Formula E Racing this Sat on CBS

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjeff

I'm not really a car racing watching guy but a listing on my Tivo got my interest. Looks like this Saturday(4-30) at Noon Central, CBS will be airing Formula E Racing, Monaco ePrix.
Sounds interesting and I think I might give it a watch. What's not to like, EVs racing through the beautiful streets of Monaco, I want to watch it just to hear what it sounds like. The roar of high HP ICEs replaced by the whine of maybe even higher HP EVs :lol:

Expect much debate in the organization about using "enhanced" sound through speakers on the cars. While I'd LOVE to hear "Jetsons car V Jupiter 2 V Tie Fighter" at 75 db, I suspect that it will run more to ICE noises...

Interesting. I'm gonna look for it on my channel guide and TiVo it if I find it. It would be cool to see a motor race with EVs! Thanks for the heads-up!

p.s. found it! on at 11am Pacific time tomorrow morning for me, set to record.

LeftieBiker said:
Expect much debate in the organization about using "enhanced" sound through speakers on the cars. While I'd LOVE to hear "Jetsons car V Jupiter 2 V Tie Fighter" at 75 db, I suspect that it will run more to ICE noises...
Glad they didn't use fake ICE noises, so are you saying the whine from the cars wasn't actually all from the motor but speaker enhanced? that would be disappointing but not as bad as if they used fake ICE sounds. To me the whining was a bit annoying but I thought it was just coming from the motor, sad if it was actually added or enhanced.
Overall it was interesting, had no idea they had such a thing but I guess I've been living under a rock(or maybe it hasn't been broadcast on OTA TV, the only TV I have....) regardless it sounds like this was season 8 of EVprix racing and I believe the 80th? race overall, again I had no idea.
They didn't say many specs but I did catch they were limited to 300hp but the next-gen(next year?) would be double that.
Didn't catch the total kWh of the batteries or exactly where they sat but I'd expect as close to the ground as possible and protected as much as possible.
Jaguar seemed to be prominent as well as the winner, the Mercedes EQ team. Interesting how they could gain extra power by slightly driving off the track in a specific area and also the fans could vote on which drivers they wanted to get "extra" battery capacity, which came in handy as most drivers approached the finish line with 1 to 0% as the winner did. Only one driver didn't quite make it, I believe he was around 8th but ended up in last as again he ran out of juice(software limited) as was the extra power bosts, software driven.

so are you saying the whine from the cars wasn't actually all from the motor but speaker enhanced?

No. I mean that we should expect a debate about it at some point soon. Manufacturers are already doing it with EVs sold to the public, like the Mustang-e.

I've been watching the F1 races since 1987, and started watching Formula E a few years ago, before they had the battery capacity to go the whole race. There they just pulled into the pits and jumped in a second car to finish the race. There are a lot of ex-F1 drivers in FE, and they go to some of the same tracks. So it's something of a natural extension of F1.

In case anyone doesn't know this, F1 has been using hydrid powertrains since 2014, and are the most efficient internal-combustion engines known (other than one-off prototypes I suppose). They convert as much as 52% of the energy in the fuel to mechanical energy output. A typical non-hybrid arrangement is more like 30%. I believe something like a Prius hybrid powertrain comes in at around 40%.

Electrification is also coming to powerboat racing:

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/futuristic-racing-boat-gets-ready-for-world-s-first-electric-powerboat-series-162812.html

I read recently that F1 will be increasing the percentage of power coming from the electric components in 2025, making them (probably) even more efficient.

Back