Range Miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babbles

Tried to find a thread on this basic question but are range miles actual mile increments or are they more like quarter or half mile increments?? What I mean is as I travel, it seems the miles decrease at half mile increments or so, hope that makes sense, thanks!

Are you talking about the guess-o-meter which is the silly number on the right side of the dash? If so, who cares? It's crap.

https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=271853#p271853

If you still have an '11 Leaf, then you should use Leaf Spy to look at battery gids as a proxy for % state of charge. The 1% increment SoC display didn't arrive until model year '13. Otherwise, you only have the too coarse 12 fuel bars on the right + the crap GOM.

My former 11 bar '13 Leaf would charge up to ~230ish or 240ish gids at 100%.

If you drive a low speeds, you might see the # of miles on the GOM be less than the # of miles driven. I've started out at 80 miles on the GOM, driven 8 miles and it went up to 88 miles. On the highway, it'll tick down much faster (e.g. say 1.5 to 2+ miles for each mile driven). If I drive up a steep hill at highway speeds (e.g. highway 17), I've seen it drop 40 miles after going only 10 miles. Again, it's crap.

babbles said:
Tried to find a thread on this basic question but are range miles actual mile increments or are they more like quarter or half mile increments?? What I mean is as I travel, it seems the miles decrease at half mile increments or so, hope that makes sense, thanks!
They are supposed to be miles but as cwerdna said, it's basically crap, wildly swinging all over the map depending on your latest driving conditions. GIDs are a better indication of range left or I personally like to use the percent battery capacity left to give me an idea if I'll make it back home or need to charge but that's not ideal if not starting out with a full charge or making multiple stops on a trip.

OP has an '11, at last check As I said, the 1% increment SoC display didn't arrive until model year '13. There are percentages in Leaf Spy but I never went by those. I went by my '13 Leaf's % SoC display and looked at battery gids in Leaf Spy.

cwerdna said:
OP has an '11, at last check As I said, the 1% increment SoC display didn't arrive until model year '13. There are percentages in Leaf Spy but I never went by those. I went by my '13 Leaf's % SoC display and looked at battery gids in Leaf Spy.
Good point, my '11 has a LeafDD with a percentage display so I kind of forget how in the blind one is without it. Nowadays I'd have just gone with LeafSpy and again really totally ignored the GOM.

To summarize: if you can find a used Leaf DD device, that will make it much easier to tell how much charge you have left, with little mental math or action needed. Failing that, a cheap smart phone (no cell service required) and Bluetooth dongle will give you LeafSpy Pro capability. That will give you lots of information, like a good estimate of remaining range. It just requires a little more effort to use it. I was lucky to have a 2013 SV as my first Leaf (and VERY lucky that it was built in April and not March of that year) with the % charge display available. I selected that once, and never changed the setting again.

thanks! also, I was told the reconditioned battery needs to recalibrate itself in a few hundred miles or so?? why is that?

Back