Warning: Battery Replacement Cost Increase (now $8500)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stanton said:
alozzy said:
If I did the upgrade, I would definitely plan on driving it into the ground.
That is exactly what I intend to do, and with the Leaf's (good) track record I may be very happy for a long time.

I agree, it's a gamble that will likely pay off for you. My Leaf has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. The battery pack is the one Achilles heal, and you've solved that problem!

I spoke to my local Nissan dealer today about a battery replacement for my 2015 leaf with 24KWH battery. The guy at the service desk looked confused, told me it was a 24V battery and that it would cost $15K to replace it. When I looked skeptical, he admitted that he didn't know what he was talking about and sent me to the parts department because they knew more about such things.

The first guy at the parts counter had to call for another guy. But, the second parts guy said that they did 1-2 battery replacements per year and that the cost for the battery is currently $7,650. He gave me a quote on paper. The part number listed is 295B0-9RB8A. He wasn't sure what the capacity of that battery was, but he went back and asked the mechanic who does all of the battery swaps and that guy said it was a 24KWH unit.

My car has 100K miles on it at this point, and it's lost two bars of capacity. It's just starting to be a problem for me as far as being able to go where I want to go.

Can anyone tell me what is the actual capacity of part number 295B0-9RB8A? If that is a 30kwh unit, I might just go ahead and pull the trigger.

Thanks!

mike

I see no clear answer, but I don't think that Nissan would list the 30kwh battery as a direct replacement for 2011-2015, so odds are that it's the 24kwh battery. Also, they have supposedly run out of 30kwh units.

i found Part Number: 295B0-9RB9D for the same price online, and it says it works for 2011-2017...not sure about capacity since it has no useful information such as that at parts. nissanusa. com

Maybe it's a 40 ? probably not there are 2 higher prices versions above this one.

although said:
If that is a 30kwh unit
Nissan has never offered 30 kWh pack replacements for LEAFs that started out with 24 kWh packs, and they are not going to start. I have seen some chatter about **40** kWh packs as replacements but I cannot remember of any actual swaps and the price was high -- in the $20k range IIRC.

although said:
Can anyone tell me what is the actual capacity of part number 295B0-9RB8A? If that is a 30kwh unit, I might just go ahead and pull the trigger.
If Nissan was selling a 40 kWh pack for anything <$8k...then we should all line up to buy one (and flip it).
That's got to be a 24 kWh pack (it's already been pointed out that the 30 kWh packs have been discontinued).

Pretty sure that part number 295B0-9RB9D is the 24 kWh replacement pack kit for 2011/2012 LEAFs with the cold weather package.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/776208255810499/user/1640573337 has a report of someone paying $9500 including tax and labor to get a replacement 24 kWh pack.

Becky50 said:
I am very disappointed to hear this as I have been planning all along to buy a replacement battery once my 2012 LEAF doesn't meet my driving needs. So far it still meets 95% of my driving needs as a two bar loser. I was hoping to make my LEAF last a good 15 years. That seems to now be doubtful and I am very disappointed.

Sameee... At that time I was also planning to buy a replacement battery

I finally took the plunge and bought a brand new silver 2022 LEAF S after driving my 2012 LEAF for ten years. I so love the newer design and the longer range. My 2012 now gets 40-50 miles per charge. I have loaned it to my son-in-law, who has a 25 mike commute & can charge at work. So it is still in service. We are both very happy.

Becky50 said:
I finally took the plunge and bought a brand new silver 2022 LEAF S after driving my 2012 LEAF for ten years. I so love the newer design and the longer range. My 2012 now gets 40-50 miles per charge. I have loaned it to my son-in-law, who has a 25 mike commute & can charge at work. So it is still in service. We are both very happy.

You'll enjoy the better battery tech too. I've put over +50K miles on my 2020 and the battery is still giving me 100% of the advertised range plus extra since I drive on good eco tires and know how to drive efficiently. My original 2013 was down a noticeable bit on range by +50K miles, but I knew that time was coming and planned for it. This time, I was expecting the same, but no change in measurable range and while the battery does have *some* reduced capacity as far as looking at the technical health of it, the range is unaffected from what I expect to have or plan for when doing long trips. Overall, very, very happy with it. That and all the oil changes, filter changes, belt changes, etc, along with all the other stuff on the ICE I was able to skip. ;)

Back