The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I got mine, forgot to post here, 2017 Leaf SV, quite happy with it, cloth interior (yes I wanted cloth) and all, and surprisingly heated mirrors, though I wish I had a way to tell if they were on or off and a switch to turn off that function or turn on if needed), Gun Metal was the colour.

Took it home on the 9th of march of 2022

Check the owner's manual. They are probably on-line if you don't have a paper copy. I don't have an SV but my guess would be that the mirror heaters come on with the rear defroster.

I got a leaf. Short story... test drive in Oct 2020, ordered the following week and paid a deposit. Took delivery a couple of days ago. The EV life in Australia! COVID can be blamed for some of it, but some hassle during one dealer taking over another also was a factor. I never gave up and an a happy leaf driver now.

A little late but better than never!

I received my slightly used 2019 Leaf SL+ with 6300 miles on Wednesday, March 9th so I have been a proud leave owner for a bit over 2 weeks. I love it! My husband does too and the dog can get in and out (something that is hard for her in our Tiguan). We're on track to save $100 in gas this month compared to last month. Woo-hoo!

Just over a month ago we traded in our 5 year old 2017 Leaf S for a new 2022 Leaf S plus. Our old leaf had just lost one bar and about 18% of its capacity according to Leaf Spy. The 2017 had just over 31K miles. In addition, I really did try to baby the battery. Needing a little bit more range and wanting to take advantage or the $7500 tax credit. We figured that even if our new Leaf loses 40% of its capacity it will still have plenty of range for our needs. Right now it is hard to get used to how far we can drive before having to charge.

As far as battery degradation goes, it appears to me that time is the most significant factor. It seems to be that the Leaf battery uses a chemistry that is just not as good as some of the other electric cars out there. Still, I really do like the Leaf.

It does appear that the Nissan Leaf battery has been slowly improving over the years.

I haven't seen any big new technology announcements but I would guess that continuous design, material and manufacturing improvements have been on-going continuously behind the scenes. I know in my business that is how things often work and yields and quality often improve as the products age after the 'bleeding edge' units are first shipped.

I thought I saw a thread on used leaf prices but would like to know, why are dealerships selling leafs for 8k - 12k with range less than 30-40 miles and about 5-7 bars left on the charge?? I bought my 2011 for 2k and i could clearly see the range was only 37 miles
and 6 bars(EV rides is doing a 24 kwh upgrade now) I'm talking years between 2011 -2013 , why such a high price? could they be selling
other features such as heated steering and seats?? I guess that's more valuable than range and battery health?

The used Leaf market often does not properly price vehicles based upon battery condition and chemistry. Trying to value Leafs based upon GOM values is worthless though.

I made a comment at https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=597809 and https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=552310#p552310 about a Hon-duh dealer trying to sell a 4 capacity bar Leaf for $5,791 (way before the crazy used car shortage).

https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19967&p=454921&hilit=%244500#p454921 in a remote part of CA kinda tried to sell his 8 bar '11 Leaf in 2016 for $4500 and got no takers. He donated it: https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=475234#p475234.

SageBrush said:
babbles said:
why such a high price?
Global supply shortages affecting just about everything, but new cars in particular. Used car prices are affected by new car market.
I see tons of Carvana ads for Leafs in my local CL listings, they've basically taken over the market. I do wonder how many sell though.....I should really get on the ball and get my '12 and '13 listed or give Carvana a try, although with so many for sale it seems like the market could be flooded at this point.....wouldn't hurt to try I suppose now that it's warmer and the ranges aren't as low.

Yeah...

I don't get the impression that the used car market shortages are going to resolve anytime soon, but I've been wrong about market timing more times than I can count.

An old LEAF is not the SUV/truck that most people want, but people are having to compromise nowadays.

And the used car market is pretty crazy. I am waiting for a 2022 Tesla Model Y I ordered in October and will pay $57k for it when delivered. Tesla is selling *used* 2020/21 similar models with up to 25k miles for $75k.

jjeff said:
SageBrush said:
babbles said:
why such a high price?
Global supply shortages affecting just about everything, but new cars in particular. Used car prices are affected by new car market.
I see tons of Carvana ads for Leafs in my local CL listings, they've basically taken over the market. I do wonder how many sell though.....I should really get on the ball and get my '12 and '13 listed or give Carvana a try, although with so many for sale it seems like the market could be flooded at this point.....wouldn't hurt to try I suppose now that it's warmer and the ranges aren't as low.

I just bought a 2015 Leaf on Carvana. Yes, there are a lot listed, but they are purchased quickly. The turnover is incredible; cars appear and disappear within days, sometimes hours. If you look on Carvana, you'll see that many Leafs are listed as "On Hold" or "Purchase in Progress". This gives the illusion that there are a lot of Leafs on Carvana, but many aren't available for purchase right now.

I got myself a 2022 Leaf SV Plus last week, person who ordered it decided against purchasing the car. I’m very happy so with the vehicle except for the static issue when using CarPlay. I have a dealer within a couple of miles from my house which I have been using to charge the car, while I get my home charging situation sorted out. Before buying the Leaf I drove the new Chevy Bolt EUV, it’s a nice vehicle except the interior really reminded my of the Chevy Trax, which my mom drives and she paid $16K for back in 2020, vehicle was brand new. Plus not getting the $7500 tax break made the decision even easier.

Congrats! You'll love it. Personally I don't care for the exterior or interior of the Bolt. But with it's battery issue it wasn't an option anyway. And I believe the $7500 has run out.

Quint8 said:
Before buying the Leaf I drove the new Chevy Bolt EUV, it’s a nice vehicle except the interior really reminded my of the Chevy Trax, which my mom drives and she paid $16K for back in 2020, vehicle was brand new. Plus not getting the $7500 tax break made the decision even easier.
Was it an LT or Premier trim? My cousin is looking for a plug in and doesn't qualify for the whole $7500 tax credit so the Bolt would be a good choice for that situation.

It was an LT, the rear legroom was very nice but it definitely has less cargo room than the leaf does. The lack of adaptive cruise is also something to think about, if I remember correctly you need to get the premiere for that option. The Leaf also drives nicer than the bolt, it’s quieter and feels more solid. Another plus was the financing that Nissan is running 0.9 % financing all the way up to 72 months. I think GM was at 2.9 %. Like I said the $7500 for me was a big bonus. The only true negative on the Leaf is the Chademo charger, I life in the Chicagoland area and our charging infrastructure is getting better everyday. The Leaf is my second car, I’m lucky enough to have a squad to use from my job.

Back