Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
Please tell us that the tray went away for driving.

Due to the steering wheel design, the tray will only mount when wheel is upside down so unless I am "circling the lot" I had no choice but to remove it. :lol:

This showed up in a Hertz advert i recieved today:

Your journey is in range.

You can drive up to 358 miles on a single charge, depending on the model.* That means you could get from Orlando, FL to Hilton Head, SC or from Chicago, IL to St. Louis, MO without needing to stop and recharge. There are also over 46,000 charging stations in the U.S., with an average of 70 miles between them. Hop into your EV and go wherever the road may lead.

Question for M3 LR drivers on the board. Do you think your M3 could do Chicago to St. Louis on a charge (300 miles if going from center to center) all seasons of the year? The good news is that it's pretty flat. I am sure with a eye on energy efficiency it's doable in summer at 70mph, but I worry about the ev novice drivers that don't understand the dynamics.

DougWantsALeaf said:
This showed up in a Hertz advert i recieved today:

Your journey is in range.

You can drive up to 358 miles on a single charge, depending on the model.* That means you could get from Orlando, FL to Hilton Head, SC or from Chicago, IL to St. Louis, MO without needing to stop and recharge. There are also over 46,000 charging stations in the U.S., with an average of 70 miles between them. Hop into your EV and go wherever the road may lead.

Question for M3 LR drivers on the board. Do you think your M3 could do Chicago to St. Louis on a charge (300 miles if going from center to center) all seasons of the year? The good news is that it's pretty flat. I am sure with a eye on energy efficiency it's doable in summer at 70mph, but I worry about the ev novice drivers that don't understand the dynamics.

To your specific question, the short answer is no. As for the novice EV drivers, you don't have to worry about them. Being novice's, they'll be more likely to obey the instructions of their in-car NAV and thus will stop to charge when and where directed to. It's the drivers who think they know better that get themselves into trouble.

US And Canada: Tesla Stopped Taking Orders For Model 3 Long Range
Tesla CEO Elon Musk explained why and when we might see it back again.
https://insideevs.com/news/604182/tesla-stopped-orders-model3-lr-us/

DougWantsALeaf said:
Question for M3 LR drivers on the board. Do you think your M3 could do Chicago to St. Louis on a charge (300 miles if going from center to center) all seasons of the year?

Well my M3 LR is now over 4 years old and even when new did not have the range that current ones do. But to answer the question, it definitely would not. Right now my 100% charge yields me right around 300 miles of range from 100 to 0, and that's in cooperative weather. It would not do that in the winter.

Am I worried about Hertz setting up customers for failure here?

No, definitely not!

1) I think most consumers are wary enough of marketing speak to realize that "your mileage may vary" certainly applies in this case.

2) I suspect many Tesla rentals (like most rentals in general) are local area rentals anyway (different city rentals are already pretty expensive--I bet even more so with a Tesla). Plus it's not like someone sees that ad and makes a specific plan to rent a car in Chicago to go to St. Louis, or any other perfectly 300 mile apart cities. Most of the time they will be either well under 300 miles, or well over, enough that a charge is going to be needed anyway.

3) Those customers that aren't familiar with the dynamics (or EVs in general) are already going to be more nervous/cautious about running out of charge. If anything, I see them stopping to charge way before necessary; sticking around until the car is back up to 100%, or even stopping at a destination charger thinking it will only be a 30 minute stop.

4) If they are using the in-car nav, the car itself will keep them out of trouble (provided they follow the very clear warnings that there is not enough charge to make it to their destination and follow the navigation to an appropriate Supercharger).

lpickup said:
2) I suspect many Tesla rentals (like most rentals in general) are local area rentals anyway (different city rentals are already pretty expensive--I bet even more so with a Tesla). Plus it's not like someone sees that ad and makes a specific plan to rent a car in Chicago to go to St. Louis, or any other perfectly 300 mile apart cities. Most of the time they will be either well under 300 miles, or well over, enough that a charge is going to be needed anyway.

4) If they are using the in-car nav, the car itself will keep them out of trouble (provided they follow the very clear warnings that there is not enough charge to make it to their destination and follow the navigation to an appropriate Supercharger).

2+
The *only* EV that will work as a rental today is Tesla, specifically because the car takes the thinking out of long distance driving. Other EVs will catch up soon enough, because they have to if they want to sell to a population unable to calculate range.

SageBrush said:
lpickup said:

2+
The *only* EV that will work as a rental today is Tesla, specifically because the car takes the thinking out of long distance driving. Other EVs will catch up soon enough, because they have to if they want to sell to a population unable to calculate range.

Overstated.

Some locations have no real long distance driving to think about. Think O‘ahu, roughly 40 miles long, with the airport in the middle.

Or this:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Hertz+Car+Rental+-++Kahului+Airport+(OGG)/20.7938259,-156.0512989/Triple+L+Ranch+Private+Custom+Horseback+Rides/20.7101449,-156.2527645/NeverDry+Divers/Old+Lahaina+Luau/Karen+Lei's+Gallery/20.8913528,-156.4416429/@20.5750476,-156.6433717,9.04z/data=!4m35!4m34!1m5!1m1!1s0x7954d2b092fe5e0b:0x5a7230dd7cf64f32!2m2!1d-156.4412691!2d20.8910565!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x7954c388b351a31b:0xd9f6d31fd6cb6a36!2m2!1d-156.3673145!2d20.619137!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x7954dabaf8ad5235:0xa6cd794ba482e2be!2m2!1d-156.4210344!2d20.6994584!1m5!1m1!1s0x79552ba3a8192b47:0x3e29ebcbc1c54e6a!2m2!1d-156.6850724!2d20.8859312!1m5!1m1!1s0x7eab2b8f1ff21b49:0xdd3d31ad8ec70a4a!2m2!1d-156.5459179!2d20.9970782!1m0!3e0

Not a single Tesla quick charging station. Or any other, for that matter. Better have lodging with charging with any EV.

WetEV said:
SageBrush said:
Overstated.
Corner cases respectfully excluded. Happy ?

I realize that not all trips in a rental are long distance in any city. But I think it unlikely that a rental agency will buy both short distance and long distance EVs. That is not efficient purchasing. In general, a rental business buys what will cover the largest fraction of its profitable customers.

Thanks

I could argue that a Taycan or Lucid would work as well, but would sit in a premium car class, and not for your average business renter.

Neat to see the change happen, especially as I am renting more cars for business trips again.

Back