The 62kWh Battery Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
knightmb said:
My 2020 Leaf hits the 2 year birthday. I've only owned it for a year now, but put close to +30k miles in one year on it. Still getting 100% of the it's rated range, despite what the battery SOH says. :?

oBr30L8.jpg

wydMmR9.jpg

2CaZP41.jpg

Its the GOM. If you are going to use it for degradation purposes, we need to see what it said when it was new. As far as EPA? It would appear it only applies to the "viewable" range which negates the 10% of hidden reserve which only lends credence to the saying YMMV

Thanks for the screenshot! Please post a new one in a month or so.

My housemate's leftover '20 SV+ was degraded by 2% when I drove it home. It will be interesting to see if our program of keeping it mostly in the middle of the SOC range has done any good, or not. Since we never drive more than maybe 75 miles in one day it isn't a big deal, but I do expect that she'll want to keep the car when the lease ends - especially because it has the $9k of equity from the PIP we traded in rolled in...

DaveinOlyWA said:
Its the GOM. If you are going to use it for degradation purposes, we need to see what it said when it was new. As far as EPA? It would appear it only applies to the "viewable" range which negates the 10% of hidden reserve which only lends credence to the saying YMMV

I don't go by the GOM that much, but I do watch to see if the available kWh ever gets below 56 kWh when at a full charge, then I will expect a decrease in range. I've noticed that is does inch closer to the low end of 56 kW (56.1 to 56.3) verse last year when I could easily hit 56.8 or 56.9 at a full charge, so there is certainly some degradation going on, but not enough to get me under 215 miles of range yet. ;)

LeftieBiker said:
My housemate's leftover '20 SV+ was degraded by 2% when I drove it home. It will be interesting to see if our program of keeping it mostly in the middle of the SOC range has done any good, or not. Since we never drive more than maybe 75 miles in one day it isn't a big deal, but I do expect that she'll want to keep the car when the lease ends - especially because it has the $9k of equity from the PIP we traded in rolled in...

Well due to BMS shenanigans it will probably be at least a few years before we can discern anything. On the occasion should you do a full charge, write down the data especially pack voltage and SOC. I am seeing a bunch at 100% which leads me to believe that we now have an adjustment top reserve.

knightmb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

I don't go by the GOM that much, but I do watch to see if the available kWh ever gets below 56 kWh when at a full charge, then I will expect a decrease in range. I've noticed that is does inch closer to the low end of 56 kW (56.1 to 56.3) verse last year when I could easily hit 56.8 or 56.9 at a full charge, so there is certainly some degradation going on, but not enough to get me under 215 miles of range yet. ;)

Also keep an eye on the SOC not that I think its accurate cause I don't but it does give you an indication of how full your full charge is. Although I have charged to full infrequently, I have seen LEAF Spy report 100% SOC twice, 99.9% twice...

Sadly my 2019 SV+ just stepped over the 10% line and now has 89.99% SoH. (My 2019 S+ also just crossed 7% and is now at 92.99%).

I am honestly not sure that the rate of degradation is much better than my 2013 Leaf. I don't have stats to know for sure besides what I remember about the GOM in different years. After year 2 or 3 I stopped looking at Leafspy on the 13.

I know there is a distribution on the batteries, but interesting that the S+ is so far holding up better. I do baby it a little more, and it has never seen red temp bars (the SV+ was taken to red once).

The S+ has actually only seen .75% degradation this past calendar year vs. 2.5% on the SV+. Both cars see similar miles, about 6K a year.

A 10% loss of range over 3 years isn't ideal, but it isn't horrible either. Based on the previous gen, the rate of decline should diminish a bit now that the pack has hit 90% SOH. If, over the next 5 years, the pack is down to 80% SOH then you still have a best conditions range of 195 miles or so.

Looking at what people are saying about battery degradation for the 62 kWh battery, it seems to match my experience with a 2017 Leaf with 30 kWh battery. In just under 5 years, my 2017 Leaf showed a state of health according to Leaf Spy of 82.5%, and showed 11 bars on the dash. That was with an attempt to keep the car as cool as possible and not letting the car sit at 100% charge for more than a few hours.

I was hoping that my new S+ battery would do better but that does not seem to be the case, though it is too soon to know for sure having had the car for just over 10 weeks. Still for our needs even with degradation, the range of the S+ should be more than adequate.

I am pretty much convinced that Nissan uses an inferior chemistry in their batteries that causes them to loose more over time than the batteries used by other EVs.

I don't know about inferior chemistry. My neighbor's Model Y is down (admittedly in % of rated miles) in less than a year as much as S+ is in almost 3 years. Obviously single use cases, but the theme/experience is common among the small group of Tesla owners I know.

I'm a newbie here and posted this on the Hello Topic. I 'll post this again to see if there are any thoughts.
I'm retired English and live on the Cote d'Azur France. I bought my first EV a Leaf+ Tekna 62 kWh July 2020. My wife and I don't drive very much so we've only done 3000 kms in total. It has only been fast charged once to 100% when I took delivery. The rest of the time I charge it at home from a normal 230 volt socket. I usually keep it at 80% max and have once charged to 100% at home. I was curious about Leaf Spy so I bought a dongle and downloaded Leaf Spy Lite. I see my battery SOH says 91.8%. I'm wondering if this is normal.

While you wait for other replies, I'll explain my last question in the other topic: places that don't get brutally Hot, but that have very warm nights, can be even worse on an EV than a genuinely hot climate. Hawaii is an excellent example of this: despite unremarkable high temps in the daytime, the warm nights are very hard on Nissan EV batteries, because they go months without getting to cool down. I was therefore wondering if you have a similar climate.

LeftieBiker said:
...the warm nights are very hard on Nissan EV batteries, because they go months without getting to cool down.

Very interesting. I had not thought of this. Adding to this is overnight charging in enclosed garage space I can see how my battery will not have a chance to cool down. I will have to think about ways around this. Thanks for the heads up

Sounds like you overnight charge in a garage, so you could buy a portable air conditioner unit and run that when charging. The challenge would be figuring out how to get outside air to the intake tube of the portable AC unit.

I wouldn't bother though, if the ambient temperature of the garage drops below 30C overnight.

Airconditioning the garage would not make economical sense for me but I will explore natural air circulation options. Outside temps do go well below 30C overnight but my garage tends to trap the heat that builds up during the day and the LEAF adds to it as it tries to cool down. A circulation fan that expells hot air and pulls in cold air from outside might be the answer.

You could try stopping your garage door so that there's a few inches of clearance at the bottom, that might be enough to lower the temperature a few degrees overnight.

alozzy said:
You could try stopping your garage door so that there's a few inches of clearance at the bottom, that might be enough to lower the temperature a few degrees overnight.

I live in a fairly rural area with many rodents. I fear that they may settle in the garage and eat the car's cables so that option is not going to work I'm afraid.

I have a small fan in my garage that vents to the attic, for when necessary on really hot days.

Heat rises, even in the south my battery temp is never higher than the middle of the gauge because the battery is low near the floor where it is coolest.

douggeorge said:
I'm a newbie here and posted this on the Hello Topic. I 'll post this again to see if there are any thoughts.
I'm retired English and live on the Cote d'Azur France. I bought my first EV a Leaf+ Tekna 62 kWh July 2020. My wife and I don't drive very much so we've only done 3000 kms in total. It has only been fast charged once to 100% when I took delivery. The rest of the time I charge it at home from a normal 230 volt socket. I usually keep it at 80% max and have once charged to 100% at home. I was curious about Leaf Spy so I bought a dongle and downloaded Leaf Spy Lite. I see my battery SOH says 91.8%. I'm wondering if this is normal.
Doesn't sound abnormal.

I bought my 62kWh Leaf in May 2021 and it is down to 92.7%. Decline was rapid for first 9 months, but has slowed dramatically since then. Batteries degrade with age, even if you don't drive much.

2019 S+ with 33k miles SOH still 94.3, I live where it seldom if ever gets above 75, 80 is roasting for here....... might be the diff.

Back