"Stop Vehicle" message on dash

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, at least we'll have something to knock around other than just Volts now!

derkraut said:
Hey; I'm an old, simple, conservative type of guy; and I'm really beginning to have reservations about this car. I mean--almost every day when I peruse this forum, I read about a new "issue".

If this was a new ICE vehicle, it would probably be classified a pending "lemon" by now. :( :eek:

Keep in mind watching posts in a forum is not a good way to determine reliability of a new vehicle! For every problem you might see reported, you can assume there's some high number of good experiences that aren't.

You will likely see almost all the real problems and then some (that aren't really problems) reported here.

Ingineer said:
Keep in mind watching posts in a forum is not a good way to determine reliability of a new vehicle! For every problem you might see reported, you can assume there's some high number of good experiences that aren't.

You will likely see almost all the real problems and then some (that aren't really problems) reported here.

+1

Absolutely right. Same goes for product reviews on retailer websites. There's really only two kinds of people who are going to post, those who are fanboys and absolutely love the product, or those who have had bad luck and are really pissed about it. As Ingineer said, for every post/review you see on either side of that spectrum, there's easily 10x as many people in the middle who are perfectly happy and not posting at all.

dyhopper said:
The "expert" is coming from California and will be here tomorrow afternoon. My Blink install is actually Thursday and is not a media event, as far as I know. He just said they'd have a camera there to record the install. There actually is a big media event next week at my house though. I better have the Leaf back by then! PDXLeafer, I assume you turned these guys down for this event? I can't think of any reason that it would be at my place instead of yours, except maybe I happened to be there when they called.
The problem started this morning after being in a nice dry garage all night, so I doubt it's rain related. But, who knows.
Yeah, they did call and ask and I did turn it down. Had enough media for a while :)

Sounds like they actually sent 3-4 guys up from California to check out the car. Still hopeful that it is a quick and easy fix, but I suspect it will be a few days. :cry: At least we know they are taking these problems seriously.

derkraut said:
Hey; I'm an old, simple, conservative type of guy; and I'm really beginning to have reservations about this car. I mean--almost every day when I peruse this forum, I read about a new "issue".

If this was a new ICE vehicle, it would probably be classified a pending "lemon" by now. :( :eek:

the BIGGEST role of this forum is to share issues and experiences but mostly as a learning experience which means the issues will primarily be of two areas; discovery and non-discovery. i can EASILY overwhelm this forum with everything that is right about this car, but we dont really want to hear that. we want to know what i found that does not work, or should work differently.

dont be thrown by bug reports. remember for every issue, there are hundreds of "issue-free" incidents. also, remember this is a new car and will have problems. some will fall thru the cracks. the only thing that really matters (as long as issues do not affect a significant # of cars and so far it has not) is what Nissan does to address the issue.

to insure a great product launch, i believe they will bend over backwards to make the customer happy. the last thing they need right now is an unhappy customer crowing about how their issue could not be fixed. so, one way or another, Nissan will have the customer happy. now there is always the possibility that there is a problem and Nissan cant fix it. i think that possibility is very remote.

but the key thing is having owners with the issues, reporting as many details as they can so we can understand the process and what we might expect.

Well said!!! The fact that Nissan sent three or four experts from Ca. to Oregon to "fix" the Leaf says a great deal about Nissan`s commitment to doing things right.

umm, ok. now we have established that we are getting a warning on the dash.

so we are either fixing software or the car. as i understand it, the OP drove the car without issues. so it maybe a software thing. (which is VERY easy to believe) over a hardware thing which i would think Nissan techs at the dealer would have probably discovered on their own

Latest from the dealer:

"The field engineers have ordered a new TCU for your vehicle for tomorrow morning. They found a hard failure with that unit that they believe is disrupting the CAN-BUS communication line between other systems."

What is a TCU?

dyhopper said:
Latest from the dealer:

"The field engineers have ordered a new TCU for your vehicle for tomorrow morning. They found a hard failure with that unit that they believe is disrupting the CAN-BUS communication line between other systems."

What is a TCU?
See Dark Star's post (below)

dyhopper said:
Latest from the dealer:

What is a TCU?

Good news that it's something that can be fixed pretty fast...even better news is that parts are available in under 24 hours...I doubt it has to come from Japan.

Ready2plugin said:
Good news that it's something that can be fixed pretty fast...even better news is that parts are available in under 24 hours...I doubt it has to come from Japan.
May be an off the shelf product ?

Ready2plugin said:
dyhopper said:
Latest from the dealer:

What is a TCU?

I wouldn't be so sure. I've tracked my Apple computer from Shanghi, China to my front door in 24 hours. If something like this is on a high-priority for Nissan, the part would be on the next flight out of Oppama to the US. That flight would only be...what...9-10 hours? That's the duration of a Tokoyo-LA flight. :geek:

ok, so its not the car , its part of the support structure of the car. the owner could have continued to drive it without issues until Carwings was fixed...kinda sounds like my issue.

Just got a call from the dealer regarding my Leaf. I talked to the technician for awhile and he explained everything to me. The first night they disconnected the 12v battery (since you couldn't completely turn the car off and it would have drained the battery). After reconnecting, the problem could not be reproduced.
But, the TCU was still reporting a "hard fault" and the meter assembly also was reporting some error code. These have been replaced on my car and they are taking them back for further testing. But, my car is back in business. Yeah! And, if it happens to anyone else I think they'll know exactly where to look now.
Overall, I am extremely happy with how this was handled. They clearly are intent on keeping us happy and quickly taking care of any issue.

Not looking forward to stopping by the gas station to fill up my loaner. :lol:

Back