Hydrogen and FCEVs discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GCC:
European electrolyzer manufacturers commit to boosting capacity tenfold by 2025

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2022/05/20220510-electrolyzers.html

European Commissioner for Internal Market Thierry Breton and European electrolyzer manufacturers last week met in Brussels to discuss how to increase industry’s capacity to produce electrolyzers used to produce clean hydrogen. The Commissioner and 20 industry CEOs signed a Joint Declaration whereby industry committed to a tenfold increase of its electrolyzer manufacturing capacities to reach 17.5 GW by 2025 and to increase capacity further by 2030 in line with projected demand for renewable hydrogen.

This will enable the annual EU production of 10 million tons of renewable hydrogen by 2030, set as target in the March 2022 REPowerEU Communication. It will improve Europe’s sustainable and secure energy supply and reduce EU’s reliance on Russian gas. . . .

The Joint Declaration also features Commission actions to put in place a supportive regulatory framework, facilitate access to finance and promote efficient supply chains. Among them:

Ensuring that regulation governing the production of renewable hydrogen support a fast and affordable ramp-up of the market for renewable hydrogen and its production in Europe;

Adoption of a recommendation and a legislative proposal on accelerated permitting for renewable energy projects, including renewable hydrogen; Assessment of State aid notification for hydrogen projects as a matter of priority;

Commitment by electrolyzer manufacturers to apply only with high quality project proposals that are fully aligned with the climate targets and REPowerEU ambition;

Collaboration with the EIB to facilitate the financing of electrolyzer manufacturing and deployment projects;

Establishment of an ‘Electrolyzer Partnership' that will bring together electrolyzer manufacturers and suppliers of components and materials within the existing structures of the European Clean Hydrogen Alliance;

Joint commitment to integrate the value chain, diversify and tackle dependency of key raw materials and chemicals within the framework of the EU industrial strategy.

Background. In cooperation with Hydrogen Europe, the Commission organized this event under the auspices of the European Clean Hydrogen Alliance, which brings together 1,600 interested parties from industry, public authorities, civil society, and research institutions.

GRA said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
[Snip]

Hey Mr. Copper Shots, turn on your brain a little and understand the articles you've linked to. Both are simply distractions and wastes of time and resources as they are inherently self-contradictory and run counter to the desired outcome of reducing the use of fossil fuels, namely the reduction of global warming.

Case in point (first article):
"Today the vast majority of hydrogen needed across industries is manufactured using fossil fuel technologies (primarily natural gas), but nuclear energy has the potential to deliver both the electricity and the heat needed for hydrogen production in a sustainable, low carbon and cost-effective manner"

nuclear might be zero CO2 emissions, but it leaves behind radioactive waste that has to be securely stored for centuries. That's why people all over the world have been pushing to decommission existing nuclear power plants. That makes Francesco Ganda's analysis myopic, since nuclear power is neither sustainable, nor cost-effective.

And the second article is about using methanol in a combustion engine. How is that anywhere near a step towards the goal?

For a site called "Green Car Congress", they sure do highlight a large amount of pointless efforts. You should read from cleantechnica, or insideevs, or even electrek for more useful content.

Nukes are going to be around a long time, even assuming that we'll eventually be able to do without them, which is by no means clear. Many countries simply don't have the RE, so will be dependent on others if they're willing to be so dependent.

I belong to the breed of environmentalists known as eco-pragmatists. While I'd certainly prefer a world without fission nukes, given the choice between nukes or coal and natural gas for baseline electricity, I'll take nukes hand-down. Germany's panic decision after Chernobyl to decommission their nukes and keep their coal plants not only increased the amount of coal used to generate electricity, it also made them more dependent on Russian natural gas.

Long-term storage of radioactive waste is an issue, but not an insurmountable one, especially if we move to fast-burn reactors. They produce a much smaller quantity of high-level waste, which is far more radioactive than the current tech leaves, but also decays much faster, so that it's safe after maybe 500 years instead of tens of thousands. Let's talk worst case: the UN, having done a long-term epidemiological study, calculated that Chernobyl would ultimately cause an extra 4,000 deaths. You can find much higher claims, albeit with much less scientific rigor, such as this one: https://www.bbc.com/future/article/...rnationally,result of the radiation exposure.

For the sake of argument, let's say that Chernobyl, an unsafe reactor design operated incredibly stupidly with safeguards disabled, will over time ultimately result in 1,000,000 extra deaths worldwide, far above the levels even in the above article. Sounds horrific, right? Ban nukes!

But keep coal and NG instead?
Coal is responsible for over 800,000 premature deaths _per year_ [emphasis added] globally and many millions more serious and minor illnesses. In China alone, around 670,000 people die prematurely per year as a result of coal-related air pollution.
Natural gas also has both GHG and local air pollution effects. How about annual air pollution deaths from all fossil fuels? Various studies are cited here; some include both anthopogenous and natural sources, others only Anthropogenous ones: https://ourworldindata.org/data-rev... that the death,fifth of all deaths globally.

Here's one:
WHO: 4.2 million premature deaths per year due to outdoor air pollution from anthropogenic and natural sources
The WHO estimates that 4.2 million die prematurely every year as the result of exposure to outdoor (or ambient) air pollution. As of November 2021 this is the latest WHO estimates of air pollution’s death toll and it refers to the year 2016.

The 4.2 million deaths from outdoor air pollution are premature deaths “due to exposure to fine particulate matter of 2.5 microns or less in diameter (PM2.5)”. The WHO does not include the deaths caused by other air pollutants (such as ozone) and it should therefore be considered to be a somewhat conservative figure.6

The outdoor air pollution considered by the WHO stems from both natural (such as dust from deserts) and anthropogenic sources.7

How about just anthropogenous air pollution?
The study by Vohra et al. (2021) suggests that the death toll from outdoor air pollution caused by fossil fuels is much higher than other studies suggest. They estimate that 8.7 million deaths globally in 2018 were due to the air pollution caused by burning fossil fuels.10 8.7 million premature deaths are almost one-fifth of all deaths globally. The uncertainty intervals in this study are extremely high.

The authors only focus on particulate matter exposure; other pollutants (including ozone) are not considered.

Much of the paper focuses on estimates for the year 2012 for which the authors estimate a global death toll of 10.2 million premature deaths. The authors explain that the death toll has declined between 2012 and 2018; they attribute this to a decline in pollution in China.

The authors arrive at their very high estimate because they rely on a concentration-response function (CRF) that is different from the CRF in previous studies. This new CRF is taken from a recently published meta-analysis of long-term PM2.5 mortality association by Vodonos et al (2018).11

That's the highest estimate I've seen, so for the sake of argument let's assume 1 million deaths/year from air pollution by burning fossil fuels. So you tell me, given the above ANNUAL death toll vs. my Chernobyl estimate/WAG of 1 million total deaths ultimately over time, which poses the greater risk, continued use of nukes to make electricity until (if) we can ultimately do without them, or using fossil fuels instead?

Some other Eco-pragmatists views of electricity from nuclear fission, quoted in David Mackay's "Sustainable Energy - Without the Hot Air:

We made the mistake of lumping nuclear energy in with nuclear weapons, as if all things nuclear were evil. I think that’s as big a mistake as if you lumped nuclear medicine in with nuclear weapons.

Patrick Moore,
former Director of Greenpeace International
https://www.withouthotair.com/c24/page_161.shtml

Mackay also quoted James Lovelock in "The Revenge of Gaia" in favor of nukes in the book, at least for the mid-term, but I keep getting SQL errors so can't quote it. You'll find the quote here: https://www.withouthotair.com/c1/page_2.shtml

Or you can read his original 2004 op/ed here: http://www.jameslovelock.org/nuclear-power-is-the-only-green-solution/

Given the large increase in both PV and wind in the past decade, whether Lovelock has altered his views on nukes since he first expressed them in 2004 I couldn't say. As fossil fuel use has also increased over that period, I doubt it, and judging by this 2019 interview he's still in favor of nukes: https://nymag.com/intelligencer/201...nuclear-power-and-if-ai-can-stop-warming.html

Mackay quotes people on both sides of that and other environmental debates. I strongly recommend that anyone interested in RE read this book, and you can do so for free online or as a download: https://www.withouthotair.com/

Oh, one more, not from Mackay:
Stewart Brand’s Strange Trip: Whole Earth to Nuclear Power

When the founder of the Whole Earth Catalog embraces nuclear power, genetically engineered crops, and geoengineering schemes to cool the planet, you know things have changed in the environmental movement. In an interview with Yale Environment 360, Stewart Brand explains how the passage of four decades — and the advent of global warming — have shifted his thinking about what it means to be green.
https://e360.yale.edu/features/stewart_brands_strange_trip_whole_earth_to_nuclear_power

That's a false dichotomy. It's not nuclear in-place of coal. It's get rid of both. Coal now and nuclear soon after. Needing to dedicate space to store nuclear waste for 500 hundred years isn't a "short-term" issue that justifies proliferating nuclear power. Spending time and money on developing a means of producing hydrogen from a tech that will get sunsetted is diverting resources from other tech that doesn't carry the same long-tail of ecological damage. Who the heck is Lovelock that makes his opinion worth anything? In the 15 years between 2004 and 2019, wind and solar power has grown exponentially, and will continue to do so to the point that the IEA has earned a black-eye for how poorly they've forecasted the rise of renewable energy's contribution to the US energy infrastructure over the past decade (along with the decline of coal during that time).

Solar is available to just about any country, and battery storage makes it durable and reliable for most of the year. Wind, hydro, geothermal, and even green hydrogen fuel cells (made with excess renewable energy during the summer months) can supplement during the seasonal lows. There's no technical reason for relying on coal nor nuclear.

Thanks for the above. As I skimmed down I was gritting my teeth preparing to have to respond. You did it for me. I will add that I'll take extra human deaths - even extra nonhuman deaths - from air pollution over the Russian Roulette style chance of ruining whole regions for millennia. Best, though, is to not burn coal OR roll the dice with nuclear power.

LeftieBiker said:
Thanks for the above. As I skimmed down I was gritting my teeth preparing to have to respond. You did it for me. I will add that I'll take extra human deaths - even extra nonhuman deaths - from air pollution over the Russian Roulette style chance of ruining whole regions for millennia. Best, though, is to not burn coal OR roll the dice with nuclear power.

And this time I responded without being a total prick! :D

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
That's a false dichotomy.

There's no technical reason for relying on coal nor nuclear.
Agreed, and there there are two very good reasons to pursue PV/wind/storage/transmission now:

1. It is by far the cheapest solution compared to nuclear --- some 10x - 15x cheaper
2. It is by far faster to build -- some 10x - 15x faster

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
That's a false dichotomy. It's not nuclear in-place of coal. It's get rid of both. Coal now and nuclear soon after. Needing to dedicate space to store nuclear waste for 500 hundred years isn't a "short-term" issue that justifies proliferating nuclear power. Spending time and money on developing a means of producing hydrogen from a tech that will get sunsetted is diverting resources from other tech that doesn't carry the same long-tail of ecological damage. Who the heck is Lovelock that makes his opinion worth anything? In the 15 years between 2004 and 2019, wind and solar power has grown exponentially, and will continue to do so to the point that the IEA has earned a black-eye for how poorly they've forecasted the rise of renewable energy's contribution to the US energy infrastructure over the past decade (along with the decline of coal during that time).

Solar is available to just about any country, and battery storage makes it durable and reliable for most of the year. Wind, hydro, geothermal, and even green hydrogen fuel cells (made with excess renewable energy during the summer months) can supplement during the seasonal lows. There's no technical reason for relying on coal nor nuclear.

Battery storage is workable for a day, cheap and easy, and a week maybe. Beyond a week storage time is needed, and as of now there isn't a working solution. Perhaps hydrogen... but both technical and safety issues abound. Hydrogen isn't directly a greenhouse gas, but is indirectly, so leakage matters. Maintaining low leakage from huge hydrogen systems is going to be a challenge.

Ending fossil fuel use isn't a quick and easy problem, and those that make claims that ending fossil fuel use is easy are doing all of us a disservice.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/11/books/review/how-the-world-really-works-vaclev-smil.html?unlocked_article_code=AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACEIPuomT1JKd6J17Vw1cRCfTTMQmqxCdw_PIxftm3iWka3DIDm8biO4SBIubvF3Ae6tueJwz2CveWN9MdaAoXvh-i_VSNkhpWky3pYGHg9EbKi4xpJz2RWY329TNQbU8u3fMX1WOFd1elve5rg7Ud3-5G-GEgyh2Olo0oZRldQr8xXYDlqzaFuMi0s1136sqGpB4RWsCNyOI66G5Cg5se4nTNmGq4Qc3XeBYWjjQjITcv-pGKFMOfAqAGHBv4m8868dePMcUPMv8Kx0hfsn_gNYBGzAibdfpV9BqGd-ix_g9uqXNqBeM1MOy2_00ca1Tt7nBuWy4X0092GingRS4to0wSprR4QgUmg&smid=url-share

WetEV said:
Ending fossil fuel use isn't a quick and easy problem, and those that make claims that ending fossil fuel use is easy are doing all of us a disservice.
100% replacement is not easy. But 80% is doable now, and that is worth its weight in gold Vs screwing around with H2 or NG or whatever for the next 20 years and doing little in the meantime.

SageBrush said:
WetEV said:
100% replacement is not easy. But 80% is doable now, and that is worth its weight in gold Vs screwing around with H2 or NG or whatever for the next 20 years and doing little in the meantime.
We could be at 100% already with nuclear. But we've pissed away the past 50 years of technical development in nuclear, letting the greens throw sand in the gears of all the regulatory agencies and then say "look, it's too expensive!".

oxothuk said:
SageBrush said:
WetEV said:
We could be at 100% already with nuclear. But we've pissed away the past 50 years of technical development in nuclear, letting the greens throw sand in the gears of all the regulatory agencies and then say "look, it's too expensive!".

Not sand -- safety. You, of course, are welcome to move to Chernobyl. And while you are packing, all I ask is that the Gov stop underwriting accident insurance. Let the nukes buy it on the free market.

Right, righty ? Or is this more privatization of profits and socialization of risk hypocrisy ?

WetEV said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

Battery storage is workable for a day, cheap and easy, and a week maybe. Beyond a week storage time is needed, and as of now there isn't a working solution. Perhaps hydrogen... but both technical and safety issues abound. Hydrogen isn't directly a greenhouse gas, but is indirectly, so leakage matters. Maintaining low leakage from huge hydrogen systems is going to be a challenge.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/11/books/review/how-the-world-really-works-vaclev-smil.html?unlocked_article_code=AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACEIPuomT1JKd6J17Vw1cRCfTTMQmqxCdw_PIxftm3iWka3DIDm8biO4SBIubvF3Ae6tueJwz2CveWN9MdaAoXvh-i_VSNkhpWky3pYGHg9EbKi4xpJz2RWY329TNQbU8u3fMX1WOFd1elve5rg7Ud3-5G-GEgyh2Olo0oZRldQr8xXYDlqzaFuMi0s1136sqGpB4RWsCNyOI66G5Cg5se4nTNmGq4Qc3XeBYWjjQjITcv-pGKFMOfAqAGHBv4m8868dePMcUPMv8Kx0hfsn_gNYBGzAibdfpV9BqGd-ix_g9uqXNqBeM1MOy2_00ca1Tt7nBuWy4X0092GingRS4to0wSprR4QgUmg&smid=url-share

Fair enough with the hydrogen storage issues. As for ending fossil fuels being easy ...

The NY Times article's is both accurate and pointless, we don't need to end the use of fossil fuel products (like fertilizers and plastics), we just need to stop burning it as a fuel. Making plastic parts doesn't emit as much CO2 as actually burning it, and it's indispensable in saving lives. It's the burning of fossil fuels that's both destructive and replaceable.

Although battery storage alone isn't a seasonal solution, at simply 4-hrs worth of capacity (watch the events happening around California's CAISO to see it taking effect), it's sufficient to store and distribute solar power for daily use. With wind and pumped hydro buffering for cloudy/rainy days, that permits renewables alone to cover most energy needs during the peak seasons.

Overbuilding solar and wind (so that there's enough energy for the low seasons as well) would be how to address the need for seasonal shifting. The overbuilding method would leave us with excess renewables during the peak seasons, which can be spent to desalinate seawater (California has some serious water shortage issues), or produce green hydrogen to depress the market for blue hydrogen (my original thinking with the fuel cell power plants until you reminded me about the storage issues). Although overbuilding runs into capital issues (money is tied up doing nothing part of the time), the costs are low enough that it would still be cheaper than maintaining nuclear/coal/natural-gas power plants.

And then there's politics, but that has no bearing on the technical merits of the solution.

So the method to end the burning of fossil fuels is indeed easy, but it will take time and money (and politic will) to implement, so it's definitely not quick.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Fair enough with the hydrogen storage issues. As for ending fossil fuels being easy ...

The NY Times article's is both accurate and pointless, we don't need to end the use of fossil fuel products (like fertilizers and plastics), we just need to stop burning it as a fuel. Making plastic parts doesn't emit as much CO2 as actually burning it, and it's indispensable in saving lives. It's the burning of fossil fuels that's both destructive and replaceable.

So the method to end the burning of fossil fuels is indeed easy, but it will take time and money (and politic will) to implement, so it's definitely not quick.

Follow the carbon. From geologic storage as fossil fuels to ... where?

We do need to end the use of all fossil fuel products, but some uses are far higher priority than others. Fossil fuel burning of course. Consider that fossil fuel used to produce fertilizer is released as CO2 when the ammonia decomposes. While this time isn't a constant, it also isn't very long on the geologic scale. Decades to a century. Many plastics might be landfill, and landfills in the right places would be for geologic time, but not all plastics will be landfill. Also, for every carbon atom in plastics, some methane and other hydrocarbons will escape, oxidize and form CO2.

WetEV said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

We do need to end the use of all fossil fuel products, but some uses are far higher priority than others. Fossil fuel burning of course. Consider that fossil fuel used to produce fertilizer is released as CO2 when the ammonia decomposes. While this time isn't a constant, it also isn't very long on the geologic scale. Decades to a century. Many plastics might be landfill, and landfills in the right places would be for geologic time, but not all plastics will be landfill. Also, for every carbon atom in plastics, some methane and other hydrocarbons will escape, oxidize and form CO2.

We've agreed on the burning of fossil fuels, so that solves 80% of the problem.

I'm not following on the rest of the logic though. Ammonia is NH3, any CO2 released is part of another biological reaction that would release CO2 anyway. As for the plastics, does it matter if it's not sequestered on geologic scales? A few hundred years buys us considerably more time than what we have now.

And you cited the NY Times article to say that people are too optimistic about the timeline to eliminate fossil fuel use, yet deride the idea that we don't need to eliminate fossil fuel use in everything. What problem are you addressing, or path-to-solution you're advocating?

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Ammonia is NH3, any CO2 released is part of another biological reaction that would release CO2 anyway.

Err ... what ?

Fertilizer is made by using methane (CH4) as the hydrogen donor. In that step the leftover carbon is oxidized to CO2

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
WetEV said:

I'm not following on the rest of the logic though. Ammonia is NH3, any CO2 released is part of another biological reaction that would release CO2 anyway.

Ah duh, you are correct, to a point. Ammonia NH3 decomposes partly to nitrous oxide, which is about 7% of greenhouse gases released. Wrong atom/ greenhouse gas, not CO2. The application of nitrogen fertilizers accounts for the majority of N2O emissions in the United States. There are other sources of nitrous oxide as well.

https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/overview-greenhouse-gases

If fossil fuel is used to produce ammonia, carbon is of course released at the point of production of the ammonia, and to an extent from leaks before that point.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
As for the plastics, does it matter if it's not sequestered on geologic scales? A few hundred years buys us considerably more time than what we have now.

And you cited the NY Times article to say that people are too optimistic about the timeline to eliminate fossil fuel use, yet deride the idea that we don't need to eliminate fossil fuel use in everything. What problem are you addressing, or path-to-solution you're advocating?

First, it is a NY Times review of a book.

Secondly, plastics is a lower priority item. Geologic time matters as the climate cycle was and needs to be balanced on geologic time. We can't take carbon out of geologic storage, release it into the environment and expect nothing bad to happen.

Lastly, perhaps you might want to read at least the whole review, if not the book.

SageBrush said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Ammonia is NH3, any CO2 released is part of another biological reaction that would release CO2 anyway.

Err ... what ?

Fertilizer is made by using methane (CH4) as the hydrogen donor. In that step the leftover carbon is oxidized to CO2

Gold star for you.

WetEV said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
WetEV said:

I'm not following on the rest of the logic though. Ammonia is NH3, any CO2 released is part of another biological reaction that would release CO2 anyway.

Ah duh, you are correct, to a point. Ammonia NH3 decomposes partly to nitrous oxide, which is about 7% of greenhouse gases released. Wrong atom/ greenhouse gas, not CO2. The application of nitrogen fertilizers accounts for the majority of N2O emissions in the United States. There are other sources of nitrous oxide as well.

https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/overview-greenhouse-gases

If fossil fuel is used to produce ammonia, carbon is of course released at the point of production of the ammonia, and to an extent from leaks before that point.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
As for the plastics, does it matter if it's not sequestered on geologic scales? A few hundred years buys us considerably more time than what we have now.

First, it is a NY Times review of a book.

Secondly, plastics is a lower priority item. Geologic time matters as the climate cycle was and needs to be balanced on geologic time. We can't take carbon out of geologic storage, release it into the environment and expect nothing bad to happen.

Lastly, perhaps you might want to read at least the whole review, if not the book.

Sorry, but I refuse to read reviews of a book as a source material. That's like trying to learn by inference based off of other inferences. I have always tried to understand a topic holistically and with as much direct experience as possible. It's simply not possible to appreciate engineering without learning how to replicate it yourself. That's how I was able to conclude that the Porsche engineers screwed up with their 2-speed transmission. Appealing to authority is considered a logical fallacy for a reason. Not all authority figures know what they're talking about, or they are quoted out of context.

Anyway, back to the fertilizers. Although it's currently the cheapest, there isn't a requirement for NH3 to be made from methane (CH4). There are already a few electricity-only processes for synthesizing NH3 from nitrogen in the air and electrolyzed H2. They're simply more expensive solutions. So fertilizer production does NOT have to be a carbon-positive operation.

Again, if we go with the "overbuilding solar and wind" method of solving the seasonal energy demand shifts, then we'll have excess renewable energy during the peak seasons for use in producing non-fossil-fuel-based NH3. Low cost energy makes many things cheaper and thus more likely to be used. Although this only reduces fossil fuel use during the peak seasons, it's better than nothing, and at least brings us closer to eliminating CO2 in our industries.

As for plastic sequestration and geologic times, I think you've missed my point and that I'm not understanding your point (maybe something to do with the book review?).

SageBrush said:
oxothuk said:
SageBrush said:

Not sand -- safety. You, of course, are welcome to move to Chernobyl.
I would gladly live in France, where 75% of electricity comes from nuclear. They have managed to achieve a reasonable balance between safety and cost in their regulatory regime.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Again, if we go with the "overbuilding solar and wind" method of solving the seasonal energy demand shifts, then we'll have excess renewable energy during the peak seasons for use in producing non-fossil-fuel-based NH3. Low cost energy makes many things cheaper and thus more likely to be used.
Do you know of any current/planned projects to do this? I'm genuinely interested in industries which could economically operate on intermittent electricity sources.

oxothuk said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Again, if we go with the "overbuilding solar and wind" method of solving the seasonal energy demand shifts, then we'll have excess renewable energy during the peak seasons for use in producing non-fossil-fuel-based NH3. Low cost energy makes many things cheaper and thus more likely to be used.
Do you know of any current/planned projects to do this? I'm genuinely interested in industries which could economically operate on intermittent electricity sources.

No, because it needs to be driven by the solar/wind farm owners, NOT the fertilizer manufacturers. There's already some curtailment of solar/wind farms during the peak season, which affects the solar/wind farm owner's profitability. These curtailments would only get worse as more solar/wind is deployed. The incentive to do something with that power instead of curtailing it is with the farm owners. If the farm owners could divert that power to producing one-off batches of ammonia, hydrogen, or methane, it would be a value-added functionality that would pad their bottom line. Right now, the curtailments are still infrequent enough that it's not a large factor on the bottom line, so farm owners are willing to simply let it be.

Back