would not being able to access nissan connect be considered a safty issue ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjb750j

I saw a guy being interviewed that had a grand cherokee and he stated with the 3g conectivity going away in his jeep, if the air bags deploy he will lose the SOS feature ( I am assuming that a signal would be sent to a montering center that the air bags have been deployed so help would automaticly be sent ).
Does the Nissan Connect feature offer the same procetion ? And what other features that would be considered saftey related that no longer have the connectivity needed to work.
It was a balmy 10 degrees here yesterday morning and guess who forgot to set the timer to preheat my car ? Son of a bi**h !!
Anyway, with the knowledge base of this group I figured I would ask, do our LEAF's rely on 3g for saftey features..
I love my LEAF and have no reason to get rid of it , but I do feel that NISSAN is kind of ignoring this problem and a statement from them addressing this issue would be great.

The SOS feature is a paid service and will go away on any new car after the 6 Month trial for Nissan Connect Premium ends. You still get some of the basic features but a number of remote capability along with SOS features go away if one choses not to pay. As such it is hard to argue that this is a safety feature that Nissan is obliged to keep up and running since it is an option for users to opt-in and pay for.

I agree, it sucks that 3G is going away and Nissan is not doing much to address the situation by offering a path forward.

mjb750j said:
Anyway, with the knowledge base of this group I figured I would ask, do our LEAF's rely on 3g for saftey features.
No.
I can't tell what model/year of Leaf you have from your profile, but you can replace any Gen1 Leaf's TCU with an OVMS module, which will allow you to do things like pre-heat the car. You can search the forum (or my name) for a "how to" thread on OVMS.

Stanton said:
mjb750j said:
Anyway, with the knowledge base of this group I figured I would ask, do our LEAF's rely on 3g for saftey features.
No.
I can't tell what model/year of Leaf you have from your profile, but you can replace any Gen1 Leaf's TCU with an OVMS module, which will allow you to do things like pre-heat the car. You can search the forum (or my name) for a "how to" thread on OVMS.

year and model is located in the lower left corner of my post 2016SL
I will check out your post. thanks for the info.

There's no safety aspect of it at all, 100% just for convenience. I achieve the same function with a normal remote starter installed on mine.

Some manufacturers like Jeep do include an SOS function in the case of a crash that uses the car's onboard telematics. Though I find Ford's approach to be the better way where it will dial 911 using your phone over Bluetooth in the case of a crash, meaning no hardware upgrade to the car is required to maintain functionality, just upgrade your phone (as you would anyways).

As a result it just seems like the more "futureproof" approach where the 911 Assist on my mother's 2008 Escape would still work perfectly fine today, but 2017 LEAFs with NissanConnect get phased out cause 3G.

Back