LeafSpy issues after 30kWh->40kWh swap

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agt

My 2016 S30 recently received a 30kWh->40kWh warranty replacement (hooray!) which seems to be throwing LeafSpy (iOS 1.7.38) for a loop:

I'm seeing crazy metrics e.g. AHr fluctuates 95 to 6500, SOC 83% to 269%, Hx 280% to 580%, random shifts between 24/40/62 capacities despite specifying manually. However the GID values (100% == 499) seem correct for a new 40kWh and decrease as expected when driving.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? If it's new I'll capture some debug traces and send them to the developer.

agt said:
My 2016 S30 recently received a 30kWh->40kWh warranty replacement (hooray!) which seems to be throwing LeafSpy (iOS 1.7.38) for a loop:
You need to go into the "settings" screen and select the model year and battery type (e.g. 2016 and 40kWh)...and then hit Backup. Then, you need to Restore those settings (same screen) every time you run LeafSpy.
I have to do the same thing every time I use LeafSpy after I installed a 40kWh pack in my 2011 Leaf.

Ok, I'm having the same issue as the OP. But I have not found that doing a Backup, then Restore each time makes any difference. Still strange numbers in SOC, Wildly varying Ah estimate.

And another issue is that the QC and L2 charge counts are still from the old battery. One thread over on Reddit says that Leaf Spy Pro can be used to somehow reset the DTC codes and get the correct charge counts. But no other users were able to replicate that trick.

It does indeed look like I have a new 40 Kwh battery. That much is something to be very happy about of course. No where on my paperwork did the dealer actually say that's what they put in though.

cdherman said:
It does indeed look like I have a new 40 Kwh battery. That much is something to be very happy about of course. No where on my paperwork did the dealer actually say that's what they put in though.
Until you answer this question (what they installed), you can't properly configure LeafSpy to get accurate readings (MY/battery type).
Also, I would ignore whatever you read on "Reddit": this forum is the "go to" place for Leaf info.

Nissan reflashes the VCM to get the 40kWh battery to work with the car. This has negative effects on Leafspy, teoretically you should set your model year to 2018 with a 40kWh battery to get better values, but it still won't be perfect.

Back