Colorado Electric Vehicle Fast-Charging Corridors

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like it might be missing a transformer, judging by the pipe caps on the concrete pad on the right. although there is some metal 'thing' in 'Transformer green' behind the distribution cabinet. Where'd you find that pic, or did you take it? Plugshare isn't showing anything in Craig now, while they do show the "Coming soon" site in Granby at another Kum & Go.

GRA said:
Looks like it might be missing a transformer, judging by the pipe caps on the concrete pad on the right. although there is some metal 'thing' in 'Transformer green' behind the distribution cabinet. Where'd you find that pic, or did you take it? Plugshare isn't showing anything in Craig now, while they do show the "Coming soon" site in Granby at another Kum & Go.
That was my picture, taken on Monday. I was charging my car at the adjacent Superchargers:

The Chargepoint stalls are located just to the left of this picture at a 90º angle to the row of eight Superchargers (both at a far corner of the Kum & Go parking lot). This is one of several combo Chargepoint/Supercharger installations that is popping up in Colorado — Montrose is another. I haven't bothered to add the Chargepoint DCFC Craig site to Plugshare since it isn't done yet.

I was on my way home from the seventh annual "Sound of Silence" Tesla rally in Custer South Dakota — there were 96 cars at the rally this year:

SageBrush said:
I see why silver was discontinued
Every time I see a silver Model 3 in the Ridgway area I wonder if it is you passing through, since silver is such a rare color.

While I've been disappointed with Tesla's meager (and boring) color palette, I figure that people can get their cars wrapped in any color they want. Some have done that — there was a car at the rally from Utah that had a silver wrap with a rainbow sheen, subtle but attractive. I do appreciate that Tesla bowed to pressure and made the base, no extra cost, color pearl white rather than black. I miss the Ocean Blue of my LEAF.

dgpcolorado said:
SageBrush said:
I see why silver was discontinued
Every time I see a silver Model 3 in the Ridgway area I wonder if it is you passing through, since silver is such a rare color.

While I've been disappointed with Tesla's meager (and boring) color palette, I figure that people can get their cars wrapped in any color they want. Some have done that — there was a car at the rally from Utah that had a silver wrap with a rainbow sheen, subtle but attractive. I do appreciate that Tesla bowed to pressure and made the base, no extra cost, color pearl white rather than black. I miss the Ocean Blue of my LEAF.

You will know it is me when the driver is wildly waving. :D

Black Teslas really are common, although I don't know how much of it is preference Vs choosing the (for then) cheapest color. I'm also happy about the Tesla decision to make pearl white the default color.

The price of the Chargepoint DCFC at Montrose, CO has been lowered, from the common but crazy high 25¢/kWh plus 20¢/minute "parking charge," to a reasonable 30¢/kWh with no parking charge, plus an idle fee of $24/hour (40¢/minute) after a grace period of ten minutes. This is roughly the same as the pricing of the adjacent Tesla Superchargers.

I'd like to see this pricing model spread to the many other stations that use that crazy parking fee.

Granby has been open since at least July 3rd per Plugshare check-ins. Colorado updated their "Electric Vehicle Fast-Charging Corridors" web page this month as follows:

***Electric Vehicle Fast-Charging Corridors: July 2021 Update***

The Colorado Energy Office (CEO) fast-charging electric vehicle corridors project comprises high-speed charging stations at 34 locations across the state developed in partnership with ChargePoint and site hosts such as local governments, utilities and private companies.

Sites Open Now

Dinosaur Welcome Center: 101 Stegosaurus Fwy, Dinosaur, CO 81610
Craig Kum & Go: 700 E. Victory Way, Craig, CO 81625
Steamboat Springs Kum & Go: 80 Anglers Drive, Steamboat Springs, CO 80477
Granby Kum & Go: 308 W. Agate Avenue, Granby, CO 80446
Estes Park Visitor Center: 500 Big Thompson Ave, Estes Park, CO 80517
Pagosa Springs Centennial Park: San Juan River Walk, Pagosa Springs, CO 81147
Montrose City Parking Lot: 533 N. 1st Street, Montrose, CO 81401
Rifle Kum & Go: 705 Taugenbaugh Blvd, Rifle, CO 81650
Vail Lionshead Parking: 395 S Frontage Rd W, Vail, CO 81657
Fairplay Town Hall: 901 9th St, Fairplay, CO 80440
Salida Two Rivers Development: 1 Old Stage Rd., Salida, CO, 81201

Sites Opening this Summer

Purgatory Ski Resort: 1 Skier Pl, Durango, CO 81301
Durango City Parking: 250 W 8th St, Durango, CO 81301
Alamosa Visitor Center: 610 State Ave, Alamosa, CO 81101
Wellington Kum & Go: 8150 6th St, Wellington, CO 80549
La Junta Village Inn: 5 Walmart Way, La Junta, CO 81050
Wheat Ridge Target: 5071 Kipling Street, Wheat Ridge, CO 80033

https://energyoffice.colorado.gov/zero-emission-vehicles/electric-vehicle-fast-charging-corridors

The sites in Durango, Alamosa and La Junta will cause the biggest expansion of coverage. Durango will allow access to points in SE Utah as well as Gallup, while Alamosa will enable people to travel to/from Taos, Walsenburg/Trinidad or Pueblo. La Junta will enable people to reach La Mar and the surrounding area via U.S. 50, although I suspect there are few if any BEVs in that area now, and likely won't be for some years.

GRA said:
Granby has been open since at least July 3rd per Plugshare check-ins. Colorado updated their "Electric Vehicle Fast-Charging Corridors" web page this month as follows:

***Electric Vehicle Fast-Charging Corridors: July 2021 Update***

The Colorado Energy Office (CEO) fast-charging electric vehicle corridors project comprises high-speed charging stations at 34 locations across the state developed in partnership with ChargePoint and site hosts such as local governments, utilities and private companies.

Sites Open Now

Sites Opening this Summer

Purgatory Ski Resort: 1 Skier Pl, Durango, CO 81301

https://energyoffice.colorado.gov/zero-emission-vehicles/electric-vehicle-fast-charging-corridors

The sites in Durango, Alamosa and La Junta will cause the biggest expansion of coverage. Durango will allow access to points in SE Utah as well as Gallup, while Alamosa will enable people to travel to/from Taos, Walsenburg/Trinidad or Pueblo. La Junta will enable people to reach La Mar and the surrounding area via U.S. 50, although I suspect there are few if any BEVs in that area now, and likely won't be for some years.
Alamosa will allow easy access to Great Sand Dunes National Park. Durango will allow access to Mesa Verde National Park.

Already well covered are Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, with the nearby Montrose DCFC, and Rocky Mountain National Park, with nearby DCFC at Granby and Estes Park. Craig and Dinosaur help with access to Dinosaur National Monument.

It appears that the Ouray Chargepoint DCFC station will have four stalls:

The location is in a distant section of the Hot Springs Pool parking lot, where ICEing should be relatively uncommon, although the parking lot is often full in summer.

SageBrush said:
I'm surprised that Ouray was a chosen location since Durango and Montrose have DCFC
I believe that they were looking at either Silverton or Ouray. I suppose the idea is to make DCFC so ubiquitous that you can charge up almost anywhere. If Montrose is full or down, just move on to Ouray and charge there instead. (The advantage of Chargepoint is that you can just pull up the phone app and see how many stalls are open or in use in real time; to me that's a big deal — those of us with Teslas just take that for granted with Superchargers.)

Montrose is something of a waypoint, being at the intersection of US 50 and US 550, whereas Ouray and Durango are major tourist destinations, so that might have something to do with it.

Also, there are a lot of CCS/Chademo cars with about 200 miles EPA range or less, and they are helped by stations closer together than is needed for Teslas (Tesla won't even make cars with less than 250 miles EPA nowadays, the missing SR Y, for example).

Missed several openings:

Purgatory Ski Resort: $0.30/kWh.

Alamosa also opened last month, but pricing is high:

Payment Required
Energy
All Days $0.45/kWh
Station Parking
First 20 mins Free
Thereafter $0.25/min
Min / Max Fees
Flat Fee $2.50 per session

La Junta:

Payment Required
Energy
All Days $0.45/kWh
Station Parking
First 20 mins Free
Thereafter $0.25/min
Min / Max Fees
Flat Fee $2.50 per session

Wheat Ridge:

Payment Required
Energy
$0.45/kWh

Station Parking
First 30 mins - Free
Thereafter - $0.25/min

Wellington: $0.25/kWh

All the sites that were listed to open this summer have now done so; see https://energyoffice.colorado.gov/zero-emission-vehicles/electric-vehicle-fast-charging-corridors

Dec. 2021 update:

Sites Open Now

Salida Two Rivers Development: 1 Old Stage Rd., Salida, CO, 81201 Purgatory Ski Resort: 1 Skier Pl, Durango, CO 81301
Sites Opening this Winter

Boulder: 1500 Pearl St., Boulder, CO
Brighton: 15200 E 120TH Ave., Commerce City, CO
Conifer: 27181 Main Street, Conifer, CO
Georgetown: 1120 Argentine St., Georgetown, CO
Pueblo: 3522 N Elizabeth St, Pueblo, CO

https://energyoffice.colorado.gov/zero-emission-vehicles/ev-fast-charging-corridors

Related, for Montana: https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=33008

Sites Opening this Winter

Boulder: 1500 Pearl St., Boulder, CO
Brighton: 15200 E 120TH Ave., Commerce City, CO
Conifer: 27181 Main Street, Conifer, CO
Georgetown: 1120 Argentine St., Georgetown, CO
Pueblo: 3522 N Elizabeth St, Pueblo, CO

The sites in Conifer, Boulder and "Brighton" (actually Commerce City) are open. Georgetown looks pretty complete judging by the photo. No pics of Pueblo, but there's other stations including an EA one nearby. Boulder completes the 6 station U.S. 40-34 corridor stretching from Dinosaur through Steamboat Springs and Rocky Mtn. N.P. IMO the most important ones of the 12 remaining out of the 34 planned as far as opening up or infilling recreational routes are Cortez on U.S. 160/491, and Gunnison and Canon City on U.S. 50, with Limon and Burlington on I-70 being most important as infill on long-distance travel.

April 2022 Update

Sites Open Now