like nothing gets done anymore at a federal government level - they spend all of their time bickering. It sure makes transitioning to a greener economy an even more monumental task...

Back