Strut cover for 2022 Leaf SV Plus...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AlexDarcy said:
A small amount of water that takes 14 days to evaporate can be worse than lots of water that evaporates in 2 days.

So true. This made me wonder if the cover design could be improved (ie with 3D printing etc) to have a larger hole and a helical air flow generator of some sort which moves more air in the strut area as the car moves forward to blow away & dry any remaining water after the rain/carwash etc.

AlexDarcy said:
lorenfb said:
Yes, there's a small pin hole (air port) in the top of the cover. If the vehicle is fully submersed, yes water will eventually enter the shock tower.

The 1mm hole at the top is probably not the problem, it's the seal around the edge. And if water from the windshield does for some reason get routed to dump directly on top of the cover, like from driving winds or poor drainage design, then a 1mm hole is big enough to be a problem. A small amount of water that takes 14 days to evaporate can be worse than lots of water that evaporates in 2 days. It's only the water molecules that touch the metal that cause rust, not the rest of the water floating on top of that layer.

But if someone already has the covers installed, it's an easy test: after driving home from work in the rain, or after going through a car wash, open a cover and stick in some tissue paper to see how much water is picked up. Or if someone has had the covers installed for a few years now, what does it look like underneath? No need to speculate.

Then apply RTV around the edge before installing, if that paranoid!

Ran a water test on the driver's side shock tower using a water hose turned-on high against the firewall.
The result was that the drain behind the shock tower kept water from approaching the shock tower.
So no water can even ingress into the small vent hole in the plastic cover top unless the inlet water flow
approaches that of a 2" or greater water pipe.

lorenfb said:
The result was that the drain behind the shock tower kept water from approaching the shock tower.
So no water can even ingress into the small vent hole in the plastic cover top unless the inlet water flow
approaches that of a 2" or greater water pipe.

Thank you!

alozzy said:
FWIW...

https://amzn.to/3szk69g

Just FYI their date of delivery is exaggerated. After 3 and 4 weeks out I contacted them 3 times. They said wait, it's been shipped from China. 2+ weeks later it's still not been received to USPS, which means another week or 2. I contacted Amazon (not the seller) and got an immediate refund. I'm willing to pay more than to wait 6-7 weeks.

Edit: This arrived today. Later than it should have. But however they are shipping, the tracking number never worked just saying it was in the system.

fester said:
Ordered a pair from the local Nissan dealer. Should be in Friday, I'll report back on the fit on my 22' SV +...
How'd that go?
Several here have said the part number 54330ED000 cover (which is supposed to only fit early Leafs, not 2018-2023 ones) does fit the latest Leafs, even the Amazon clones sold.

I'm thinking about wiping out the bolt area on my '22 SV+, and then just pouring in oil-based paint or PlastiDip in there, after first applying a light grease coating on the bolt & nut metal parts.

If that works the way I think, we will get a top crust form, and it will fill the void to keep water away.

I did get those in and they did fit, however despite using some silicon grease around the edge, water was still getting in. Went back to what I had before with some heavy gauge plastic film large enough to cover the raised area and secured it with some small but strong magnets I keep around. Looks a bit odd but keeps the water out and I can see thru the plastic to check for any water.

Well, I did it. Sounds nutty, but it seems like it might work.
Got polyurethane oil paint (says quick-dry on it, cool).
Made a fancy funnel out of office paper (8.5" x 11" standard stuff), secured by high-tech Scotch Tape, to avoid a mess.
Had to get a paper cup to get a small pourable amount out of the small paint can.
If you're careful, and don't over-fill, you won't make a mess. Go slow if you try this.

Pretty cheap at least.

Note, it doesn't take much to fill that cavity. I'm letting it dry overnight & it "should" form a dry top crust to keep the gooey oil paint sealed in deeper down. Maybe eventually it will dry all the way through. As long as the top crust is firm, it can stay liquidy next to the metal nut.

Once it dries for a few days, I'm thinking about topping it off with the fun PlastiDip and letting it droop over the sides of the mushroom-shaped top to get water to shed.

Since it is oil-based paint, I decided to skip coating the metal nut & bolt with grease first.

fester said:
I did get those in and they did fit, however despite using some silicon grease around the edge, water was still getting in. Went back to what I had before with some heavy gauge plastic film large enough to cover the raised area and secured it with some small but strong magnets I keep around. Looks a bit odd but keeps the water out and I can see thru the plastic to check for any water.

Hopefully, you've not been crossing deep rivers, right?

fester said:
Now you tell me...:).

I did get those in and they did fit, however despite using some silicon grease around the edge, water was still getting in.

Then apply RTV silicone around the inside edge of the cover before installing. If you've been also concerned about
the angstrom size pin hole in the strut cover, then use a piece of duct tape over the hole.

The oil paint & PlastiDip idea is working out well. Looks like a mushroom now.
Placement of the goo is a little tricky, not too bad though, going slow to avoid a mess using the paper funnel.

Back