Hydrogen and FCEVs discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
WetEV said:
First, it is a NY Times review of a book.

Secondly, plastics is a lower priority item. Geologic time matters as the climate cycle was and needs to be balanced on geologic time. We can't take carbon out of geologic storage, release it into the environment and expect nothing bad to happen.

Lastly, perhaps you might want to read at least the whole review, if not the book.

Sorry, but I refuse to read reviews of a book as a source material.

Yet here is the point of the review and the book. Very many things are made and done, mostly now with fossil fuels, and not all of them have easy replacements. Humility is needed, as blanket statements about how easy it is to replace with wind and solar are almost certainly wrong. Or that matter, replace with nuclear. Which doesn't mean we shouldn't be trying to find alternatives, we must find alternatives. Yet this will take many decades at minimum.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
GRA said:
Nukes are going to be around a long time, even assuming that we'll eventually be able to do without them, which is by no means clear. Many countries simply don't have the RE, so will be dependent on others if they're willing to be so dependent.

[Snip detailed reply]

That's a false dichotomy. It's not nuclear in-place of coal. It's get rid of both. Coal now and nuclear soon after.

'Nuclear soon after' isn't going to happen, anymore than getting rid of coal is going to happen now. China has built more PV and wind than any other country over the past decade and also has the majority of PEVs, but they've also built large numbers of new coal, NG and nuke plants in the same period as well as NG pipelines from Russia, and need them to meet the demand. India has been doing much the same, and neither country is yet anywhere near the amount of electricity supply needed to bring them up to developed nation levels of per-capita energy use. India has enough trouble keeping the lights on.

As posted in another topic, California briefly hit almost 100% RE supply last weekend. We've been transitioning for decades, with the state government fully behind it. I had a look at California's off-peak electricity usage the other night at 9:45. Demand was 25,674MW, with 28.3% from NG; 21.6% (5,732 MW) from all renewables; large hydro contributed 11.3%; imports (sources mixed but not broken down) 27.3%; batteries 2.9%; Nukes (Diablo Canyon, the only operating nuke plant left in state)) 8.6%; Coal 0.0% (actually 8 MW, all but one small coal plant has closed in the state, and utilities were forced to divest their holdings in out of state coal-plants); and other 0.0%. Renewables broke down as follows: Solar, 1.4% (presumably Ivanpah Solar-Thermal, just 80MW); Wind, 72.2%,; Geothermal 13.8% (California has long had the largest geothermal field in the world; output at the time was just 793 MW, pretty much what it had been all day; total installed capacity is apparently 1,517 MW, with average production 63% or 955 MW per the Wiki); Biomass 4.5%,; Biogas 3.2%; small hydro 4.8%.

Now, after all the time, effort and money being spent, if California, the world's 5th largest economy if it were a country, is only able to produce less than 1/4 of its baseload demand from RE when solar is unavailable, and still needs more than that from NG, then it's clear that pretty much everyone else is in even worse shape, and will be dependent on coal/gas/large hydro/oil for decades to come. Absent mass seasonal storage of some form of RE, which will likely be incapable of using batteries given the amount needed so we'll need something else, which at the moment looks to be either H2 in some form (plus some pumped storage, maybe compressed air, etc.), or else we'll need nukes. If AGCC is a major concern, fission nukes are a least worst option compared to fossil fuels.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Needing to dedicate space to store nuclear waste for 500 hundred years isn't a "short-term" issue that justifies proliferating nuclear power.

Short term, no, but reasonable term for humans to deal with, yes. After all, Notre Dame Cathedral's been maintained for over 800 years, the Pyramids several millenia. Monitoring and maintaining the safety of a repository of high-level waste for 500 years is within our competence and memory experience.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Spending time and money on developing a means of producing hydrogen from a tech that will get sunsetted is diverting resources from other tech that doesn't carry the same long-tail of ecological damage.

Which assumes you or anyone else knows it will get sunsetted. Many countries and companies are forecasting the opposite, and putting their money behind it. We're stuck with nukes for decades yet.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Who the heck is Lovelock that makes his opinion worth anything?

I'm assuming you consider him an environmentalist; since you are accusing me of not being one because I believe we need to keep nukes around to meet baseload demand until we know we can do it some other way, I pointed out I'm hardly alone it in that. Do you hold similar disdain for Patrick Moore, former head of Greenpeace, or is he just another industry shill? Or Stewart Brand?

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
In the 15 years between 2004 and 2019, wind and solar power has grown exponentially, and will continue to do so to the point that the IEA has earned a black-eye for how poorly they've forecasted the rise of renewable energy's contribution to the US energy infrastructure over the past decade (along with the decline of coal during that time).

Solar is available to just about any country, and battery storage makes it durable and reliable for most of the year. Wind, hydro, geothermal, and even green hydrogen fuel cells (made with excess renewable energy during the summer months) can supplement during the seasonal lows. There's no technical reason for relying on coal nor nuclear.

Glad to see you're now saying that H2 may well have a major role. You really need to read "Sustainable Energy - Without the Hot Air", because Mackay shows the total RE resources available worldwide of each type, as well as points out factors that will likely limit the practical use of each, e.g. the need for shipping lanes, fishing zones that would limit tidal, wave and offshore wind power deployments to fractions of the total resource, limitations on land use, and so on. No, solar isn't available to just about any country; Mackay shows that the UK doesn't have enough, even combined with all other RE sources with absolutely no limits on deployment (e.g. using virtually all land and offshore waters areas in the U.K. for wind, or PV, or bio-fuel crops etc. and ignoring the need for people to live and eat). Most of Europe is the same, although Portugal and Spain are in better shape. that was why the Desertec plan was floated a decade plus ago, but do people in NW Europe really want to switch their energy dependency from fossil fuels from the Middle East and Russia to RE in North Africa? Australia and some other countries with small populations, lots of non-fertile land and sun/wind, and stable governments, sure.

The U.S. does have enough solar potential (given storage), but it needs it as all the rest of the RE resource isn't adequate to meet our needs. See chapter 18 for the UK, here: https://www.withouthotair.com/c18/page_103.shtml, Chapter 27 "Five Energy Plans for Britain"; Chapter 30, "Energy plans for Europe, America, and the World".

Vacalv Smil's "Energy Transitions" is also an excellent source, as he shows just how much primary energy is used and needs to be replaced, and how long such transitions have taken in the past. While we can build a lot faster now, as Smil points out the amount of energy that needs replacement is also a lot larger than it was in past transitions, with the total growing all the time.

The structure of human nature will defeat us - has in fact already defeated us. We want as much of a resource as we can get. We also want /need/are driven to breed without restraint. We refuse to take seriously any threat that is more than a year away. Given dangerous methods that provide us with more-more-more than safer methods, we always choose the dangerous ones. Given this, plus a few more things, and with Republican opportunism poured on top, like a toxic syrup, reinforcing our greed and breaking down our already weaker sense of community, given all of that, there is NO WAY IN HELL that we will do what is needed to stop our own ecosystem from killing us and most of the other larger life forms on Earth, and doing it within 200 years, if not a third of that. So, with all of that sitting on the table, why not try to make the choices that will at least give our race another generation or two? I'd rather die thinking that maybe "RE" would have worked, than die knowing that safe, modern nuclear power was always just a marketing catchphrase. Like "Too cheap to meter!"

As for nuclear power, absent a process that is both safe and meets with the approval of business (because after all, we aren't going to let the governments run something that can produce that much money) Magical Thinking is required to believe that it will save us, as opposed to making some of us richer before the inevitable "accident" that erases all of the benefits, past and future, that nuclear power has and could give.

LeftieBiker said:
The structure of human nature will defeat us - has in fact already defeated us.
You may well be right. The earth is finite, and the scale of human activity is ever increasing. At some point human activity will (has?) become significant relative to the natural world and will (has?) potentially alter aspects of nature that we take for granted. Sending settlers to colonize other worlds won't help - why would those settlers behave any differently than we have?

Is there anything we can do about this? I doubt it. As you said, it's not in our nature to make sacrifices today to ward off speculative harms in the future. We can't even do so for definite near-term harms, like the eventual bankruptcy of Social Security.

On a more optimistic note, mankind has a long history of finding ways to address, or at least mitigate, the challenges we face. Has our luck run out this time? Impossible to know.

Finally, I'm not convinced that "global warning" is the most dangerous of the risks my children/grandchildren will face.. I'm a lot more worried about "global war".

GRA said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
GRA said:
Nukes are going to be around a long time, even assuming that we'll eventually be able to do without them, which is by no means clear. Many countries simply don't have the RE, so will be dependent on others if they're willing to be so dependent.

[Snip detailed reply]

That's a false dichotomy. It's not nuclear in-place of coal. It's get rid of both. Coal now and nuclear soon after.

'Nuclear soon after' isn't going to happen, anymore than getting rid of coal is going to happen now. China has built more PV and wind than any other country over the past decade and also has the majority of PEVs, but they've also built large numbers of new coal, NG and nuke plants in the same period as well as NG pipelines from Russia, and need them to meet the demand. India has been doing much the same, and neither country is yet anywhere near the amount of electricity supply needed to bring them up to developed nation levels of per-capita energy use. India has enough trouble keeping the lights on.

As posted in another topic, California briefly hit almost 100% RE supply last weekend. We've been transitioning for decades, with the state government fully behind it. I had a look at California's off-peak electricity usage the other night at 9:45. Demand was 25,674MW, with 28.3% from NG; 21.6% (5,732 MW) from all renewables; large hydro contributed 11.3%; imports (sources mixed but not broken down) 27.3%; batteries 2.9%; Nukes (Diablo Canyon, the only operating nuke plant left in state)) 8.6%; Coal 0.0% (actually 8 MW, all but one small coal plant has closed in the state, and utilities were forced to divest their holdings in out of state coal-plants); and other 0.0%. Renewables broke down as follows: Solar, 1.4% (presumably Ivanpah Solar-Thermal, just 80MW); Wind, 72.2%,; Geothermal 13.8% (California has long had the largest geothermal field in the world; output at the time was just 793 MW, pretty much what it had been all day; total installed capacity is apparently 1,517 MW, with average production 63% or 955 MW per the Wiki); Biomass 4.5%,; Biogas 3.2%; small hydro 4.8%.

Now, after all the time, effort and money being spent, if California, the world's 5th largest economy if it were a country, is only able to produce less than 1/4 of its baseload demand from RE when solar is unavailable, and still needs more than that from NG, then it's clear that pretty much everyone else is in even worse shape, and will be dependent on coal/gas/large hydro/oil for decades to come. Absent mass seasonal storage of some form of RE, which will likely be incapable of using batteries given the amount needed so we'll need something else, which at the moment looks to be either H2 in some form (plus some pumped storage, maybe compressed air, etc.), or else we'll need nukes. If AGCC is a major concern, fission nukes are a least worst option compared to fossil fuels.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Needing to dedicate space to store nuclear waste for 500 hundred years isn't a "short-term" issue that justifies proliferating nuclear power.

Short term, no, but reasonable term for humans to deal with, yes. After all, Notre Dame Cathedral's been maintained for over 800 years, the Pyramids several millenia. Monitoring and maintaining the safety of a repository of high-level waste for 500 years is within our competence and memory experience.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Spending time and money on developing a means of producing hydrogen from a tech that will get sunsetted is diverting resources from other tech that doesn't carry the same long-tail of ecological damage.

Which assumes you or anyone else knows it will get sunsetted. Many countries and companies are forecasting the opposite, and putting their money behind it. We're stuck with nukes for decades yet.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Who the heck is Lovelock that makes his opinion worth anything?

I'm assuming you consider him an environmentalist; since you are accusing me of not being one because I believe we need to keep nukes around to meet baseload demand until we know we can do it some other way, I pointed out I'm hardly alone it in that. Do you hold similar disdain for Patrick Moore, former head of Greenpeace, or is he just another industry shill? Or Stewart Brand?

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
In the 15 years between 2004 and 2019, wind and solar power has grown exponentially, and will continue to do so to the point that the IEA has earned a black-eye for how poorly they've forecasted the rise of renewable energy's contribution to the US energy infrastructure over the past decade (along with the decline of coal during that time).

Solar is available to just about any country, and battery storage makes it durable and reliable for most of the year. Wind, hydro, geothermal, and even green hydrogen fuel cells (made with excess renewable energy during the summer months) can supplement during the seasonal lows. There's no technical reason for relying on coal nor nuclear.

Glad to see you're now saying that H2 may well have a major role. You really need to read "Sustainable Energy - Without the Hot Air", because Mackay shows the total RE resources available worldwide of each type, as well as points out factors that will likely limit the practical use of each, e.g. the need for shipping lanes, fishing zones that would limit tidal, wave and offshore wind power deployments to fractions of the total resource, limitations on land use, and so on. No, solar isn't available to just about any country; Mackay shows that the UK doesn't have enough, even combined with all other RE sources with absolutely no limits on deployment (e.g. using virtually all land and offshore waters areas in the U.K. for wind, or PV, or bio-fuel crops etc. and ignoring the need for people to live and eat). Most of Europe is the same, although Portugal and Spain are in better shape. that was why the Desertec plan was floated a decade plus ago, but do people in NW Europe really want to switch their energy dependency from fossil fuels from the Middle East and Russia to RE in North Africa? Australia and some other countries with small populations, lots of non-fertile land and sun/wind, and stable governments, sure.

The U.S. does have enough solar potential (given storage), but it needs it as all the rest of the RE resource isn't adequate to meet our needs. See chapter 18 for the UK, here: https://www.withouthotair.com/c18/page_103.shtml, Chapter 27 "Five Energy Plans for Britain"; Chapter 30, "Energy plans for Europe, America, and the World".

Vacalv Smil's "Energy Transitions" is also an excellent source, as he shows just how much primary energy is used and needs to be replaced, and how long such transitions have taken in the past. While we can build a lot faster now, as Smil points out the amount of energy that needs replacement is also a lot larger than it was in past transitions, with the total growing all the time.

I really do not know who Lovelock is, nor do I care. Knowing who he is doesn't address the mental roadblocks that I'm seeing on this forum, so spare me the explanation.

Most of crude oil production goes into transportation, so let's not get side-tracked with the lack of production-ready tech for making carbon-neutral fertilizers and plastics. Most of coal production goes into electricity generation, so having renewables replace that "now" is very much within sight (despite China and India not cooperating). Nuclear and natural gas can be displaced after there's sufficient excess renewable energy. We don't need new tech, when cheap and simple can be made readily available.

As for the UK, Ireland has an abundance of wind energy and renewables already provide a significant fraction of their energy needs (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1064782/Energy_Trends_March_2022.pdf). But they don't have enough battery storage, so they curtail a significant amount of wind power. Bio-fuels crop is one of those bone-headed ideas meant to retain the "convenience" of fossil fuels, but without the crude oil. Stop growing plants for the sole purpose of burning it, and there won't be an issue of insufficient farmland! Stop trying to replicate the gasoline fueling model! The UK's electrification model of having L2 EVSE's at each lamppost is the better solution (lower cost than fast chargers, less strain on the infrastructure, AND permits charging convenience for those without a garage). Really, many "problems" are only problems when viewed from a fossil fuel mindset.

I'm glad you pulled up the breakdown of electricity generation in California, and although it looked like it didn't make much headway over the past 2 decades, did you not notice that the growth was exponential and NOT linear? The reason solar and wind didn't make up more of the production totals is because there weren't enough batteries to buffer the over production. Curtailment is a fairly recent issue and deployment of more battery storage will be just in time to permit more wind and solar farms to come online.

I only see green hydrogen as a convenient stepping stone to decarbonizing industrial production capabilities, and as a pre-cursor to methane synthesis (a carbon-negative storable product that can only be possible with nearly-free electricity), not as an end-goal itself.

WetEV said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
WetEV said:
First, it is a NY Times review of a book.

Secondly, plastics is a lower priority item. Geologic time matters as the climate cycle was and needs to be balanced on geologic time. We can't take carbon out of geologic storage, release it into the environment and expect nothing bad to happen.

Lastly, perhaps you might want to read at least the whole review, if not the book.

Sorry, but I refuse to read reviews of a book as a source material.

Yet here is the point of the review and the book. Very many things are made and done, mostly now with fossil fuels, and not all of them have easy replacements. Humility is needed, as blanket statements about how easy it is to replace with wind and solar are almost certainly wrong. Or that matter, replace with nuclear. Which doesn't mean we shouldn't be trying to find alternatives, we must find alternatives. Yet this will take many decades at minimum.

I've built an off-grid solar + battery array (from soldering 32650 LiFePO4 cells together) for my own personal use. I've tracked the Hornsdale Power Reserve (windfarm + battery storage) and followed its impact to Australia's grid that opened so many eyes to what is ACTUALLY possible versus what experts had been saying was impossible. I've also followed the near explosive growth of battery storage in many regional grids recently across the country. You will be amazed by what can be done by simply changing our expectations on how things should be done. Regardless of the actual timeline (whether it's a few years or many decades), we shouldn't be investing time and money into developing tech that solves one problem only to exacerbate others (exchanging nuclear for coal being the prime example of this). I'm not saying to close down all the nuclear power plants, just don't build any new ones.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
WetEV said:

I've built an off-grid solar + battery array (from soldering 32650 LiFePO4 cells together) for my own personal use.

Off-grid has a wide range of meanings. Could be a 365x7x24 99.999% available system. Could be a summer cabin lights for 8 hours total if the sun doesn't shine. Rather different designs and expenses. If needed, could you design both?

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
the near explosive growth of battery storage in many regional grids recently across the country.

It is easy to get explosive growth starting at zero. Then it gets harder.

How many minutes of battery does the national grid have?

Remember supply chains. How much Lithium needs to mined, refined, made into batteries? How do you do this all with less or no fossil fuels? How long does it take to build the battery plants?

Repeat for copper, steel and plastics.

WetEV said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
WetEV said:

I've built an off-grid solar + battery array (from soldering 32650 LiFePO4 cells together) for my own personal use.

Off-grid has a wide range of meanings. Could be a 365x7x24 99.999% available system. Could be a summer cabin lights for 8 hours total if the sun doesn't shine. Rather different designs and expenses. If needed, could you design both?

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
the near explosive growth of battery storage in many regional grids recently across the country.

It is easy to get explosive growth starting at zero. Then it gets harder.

Remember supply chains. How much Lithium needs to mined, refined, made into batteries? How do you do this all with less or no fossil fuels? How long does it take to build the battery plants?

Edit: Just in case you're thinking down this path. There are currently 6.8 million tons of lithium in the known reserves in the US. That's enough lithium to make 6868 TWh of battery storage (using known example of 63kg of lithium in a 70kwh Tesla model S battery pack), which is almost 50% MORE than all the electricity consumed in the US in 2021.

Repeat for copper, steel and plastics.

I can design/build both. The summer cabin lights for 8 hrs is easy. The 365x7x24 is doable, but not with solar alone (need a wood pellet stove and a wind turbine at minimum). And if you don't want to burn wood, then a dual-fuel generator (to burn methane in case anyone figures out how to commercialize a machine to make methane from CO2 and H2O).

The national grid is a trick question, since there isn't one. There are only inter-connected regional grids, of which there are 3 major ones.

As for the mining without fossil fuels, why is that a requirement (Although Sweden is testing a BEV mining truck, it's not ready yet)? Keep in mind that the amount of minerals needed to produce the batteries aren't a continuous need. Batteries can be recycled, as are most non-consumables. So past a certain capacity, you don't need to exponentially increase the number of mines. Whoever came up with the tons-of-batteries-in-a-landfill worry is an idiot.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
WetEV said:

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Edit: Just in case you're thinking down this path. There are currently 6.8 million tons of lithium in the known reserves in the US. That's enough lithium to make 6868 TWh of battery storage (using known example of 63kg of lithium in a 70kwh Tesla model S battery pack), which is almost 50% MORE than all the electricity consumed in the US in 2021.

Looks like a quotation mistake. Hope you agree.

Lithium isn't uncommon. Resources is the number you want, and is much bigger than reserves. But starting up mines, refining, plants to make batteries, plants to make machines that make all the above, training staff, building infrastructure, all of this takes time.

Repeat for semiconductors, copper, steel and plastics.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
I can design/build both. The summer cabin lights for 8 hrs is easy. The 365x7x24 is doable, but not with solar alone (need a wood pellet stove and a wind turbine at minimum). And if you don't want to burn wood, then a dual-fuel generator (to burn methane in case anyone figures out how to commercialize a machine to make methane from CO2 and H2O).

Biofuels are mostly in direct competition with either human and wild animal food/shelter. There just isn't enough biofuels for the Whole Earth.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
WetEV said:
The national grid is a trick question, since there isn't one. There are only inter-connected regional grids, of which there are 3 major ones.

Quibble. Pick a grid. Your choice.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
As for the mining without fossil fuels, why is that a requirement (Although Sweden is testing a BEV mining truck, it's not ready yet)? Keep in mind that the amount of minerals needed to produce the batteries aren't a continuous need. Batteries can be recycled, as are most non-consumables. So past a certain capacity, you don't need to exponentially increase the number of mines. Whoever came up with the tons-of-batteries-in-a-landfill worry is an idiot.

What fraction of CO2 is released by basic materials mining and refining? How much CO2 can we release, long term meaning thousands of years?

WetEV said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
WetEV said:

Lithium isn't uncommon. Resources is the number you want, and is much bigger than reserves. But starting up mines, refining, plants to make batteries, plants to make machines that make all the above, training staff, building infrastructure, all of this takes time.

Biofuels are mostly in direct competition with either human and wild animal food/shelter. There just isn't enough biofuels for the Whole Earth.

What fraction of CO2 is released by basic materials mining and refining? How much CO2 can we release, long term meaning thousands of years?

WetEV said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
WetEV said:

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

My money is on specialized algae grown on sewage. There is quite a bit of that available, and the more people, the more...fuel.

LeftieBiker said:

My money is on specialized algae grown on sewage. There is quite a bit of that available, and the more people, the more...fuel.

Growing algae requires sunlight. Like a solar cell, but an order of magnitude less efficiency at very best. Real world examples are far less efficient. This requires a vast area.

Getting nutrients, which sewage can provide, is the least of the problems with growing algae for energy.

The quoting system seems to have gone bonkers.

WetEV said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

I never disagreed with you on the "takes time" part, only claimed that it was "easy", in the sense that no new tech needed to be developed.

WetEV said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

Sorry, let's agree on what's "bio fuels" first. When I read Biofuels, I read it as crops grown to produce ethanol. I'm actually advocating for banning that completely, exactly because it consumes fuel for the purpose of reducing fuel consumption. It's tech that's a waste of time and resources.

But if you're including wood into the biofuels category, then I don't think there's as much of a competition with food production as you think. The fruit orchards regularly uproot their "old" fruit trees after they stop producing. The wood would release CO2 from decomposition anyway, so burning it for heat doesn't add to the CO2 total. Burning it to produce electricity is no-go, and not what I had spelled out in my off-grid solution.

WetEV said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

Why does it matter how much there currently is? There isn't enough battery storage in the grid for all the solar and wind that we already have installed. That's why there's curtailment. They are however being added, and they will have an outsized impact on the reduction of fossil fuel use in electricity generation.

But just so you have the info, there's 1.6GWh as of 2020 (https://www.energy-storage.news/eia-us-battery-storage-installed-capacity-hit-1650mw-by-end-of-2020/)

WetEV said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

The CO2 released by basic materials mining is too miniscule in the grand scheme of things. The entire global mining industry contributes 8% to the global CO2 footprint (https://www.nature.com/articles/s43247-022-00346-4). It would fall under the "industry" category: https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/sources-greenhouse-gas-emissions. CO2 from every other category (like transportation, electricity, and agriculture) are bigger culprits and should be addressed first. Increasing the mining CO2 footprint to reduce the electricity footprint seems like a worthwhile tradeoff.

You don't need to mine for thousands of years, since you can recycle to reduce the need for more mineral extraction. This isn't coal and oil where the product is literally burned off after use.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
WetEV said:

I never disagreed with you on the "takes time" part, only claimed that it was "easy", in the sense that no new tech needed to be developed.

If you include nuclear power.

If you will not include nuclear power, then new technologies need to be developed. While they are, new nuclear plants will need to be built to replace existing plants as the existing plants reach end of life until the new technologies are developed and deployed at scale.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
WetEV said:

Sorry, let's agree on what's "bio fuels" first. When I read Biofuels, I read it as crops grown to produce ethanol. I'm actually advocating for banning that completely, exactly because it consumes fuel for the purpose of reducing fuel consumption. It's tech that's a waste of time and resources.

But if you're including wood into the biofuels category, then I don't think there's as much of a competition with food production as you think. The fruit orchards regularly uproot their "old" fruit trees after they stop producing. The wood would release CO2 from decomposition anyway, so burning it for heat doesn't add to the CO2 total. Burning it to produce electricity is no-go, and not what I had spelled out in my off-grid solution.

Of course wood is a biofuel. How much wood is grown every year? How does that compare with the current energy usage?

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
WetEV said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

Why does it matter how much there currently is? There isn't enough battery storage in the grid for all the solar and wind that we already have installed. That's why there's curtailment. They are however being added, and they will have an outsized impact on the reduction of fossil fuel use in electricity generation.

But just so you have the info, there's 1.6GWh as of 2020 (https://www.energy-storage.news/eia-us-battery-storage-installed-capacity-hit-1650mw-by-end-of-2020/)

Half the answer, and none of the simple math. And I think there is more as of right now.

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/electricity/use-of-electricity.php

3.9 trillion kWh per year.

Let me get the answer in seconds:

(1600000 kWh storage / 3900000000000 kWh per year) *365 days per year *24 hours per day *60 minutes per hour *60 seconds per hour.

Check my math, will you? I get it wrong, sometimes.

About 13 seconds. There is no massive impact on the grid from this. Or ten times this, but some impact on good renewable power days.

WetEV said:

(1600000 kWh storage / 3900000000000 kWh per year) *365 days per year *24 hours per day *60 minutes per hour *60 seconds per hour.

About 13 seconds. There is no massive impact on the grid from this. Or ten times this, but some impact on good renewable power days.
I redid your calculation and came up with about 13000 seconds, or 3.5 hours

WetEV said:

Correct.

T (sec) = (1.6*10^6) * (3.65*10^2)*(8.64*10^4) / (3.9*10^12) = 12.93

Been busy watching the Warriors and taking conditioning hikes in the evenings and on weekends for an intended mountaineering trip soon (given the lack of snow and the drought forecasts I figure it has to be soon, as this year is shaping up to be the worst fire season . . . scratch that, we now have a fire year, on record, and I got smoked out of trips in both of the past two years), so am behind in reading and answering posts. I'll catch up my replies to others posts when I can, but will continue to cut and paste article links so I don't get behind on those too.

Both GCC:
ZeroAvia and Shell collaborate on hydrogen refueling for fuel-cell airplanes

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2022/05/20220511-zeroavia.html

ZeroAvia, a company developing hydrogen-electric solutions for aviation, announced a collaboration with its strategic investor Shell, which will design and build two commercial-scale mobile refuelers for use at ZeroAvia’s research and development site in Hollister, California. The announcement follows recent positive predictions relating to the falling price trajectory of hydrogen fuel and a flurry of California-led activity for establishing Hydrogen Hubs as the Department of Energy prepares to receive bids from across the US.

At ZeroAvia’s test facility in Hollister, Shell will also provide compressed, low-carbon hydrogen supply to the facility and other locations in the Western US. This strategic collaboration will support the development of ZeroAvia’s flight testing program in the US following the arrival of its second Dornier 228 at Hollister last month and will advance the company’s Hydrogen Airport Refueling Ecosystem (HARE) on a larger scale. . . .

The deal with Shell comes as ZeroAvia also unveils Europe’s first landside-to-airside hydrogen airport pipeline. The 100-meter-long hydrogen pipeline runs alongside ZeroAvia’s hangar at Cotswold Airport in the UK. The company will utilize it alongside an electrolyzer and mobile refueler to use low-carbon hydrogen for its test flight program. The pipeline will help ZeroAvia demonstrate and explore the operational safety case for hydrogen pipelines and refueling infrastructure at airports.

ZeroAvia received support for the pipeline from the UK Government’s Department for Transport and the Connected Places Catapult as part of the Zero Emission Flight Infrastructure (ZEFI) program to enable airports and airfields to prepare for the future of zero-emission operations.

Both projects also enable ZeroAvia to further explore the connection between aircraft refueling and landside hydrogen use cases, such as road transport. ZeroAvia operates multiple hydrogen fuel cell road vehicles as part of its operations at Cotswold Airport and Hollister, demonstrating the potential for airports to act as hydrogen hubs for onward transport and ground operations.

The company has also been working alongside the Department for Transport and Connected Places Catapult on a concept study for liquid hydrogen mobile refueling vehicles. This will inform ZeroAvia’s development of a large-scale liquid hydrogen refueling truck, an important step as the company progresses its powertrains from gaseous to liquid hydrogen to support larger aircraft.

ZeroAvia will begin flight-testing its ZA600 hydrogen-electric powertrain this summer using its two Dornier-228 testbed aircraft, first in the UK, and later replicating this work on the US-based demonstrator. The development of this 600kW powertrain is part of Project HyFlyer II and will deliver a fully certified powertrain for aircraft of up to 19-seats by 2024.

HyFlyer II is supported by the UK Government’s Department for Business, Energy and Industry Strategy (BEIS), Aerospace Technology Institute (ATI), and Innovate UK through the ATI Program. The company is also now retrofitting a second Dornier-228 testbed in Hollister, California, to conduct further flight testing.

Earlier this month, ZeroAvia also announced its partnership with ZEV Station to develop hydrogen hubs at airports throughout California.

Daimler Truck North America and Cummins collaborate to upfit Freightliner Cascadia with hydrogen fuel cell powertrains

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2022/05/20220512-dtna.html

Cummins and Daimler Truck North America (DTNA), the largest heavy-duty truck manufacturer in North America, are collaborating to upfit and validate Freightliner Class 8 Cascadia trucks with a Cummins hydrogen fuel cell powertrain for use in North America. Freightliner will leverage Cummins’ fourth-generation fuel cell powertrain, which provides improved power density, efficiency and durability.

The joint effort will support both organizations’ goals to reduce emissions across product offerings and operations. Upon successful validation, the companies intend to have initial units available in 2024 for selected customers. . . .

CO2-neutral commercial transportation must not only be technically feasible, but also economically viable for our valued customers. Depending on the customer application and energy infrastructure considerations, hydrogen-powered vehicles can absolutely complement battery-powered electric vehicles in accelerating our carbon-neutral journey. We are pleased to expand our partnership with Cummins to include hydrogen-powered fuel cell electric vehicles in our future portfolio. We remain focused on serving our customers by providing them with a choice of propulsion-technologies, ultimately resulting in solutions that best suit their business needs.

—Rakesh Aneja, Vice President and Chief of eMobility at DTNA. . . .

Back