Leaf does not Charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's correct! I reset the codes and disconnect the battery for 10 minutes... again after 2 exact minutes of connect the charger..... the charger disconnects,

As I said the car battery does never reach 14.4 volts, is there a way to fix the D.C.-D.C. Charger?

I think that since the car monitor that the local battery never goes up to 14.4 volts the car Disconnect the main charger....

What other option do I have?

Not timers stored at all, the ground of the charger are ok, I have other 4 chargers and the problem it's the same of each, I test this unit with another leaf and env-200 (nissan) and works fine!

Here in my country does not have support for leaf, do you know where can I request in USA, or where I can find specialized trained technician?

Yeah, this is shaping up to be a case of either a bad charger or a disconnected line. Earlier, you posted the DTCs that come from the car, here:

P3177
P3171
P3170
P316C and
B26C1

Is that still right? I'll break them down here. These codes seem to be for a 2013+ model LEAF, so this is from the 2013 info:
P3177 - ECU ACTIVATION ERROR (EV system start error) - looks like a general error. Any system can be a cause.
P3171 - PD MODULE SYSTEM (Power Delivery module system) - This is a general error saying that the PDM has an error in its system.
P3170 - Also PD MODULE SYSTEM - general error.
P316C - Has some interesting info, but also seems like a general error. It ties in with P3177.
B26C1 - I spent a very long time trying to figure this one out, but couldn't find it anywhere in the manuals or online. However, if it's B29C1 (see below), then it refers to a whole host of EVSE (charging station, not internal) errors. In fact, this is where the story gets good... because the symptoms you describe are similar to how the Leaf behaves when it's not able to properly start charging normally due to external factors - for example, if I have an AC line of an EVSE disconnected, yet the EVSE keeps signalling "you can charge, go ahead", the car will stop after 2 minutes and set a similar set of faults.

Now, here's where it gets good. Assuming that the B26C1 DTC is really B29C1, then Nissan has a present for you.
http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/local_links.php?linkid=3867&catid=783 (you have to register for a free forum account there to get the "save" button on that page)

That service bulletin nails your symptoms to a "T". You've got the codes, and the symptoms, that they describe there.
IF YOU CONFIRM:
The customer states the HV battery charger of an applied vehicle will not charge or will not complete charging
AND
The EV warning light is on and all of the following DTCs are found stored:
• P316C, P3170, P3171, and B29C1
NOTE: CONSULT III plus must display B29C1 with malfunction type “EVSE no signal” or “EVSE invalid signal”.
ACTION:

The only question is, do you have anyone around with a "CONSULT III Plus" unit? I'd imagine that pretty much anyone that works professionally with Nissan cars should have one... not a shade-tree mechanic that works on carburetors, but one that isn't afraid of a Nissan made in the past decade. They should be able to follow the directions right out of that bulletin and apply the fix.

Tiniest bit more info, worthy of its own reply.

This seems to have come up a few times... provided that B29C1 is really the correct code (are you able to double check, maybe a typo?)... then this is seeming very much like a software-fixable problem.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=12813 - in this thread, the guy went around the block a few times with replacements by the dealer. This isn't a road available for you to go down, so of course, we need to nail it right the first time. ;)

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=17078 - this one wasn't really resolved as the OP never came back to update on what happened... but I guess that could be a good sign?

Hopefully these help get your issue fixed :mrgreen:

Many of us are making assumptions, but just to clear the supply side as a potential issue, can you verify the following?

Has car ever been successful charging while in Guatemala? How long has it been there? These would help verify that we're not looking at a grounding or polarization issue with the EVSE. Forum threads involving inverter-generators may be of some help here if the car hasn't charged off the Guatemala grid or is in a new location that has never worked.

OH BOY! So the car in question lives in Guatemala?? I a Nissan Dealer in Guatemala has given up, then you're up the creek.

Since you are in a third world foreign country, I would make sure that the Electrical outlet has good connections, and a good ground... When I first got my Leaf I discovered that my garage did not have a ground, and the 120v brick gave an orange light of an error, and the car would not charge until it sensed a ground.

I would unload that car in a hurry... You don't bring high technology into the jungle, or it will end up abandoned and overgrown in the jungle in 30 years.

Hi, the correct code is the B29C1 and the bulltin applies excatly but on page 8 of this bulletin they list the ECU parts number that are valid for this bulletin and my ECU part number its no on this list, I found the NTB2016-2006 and is almost the same but againg the part # is not listed, My ECU part is 292C0-4NR3B and on the list the most similar part is 292C0-4NR3A so the bulletin is not valid in theory. (Only the final letter changes), Do you know if this bulletin can be applied even if the ECU number is not listed? I thin that is for the model of my car....

The Car have 10 months in Guatemala and everithign works fine, My Company works with 12 electric units eNV-200 (nissan) since 2 years ago and works fine, I own another 2014 Leaf and works fine so the ground and voltage are guarantee, The Electrical requiremente is correct and guarantee,

Please tell me if I can run the instructions of the Bulletin on my leaf to try to solve the issue,

Joshuac0711 said:
Hi, the correct code is the B29C1 and the bulltin applies excatly but on page 8 of this bulletin they list the ECU parts number that are valid for this bulletin and my ECU part number its no on this list, I found the NTB2016-2006 and is almost the same but againg the part # is not listed, My ECU part is 292C0-4NR3B and on the list the most similar part is 292C0-4NR3A so the bulletin is not valid in theory. (Only the final letter changes), Do you know if this bulletin can be applied even if the ECU number is not listed? I thin that is for the model of my car....

The Car have 10 months in Guatemala and everithign works fine, My Company works with 12 electric units eNV-200 (nissan) since 2 years ago and works fine, I own another 2014 Leaf and works fine so the ground and voltage are guarantee, The Electrical requiremente is correct and guarantee,

Please tell me if I can run the instructions of the Bulletin on my leaf to try to solve the issue,

I would certainly give it a try - CONSULT won't let the update be performed if it's not applicable*. It may have been updated since then. It's worth noting that this bulletin was for the 2013 LEAF, and if yours is a 2014 then some options are that either the 2014 uses a different P/N that still has the same problem (not likely), or it was already fixed and thus not to blame (more likely), or the "B" (instead of "A") means the update was already done... but from my position (just an owner, no relation to Nissan), I can't really tell any more info on that for sure.
* - I would think, at least. Reading the directions, it looks like it has a whole lot of safety/sanity checks built into the software.

Hey Joshua,

I'm curious to know if you fixed your problem and how?

Other question, which battery pack do you have in your 2016 Leaf? 24 or 30kWh?

Thanks.

Hi @gugusse , At this time no, the problem persist and I have 9 months with the car stopped, my battery pack is 30 Kw, Nissan contact me and ask me for move the car to Mexico in order to review it.... almost a year trying to found a solution..... :cry:

I came across that post : https://www.reddit.com/r/leaf/comments/64xyjy/nissan_leaf_66kw_power_delivery_module_from_a/
You have the same errors.

I guess the PDM is defective. I completely understand that moving a car to an other country when you can't charge it is a big problem!

Wouldn't it be easier to change the part yourself or find someone who could to it?
At work we often send components to specialized companies in fixing electronic boards, you might try it, if it's not a software problem they might find something.

Its been over 2 years.. what happened with your Guatemala Leaf? I hope you figured it out. We have a similar problem, just started researching. I matches what this fellow describes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R4dGg8nIUs

2011 leaf not charging, watched the video and got a crazy idea. Why not just place a new diode in the harness between the plug and the car? Super easy, and voila!! The old girl charges again...total cost around $1... and an hour of time... (white wire to white wire).

Hey , new to the forum and having problems charging as well. When you say changing the diode, is it in the box part of the 110-230v “charger” cable, or in the part that connects to the car?

Hi everyone, first post here.

My wife barely made it home because our 63k mile, 2012 Leaf SL is not charging. When she left for work, she noticed that it hadn't charged overnight but wasn't too worried as she could charge at work. At 5pm she noticed it still hadn't charged, but she was able to have just enough range to make it home. Nissan EVSE at home, Level 2 at work. Haven't tried DC fast charge, but have read that should work, but there aren't any convenient to our commute and it seems like there's not an easy workaround to charge with DC at home.

The symptom was that the vehicle would beep and light up as normal, but after about 10 seconds, the lights would stop blinking and the "thunk" would happen. I immediately suspected a low 12v battery. Turns out it was bad, and I replaced it thinking it would be all good. Still the same. Downloaded LeafSpy and got the B29C1 236C Charger EVSE VC-98 and P3173 00C0 EV/HEV On Board Charger Sys EVC-236 faults.

Tried watching the EVs Enhanced videos but can't get the voltage or ohm readings through the J1772 charger. Am I doing something wrong? Looks like replacing the diode could be worth a shot.

A real shame... seems like this is a common issue and while I was considering replacing the main battery, now I'm worried about what else will go wrong. A great little car otherwise for the past 5 years.

This answer is for anybody who knows what they are doing (electricity and electronic) ;)

There are different quick ways to test it.

I would personally do a simple setup by opening my home charging point and add temporarily a diode inline with the control signal.
Let the car charge one time and then decide what to do. This can be done with some portable EVSE if the screws are easily accessible and everything not submerged in glue!

For a test, almost any diode (non smd) would do the job.

Back