Carplay Issues (connecting, static/crackling sound)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure. They indicated it was the CarPlay software that only the dealer can update, not the one users can do themselves via the menu. If anyone knows how to check I can take a look.

+1
So I’m seeing the same behavior (crackling and unusable phone calls/texting) while moving. Stopped is fine. Which is just rendering it unusable at least for me….

2022 Leaf running software version 0347. I’ve done the check for an update over the air and I seem to have the latest. Apple 13 Pro Max running 15.4.

To note that my previous lease a few months ago worked fine with this same phone (BMW) so I’m leaning that it’s something on the Nissan side?

Just to confirm cause I was able to do it with my previous car is connect to CarPlay without cables. Maybe I read the Nissan site wrong? But I thought that was possible with the 2022 Leaf’s?

For whatever it's worth... I do not have a Leaf, but have a 2019 Murano and it has the exact same problem. If you search around online you'll find complaints from owners of other Nissan models. This issue is definitely on the Nissan side, not Apple's. It has been persistent for me through different cords and different iPhones. The common denominator is Nissan.

Sadly, the service departments seem to be ignorant to the issue, like by instruction. This ought to be a class action case given the number of affected customers. It's a safety issue for me when I have to unplug my phone and lose my navigation because the car makes the call unintelligible.

I am seeing the exact same issue in a 2021 Nissan Leaf SV.

Bluetooth audio works great with the phone. Music played via CarPlay (and the cable) works great.

When the car is stationary, it seems to work very reliably.

HOWEVER, whenever I am driving, almost every single time, there is static using Siri and when I am using the phone.

This phone works great in other cars and I have swapped cables to double check.

I am going to go to the dealer to see what they say. Fortunately, in California, we have a 'lemon law' and as much as I love the Leaf, I am not going to be afraid to create a documentation trail to use it.

In the meantime, we need everyone to complain vigorously to Nissan to get this issue fixed!

Thanks,

Phil

Please see my post - https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=620464#p620464 and feel free to follow up with any details.

Thank you.

Just returned from Nissan Service for this issue on my 2022 Nissan Leaf SV. They reported 'Issue is currently under engineering review.'. I saw in another thread that someone observed that it could be microphone related. I am able to use Google Maps just fine and audio quality is fine. Voice calls and other Siri voice inputs it has problems. I wonder if muting the microphone when not actively talking makes a difference?

GaRailroader

I got tired of the factory-delivered Carplay crackly audio on my new 2022 SV Plus so I dropped of the car at the nearby dealership's service department Tuesday night for Wednesday review. They called me to say they opened a ticket with Nissan Corporate and are still waiting for how Corporate dictates how they want the service department to fix the issue.
My detailed note said Android Auto was flawless with an older Google Pixel One I tested, and Bluetooth was flawless with both phones, but I rely on Carplay with my iPhone, and Carplay works flawlessly in my 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid with either a generic or a genuine Apple cable.
We'll see how long Nissan takes to decide what to do about the issue. Told the service department to keep the car as long as it takes to get the problem solved.

scotte said:
I got tired of the factory-delivered Carplay crackly audio on my new 2022 SV Plus so I dropped of the car at the nearby dealership's service department Tuesday night for Wednesday review. They called me to say they opened a ticket with Nissan Corporate and are still waiting for how Corporate dictates how they want the service department to fix the issue.
My detailed note said Android Auto was flawless with an older Google Pixel One I tested, and Bluetooth was flawless with both phones, but I rely on Carplay with my iPhone, and Carplay works flawlessly in my 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid with either a generic or a genuine Apple cable.
We'll see how long Nissan takes to decide what to do about the issue. Told the service department to keep the car as long as it takes to get the problem solved.
Bold move. Keep us posted. This is my daily driver so I can't let them keep it indefinitely. Hopefully your move will force them to find the remedy quickly.

2022 Leaf SV 40kwh with same issue. Went to dealer and got same run around, software updates\incompatible phone which makes no sense. (iPhone 12)

Will follow thread, Nissan please fix!

See my extensive blog post on crackling with CarPlay

https://butdoesitwork.typepad.com/but_does_it_work/2021/08/new-nissan-leaf-terrible-intermindent-static-when-iphones-are-connected-to-apple-car-play.html

Oh..... I may have to give mine a call. Too bad it's not something they can do OTA or via a USB download at home.

LimeLeaf said:
Visited my local dealer and the infotainment update to version 0354 (bulletin NTB22-058a) fixed all CarPlay/Siri issues for me! Finally!

What model is yours? Mine’s a 2022 Nissan Leaf SV and they’re saying they don’t see that bulletin or one that’s available for my car. Trying to get some more info from ya so I can figure out what the service center is talking about.

vegasboy99 said:
LimeLeaf said:
Visited my local dealer and the infotainment update to version 0354 (bulletin NTB22-058a) fixed all CarPlay/Siri issues for me! Finally!

What model is yours? Mine’s a 2022 Nissan Leaf SV and they’re saying they don’t see that bulletin or one that’s available for my car. Trying to get some more info from ya so I can figure out what the service center is talking about.

Nissan Leaf 2022, SV Plus! I'm in Canada, if that means anything... but I think the bulletin was for all of North America.

vegasboy99 said:
LimeLeaf said:

Just called a nearby dealership (SoCal , US) and had a similar experience on the phone. They had no clue and asked me to provide a copy of the notice I received from Nissan. Told them I have not received a notice but I came to know about this bulletin over the internet. The service advisor on the phone refused to look it up and simply said come in and the technician will trouble shoot it as a break fix and if they can observe the issue then they will search Nissan database and if this service bulletin comes up then they will try to update. He said it may take a day or more. I said no thank you.

This is really not good. Nissan need to get its act together. Perhaps its a matter of dealership wanting to create billable hours back to NIssan but the inconvenience for us is real.

Anyone in US managed to have this fix applied yet? How long did the process take and did you have similar challenges navigating the dealership?

Thanks for all your insights.

I have my appointment scheduled for tomorrow, and I confirmed that they were aware of the TSB and had it available. Fingers crossed they apply the fix tomorrow!

sirfergy said:
I have my appointment scheduled for tomorrow, and I confirmed that they were aware of the TSB and had it available. Fingers crossed they apply the fix tomorrow!

Fingers crossed for you. Can you get any info to help get these guys straight? They still want me to bring it in again for a diagnostic (they don’t care what it on this forum - his words). And he’s saying it’ll be hours. Dude, it’s a simple firmware update to the head unit. It shouldn’t take long at all. Plus it’s very frustrating when they say they don’t know what I’m talking about even after giving them that bulletin from the previous posts.

vegasboy99 said:
sirfergy said:

Fingers crossed for you. Can you get any info to help get these guys straight? They still want me to bring it in again for a diagnostic (they don’t care what it on this forum - his words). And he’s saying it’ll be hours. Dude, it’s a simple firmware update to the head unit. It shouldn’t take long at all. Plus it’s very frustrating when they say they don’t know what I’m talking about even after giving them that bulletin from the previous posts.

Oooof! Sounds like exact same response I got when I called. This sucks really. I think my best bet is to call other dealers and see if any of them respond differently.

Meanwhile @sirfergy, best of luck with your appointment. Please let us know how it goes.

Back