dorkshoei
Delivery Date: 26 Oct 2016

Re: Replacing AC condenser on a 2016 Leaf S

GerryAZ wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:47 pm I don't think you will have enough oil left in the compressor after pulling vacuum for extended time to worry about. Just use the correct amount for filling an empty system. A little extra oil may slightly reduce the cooling capacity, but probably not noticeable on the LEAF. The main thing is to get the leak repaired and the system fully clean and dry. Are you planning to replace the accumulator? It might be a good idea since the system was open so long. Good luck with your repairs.
I was most concerned about debris being left inside the compressor. But it doesn't sound like one should actively flush the compressor so I guess you remove, drain, try to get as much oil out as possible and hope for the best.

After I have it all back together I'll want to pull a vacuum (I'll do it for a long time to boil off any condensation) and then verify it can hold vacuum before recharging.

As for the accumulator, I thought that was only on the model with the Heat Pump.

But to your larger point, the dryer on the Leaf is part of the condenser assembly so I've decided to replace the condenser even if the issue turns out to only be the high pressure pipe. a) I've already bought the replacement condenser b) I suspect after being open so long it needs a new dryer.

Thanks for the help.
GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

I apologize, I did not read the non-heat pump part of the service manual carefully. It looks like the dryer is in the liquid tank which is a separate piece, but mounted to the condenser. Since the first part of the manual shows an accumulator, I assumed both systems would use one. In any case, the dryer (liquid tank in your case) should be replaced since the system was open for extended time. Good luck with the repairs, I will be following this thread.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015; traded 8/10/2019 at 82,436 miles
White LEAF 2019 SL Plus purchased 8/10/2019
dorkshoei

GerryAZ wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:13 pm It looks like the dryer is in the liquid tank which is a separate piece, but mounted to the condenser.
It's all one piece. A/C Condenser and Receiver Drier Assembly

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Interesting--there are two different exploded views in the service manual for 2016 S. The view I looked at before shows the tank as a separate item, but another view shows the condenser with liquid tank as one part. The view with the tank separate shows O-rings (and tightening torque) for the connections at the bottom of the tank.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015; traded 8/10/2019 at 82,436 miles
White LEAF 2019 SL Plus purchased 8/10/2019
dorkshoei

GerryAZ wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:16 pm Interesting--there are two different exploded views in the service manual for 2016 S. The view I looked at before shows the tank as a separate item, but another view shows the condenser with liquid tank as one part. The view with the tank separate shows O-rings (and tightening torque) for the connections at the bottom of the tank.
There was a change over in April 2016. Mine is the pre April.

I also bought an aftermarket model not OEM. It is pre April fitment.

The OEM fiche shows 4 diff condensers, pre/post April 2016 S and pre/post Jan 2016 SL/SV.
dorkshoei

Plan is to try and tackle this next weekend May 7th/8th. Have plans this weekend.

I have the replacement high pressure pipe, replacement condenser, ND11 oil, R134a, R134a can adapter, 1 gallon flush solution, flushing system, compressor, manifold gauge set and vacuum pump.

The only minor concern I have is o-rings. Service manual says to replace whenever you remove/reinstall any hose and I believe you need to use HNBR for a/c.

I'm not paying $2+ per o-ring that Nissan charges.

I picked up this pack of HNBR o-rings. They're an in-stock item so I can get more if I run out but my concern is that it won't contain a size I need.

If anyone knows of a chart that specifies Nissan o-ring part# -> size I'd appreciate a pointer so I can be sure I have all the sizes I need before starting.

Return to “Engineering”