All "Future" battery technology thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GCC:
Toyota EV with solid-state batteries: 10-minute full charge, prototype reportedly due in 2021

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...-full-charge-prototype-reportedly-due-in-2021

Toyota hopes to be the first automaker to launch an electric car with solid-state batteries, aiming to unveil a prototype next year, ahead of a production launch relatively soon after that, Nikkei Asia reported Thursday.

The automaker expects electric cars powered by solid-state batteries to have more than twice the range of vehicles using current lithium-ion battery chemistry, with the ability to fully recharge in just 10 minutes, according to the report, which also said Toyota has over 1,000 patents related to solid-state batteries. . . .

The timetable discussed in the report is accelerated from what a top Toyota executive suggested just this summer. In an interview with Automotive News in July, Keiji Kaita, executive vice president of Toyota's powertrain division, said limited production of solid-state batteries would start in 2025. . . .

Toyota's always said they thought current (read Li-ion) battery tech wasn't good enough for the mass market consumer, and they've been doing R&D on solid-state batteries for over a decade accordingly. It does seem like we may be within 5 years or so of seeing the first solid-state batteries available in cars consumers can buy.

I'm excited to see solid state batteries hit the streets. I do think that Toyota is going to have a hard time entering the EV market, though. They have no real experience building EVs - the latest RAV4 EV powertrain was purchased from Tesla. We have seen time and again that building a compelling EV is more than slapping an electric powertrain in a car.

Considering how unreliable the Tesla-supplied RAV4 BEV's powertrains was and Tesla's poor QC in general, and how Toyota believes in taking their time over new development so that their cars are generally very reliable, I'm far more confident of the reliability of any BEV they decide is ready to sell than I am of any Tesla.

Along that line, while I haven't done any counts this year due to Covid altering the traffic patterns and likely distribution, my impression is that the Prius Prime now ranks #2 behind the M3 among the number of PEVs I see locally. I haven't yet figured out how to I.D. RAV4 Primes, but as the number of them available this year is ludicrously less than the demand, I don't know if I've even seen one yet.

IEVS:
FutureBridge Predicts Solid-State Battery Cost Will Match Lithium-Ion By 2025

https://insideevs.com/news/491713/solid-state-batteries-here-in-2030/

. . . The prediction is that by 2030 we will start to see mass commercialization of vehicles equipped with SSBs, although it could probably happen sooner than that. Toyota (in partnership with Panasonic), for instance, has announced its intention to be the first automaker to sell an electric vehicle equipped with an SSB, promising a one charge range of 500 km and recharge time from flat to full of just 10 minutes - it has also stated that it will have a running prototype in 2021, but it did not give a clear time frame as to when it could be commercially available. . . .

One of the hottest debate topics among EV aficionados has to do with the unavoidable steady drop in battery capacity that lithium-ion packs exhibit over time. And since battery packs are so expensive, it would be ideal to keep them in usable condition for as long as possible. Toyota says it is aiming for its SSBs to have a lifespan of 30 years - by that it means they should still retain 90 percent of their original capacity after three decades of normal use. . . .

If and when Toyota or anyone else can hit the bolded performance and longevity goals at affordable prices, it'll be game over for LDV ICEs.

GCR:
GM sees lithium-metal battery tech as a next step for more range, lower cost

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...tech-as-a-next-step-for-more-range-lower-cost

. . . During a Washington Post Live virtual conference Thursday, GM president Mark Reuss announced the automaker will move to lithium-metal for its next-generation batteries, and is entering into a partnership with SolidEnergy Systems (SES) for development and production. GM was an early investor in SES, in 2015. . . .

GM first discussed lithium-metal batteries last March, showcased a lithium-metal battery cell as the next step after lithium-ion cells (and potentially before other solid-state cells arrive) as part of a press backgrounder on its electrification plans.

Two months later, GM battery boss Tim Grewe told Green Car Reports that twice the energy density of today's battery cells was possible, which would "easily enable 500-600-mile vehicles in the future."

GM also plans to use a wireless battery-management system in future vehicles, allowing it to substitute in the new type of battery without having to completely rethink its battery packs.

Many automakers are hunting for a battery breakthrough to address issues of range and cost, but few have committed to new tech. Volkswagen is also betting on lithium-metal, with partner QuantumScape, which claims its ceramic-electrolyte cells can are safer and can accommodate an 80% charge in less than 15 minutes

I'll believe it when I see it but Nissan announced a solid state battery for $75/kWh that they claim will be made in-house and ship in 2028.

https://insideevs.com/news/551144/nissan-proprietary-solid-state-batteries/

goldbrick said:
I'll believe it when I see it but Nissan announced a solid state battery for $75/kWh that they claim will be made in-house and ship in 2028.

https://insideevs.com/news/551144/nissan-proprietary-solid-state-batteries/

Nissan is late. Various solid state batteries are in prototype production, and likely to ship in volume by about 2024.

Source? I know a guy working at a solid-state battery startup and he gives me the impression that they aren't economical to manufacture at this point. His company is negotiating with several major auto mfg's so even if they had a viable product today, shipping it in 2024 seems like a stretch.

Solid-state batteries do not require significant thermal management systems, I think that was the goal with the Leaf anyway. From the research I've read about solid-state batteries, battery performance improves as temperature increases, so imagine in the future if the Leaf still existed, trying to cook your battery on purpose to get better performance. :D

My father's Volvo drag car's four cylinder engine loved to get hot, and it performed better when hot. So when he was up against V-8 cars, he'd do "burnouts" (short hops at full throttle to make the tires smoke) at the line, ostensibly to warm the tires up. They would of course follow suit, not wanting to be out-macho-ed by a little four cylinder. Then when the actual race occurred, the V-8 would, at least in hotter weather, be misfiring, and that would usually cost them the race. It would be fun to see that with little commuter EVs with solid state batteries, up against Big Bad Teslas and Mach-e drag cars.

Pack size and motor/inverter tech is still going to matter. No front wheel drive commuter EV is going to beat a dual or tri motor performance EV.

Both GCC:
Factorial Energy announces investments from and collaboration agreements with both Mercedes-Benz and Stellantis

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/11/20211130-factorial.html

Solid-state battery company Factorial Energy (earlier post) has entered into Joint Collaboration Agreements with both Mercedes-Benz and Stellantis, each of which is also making a strategic investment in the company.

Factorial’s technology offers a high level of operational safety and extends driving range by 20 to 50 percent, addressing two key factors to broad consumer adoption. Its drop-in compatibility with existing lithium-ion battery manufacturing infrastructure reduces costs and the complexity of changing to a different battery technology for auto manufacturers. . . .

Earlier this year, Factorial became the first to reach the 40 Amp-hour benchmark with a solid-state cell that works at room temperature, demonstrating the scalability of the FEST electrolyte.

Factorial’s collaboration agreements with leading global automotive manufacturers, including Hyundai Motor Company, Stellantis and Mercedes-Benz, is a significant validation of its technology and a springboard for commercialization in vehicles around the world.

Cummins invests in lithium-metal battery company Sion Power, multi-year development agreement

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/12/20211201-cummins.html

. . . Under the agreement, Sion Power will engage in a multi-year development program to design and supply large-format lithium metal battery cells for use in Cummins battery packs. The batteries developed by Cummins will be integrated in its electric powertrains for commercial vehicles.

In connection with the agreement, Cummins has made an investment in Sion Power. The investment provides Cummins a minority stake in Sion Power, allows Sion Power to develop their lithium metal technology further for the commercial vehicle market, and positions both companies for success in the future commercialization of the technology.

Our customers rely on Cummins to provide the most robust electric powertrains in the world. We need battery technologies that will meet the performance and cost expectations for tough, commercial vehicle duty cycles.

—Amy Davis, vice president at Cummins and president of the company’s New Power segment

In August, Sion introduced its 17 Ah Licerion Electric Vehicle (EV) cell, offering more than 400 Wh/kg and 810 Wh/L in a large-format pouch cell. Sion specifically designed Licerion-EV for next-generation electric vehicle applications, focusing on high energy density, increased cycle life, safety, and fast charging capability.

Also, Sion has designed the Licerion High Energy (HE) battery cell to meet the requirements of multiple aerospace applications including HALE/HAPS, rocket motors, un-crewed aerial vehicles, and others. This high-energy, lightweight pouch cell offers 490 Wh/kg and 900 Wh/L with an impressive 5C pulse discharge rate capability. . . .

ion Power says that it has successfully overcome the issues that dogged historical lithium metal chemistries—e.g., dendrification, resistive by-products—by developing a multi-faceted approach to protecting the lithium metal anode. This includes a liquid electrolyte that stabilizes the anode surface; a chemically stable and ionically conductive ceramic polymer barrier for the anode; and proprietary cell compression and an advanced battery management system.

knightmb said:
Solid-state batteries do not require significant thermal management systems, I think that was the goal with the Leaf anyway. From the research I've read about solid-state batteries, battery performance improves as temperature increases, so imagine in the future if the Leaf still existed, trying to cook your battery on purpose to get better performance. :D

Depends on usage. You are not going to do full speed laps around the Nürburgring without substantial thermal management. NYC to LA at normal speeds, will not.

Heating in cold conditions will still be needed.

GCC:
AKASOL introducing Gen 3 battery systems with increased energy density

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/12/20211202-akasol.html

. . . The new AKASystem 9 AKM 150 CYC has the highest energy density available on the market, according to AKASOL, and is thus especially suitable for fully electric long-distance applications such as coaches or trucks.

The new system has a nominal energy of 98 kWh, which can be scaled as required with several systems. The ultra-high energy battery system will be manufactured in the Gigafactory 1 in Darmstadt from 2023.

The high gravimetric energy density in the same space as the predecessor system leads to significant efficiency improvements and an increased range. At the same time, it is a particularly cost-efficient battery system that offers flexible scaling options depending on the area of application.

—Sven Schulz, CEO of AKASOL

With a continuous charge rate of 1 C, the 98 kWh AKASystem 9 AKM 150 CYC enables a maximization of the range by up to 50% compared to conventional systems on the market, with simultaneous HPC (High Power Charging) capability. Due to the rapid charging capability (opportunity charging) and with charging processes during longer standstill times, for example overnight (depot charging), the use of the system can be flexibly designed, and the service life of the battery cells is optimized.

Service life is up to 4,000 charging cycles—making the lithium-ion battery system extremely long-lasting.

Active liquid cooling with a water-glycol mixture and good thermal insulation of the battery system make it possible to operate the cells in the ideal temperature range and achieve an associated improvement in performance with less ageing. The system design includes multiple safety features, such as two separate CPU cores to increase fail-safety. The AKASystem 9 AKM 150 CYC also has IP67 and IP6K9K protection classes, high fire protection and is developed according to the industry standard ISO 26262.

By using battery cells in the 21700-standard format, AKASOL benefits from the further development of the cells which is independent of the battery system. This also benefits future products, so that the energy density will be continuously increased in the coming years without adapting the system architecture. In addition to the increase in efficiency and cost savings, the use of standard cells also enables a high availability of battery cells through various manufacturers with global production facilities.

Production of the new AKASystem 9 AKM 150 CYC ultra-high energy battery system will start next year in Gigafactory 1 in Darmstadt. This will be followed by a plant in Hazel Park, USA, in 2023, said Holger Dilchert, Head of Sales On-Highway at AKASOL. . . .

GCR:
Will solid-state batteries be the key to make electric SUVs and pickups viable?

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...-key-to-make-electric-suvs-and-pickups-viable

Earlier this month Nissan announced the establishment of a prototype production facility for all-solid-state battery cells—with plans to establish a pilot production line as soon as 2024 in Japan, and market availability in an EV in 2028.

The cells are potentially “a game changer for EV democratization,” according to Nissan, with the potential to double energy density by weight, while offering one-third the fast-charge time—in a cell for which the company is targeting a cost of just $75 per kwh. They’re a key part of the company’s Nissan Ambition 2030 plan, which calls for 15 all-electric vehicles for the Nissan and Infiniti brands by the end of the decade—and the aim of EVs making up 40% of its U.S. sales. . . .

In a Q&A session with the press at the time of the announcement, Kazuhiro Doi, Nissan’s corporate VP leading the Nissan Research Center, noted that solid-state cells may play an important role in both democratizing EVs and making larger electric trucks viable—a very different application in mind than Toyota’s plan to debut the tech in a hybrid by 2025.

The truck dilemma is a familiar issue we’ve discussed with other vehicles and automakers—with Land Rover considering fuel cells because of the “diminishing returns” of battery packs in big SUVs, and Hyundai suggesting that it might be smarter to use hydrogen fuel-cell tech than two layers of batteries. The larger and heavier the truck, the heavier the battery pack ends up being—and then the truck’s structure needs to be stouter to support the added weight of the battery while preserving the expected payload for such a model. For an example, look no further than the GMC Hummer EV, which weighs more than 9,000 pounds in order to pack enough batteries—roughly a third of its curb weight, at more than 200 kwh—to achieve more than 300 miles of range. . . .

At present, the cells are very small—20-mAh cells that are single-layer and just 2 cm across. This year Nissan will also conduct a feasibility study at laboratory scale and will enlarge the cells to a design in the 3-5 Ah range that’s multi-layer and a 10-cm width. Actual production-vehicle cells will be larger.

“I believe that we are one of the few OEMs who has an experience of in-house battery development and manufacturing, and know-how from those experiences and market history over the last 10 years,” said Doi. “To further democratize EVs, (the) key innovation is battery.”

If an ASSB isn’t conceived properly, it can potentially be worse from a safety and durability standpoint. Doi noted that in more than 11 years on the market, the Nissan Leaf has had “zero market incident” regarding fires or thermal runaway, emphasizing that safety is a top priority in the new cells, too.

Part of a U.S. collaboration with NASA

The Nissan cells benefit from a collaboration with NASA and UC San Diego, in which an interlayer was developed with help from AI techniques—and a database of 131,000 materials—to prevent the growth of lithium dendrites that could otherwise potentially pierce through, short-circuiting the cells. Doi described the strategy as “beyond expectation,” and in final validation now with the actual material.

The solid-state cells use a high-ion-conductive organic electrolyte chosen for its interface stability with the anode and its high-power potential, with a meshlike binding and precise mixing process between activa material and solid electrolyte leading to a reduction in cell resistence. The higher the output, the shorter the charging time, Doi explained—and considering the lower temperature raise when these cells as charged at a high rate, they can be fast-charged close to 100% in just over 15 minutes.

There may be some warming required for that, as that figure is at 60 degrees C. Charge times at the 25 degrees C more likely as an ambient temp permit fast-charging to 90% in 30 minutes. Cooling needs are reduced, too, however.

Potential for lower carbon footprint, too

Additionally, the solid-state cells are far more mass-efficient than lithium-ion cells, so they have the potential to have a lower CO2 impact based on the materials reduction. Doi noted that current liquid lithium-ion batteries have a dry process, and if it can apply a dry process to this, it could help reduce CO2. . . .

I know someone who works with solid state batteries and my take is that the tech still needs one last 'miracle' before it becomes commercially feasible. That could happen tomorrow or ten years from now or never. Like Yogi Berra said, it's hard to make predictions, especially about the future.

Any details on the One (brand name, unfortunate as it's hell to search for) Gemini™ dual chemistry battery claimed to be capable of over 600 miles range? They're supposedly collaborating with BMW to bring out a BMW iX EV with 600+ mi range by the end of this year. BMW's involvement would appear to lend credibility to their product.

Their schtick seems to be two battery chemistries in one battery, one for power, and one for energy. How does this allow for massive range? One would think that the existence of the "power" battery would take away room for more energy storage. I'm almost embarrassed to mention this, but maybe someone has some details that might support or slap it off consideration immediately.

https://one.ai/

https://insideevs.com/news/591985/our-next-energy-build-600-mile-bmw-ix-using-its-battery-tech/

It's also been used in a Tesla Model 3 to achieve a claimed 750 miles of range (I didn't notice any driving conditions mentioned).

I remember that back in the Nineties, they has a bus with a dual-power pack, and possibly a Civic as well. The aluminum/air main battery had lots of energy but a slow release rate ("C" rate doesn't apply, because the aluminum elements were replaced, not recharged), so they had a NiCad pack as well, for rapid(ish) acceleration. I assume that the reason here is similar: the high energy density battery can't provide enough power at once for high loads.

Back