Suggestions for Portable/Adjustable EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watchdoc

I've read a bunch of threads about portable adjustable EVSE's and I wanted to hear everyones opinion on brands and models they like.

I'm shopping for a portable "swiss army knife" EVSE for my 22 SV+. Models like the Zencar/Megear, Mustart, PrimeCom, and Shell all come to mind.

It would seem to me that the latest crop of 40 amp versions are sort of a waste since the Leaf can only accept 27.5 amps of level 2 charging. The 40 amp models seem much heavier and bulkier. The 32 amp models are cheaper and lighter. Thoughts on 32amp vs latest 40 amp versions?

For my usage, I would like to charge at home via 14-50 outlet (FULL POWAH) , charge by my Champion 3400 watt generator via TT30 outlet (120v @ 24 amps hopefully) if the power goes out or Campground TT30/14-50 outlets when we travel with our RV. Being able to trickle charge at 120v 12amps is important as well.

watchdoc said:
I've read a bunch of threads about portable adjustable EVSE's and I wanted to hear everyones opinion on brands and models they like.

I'm shopping for a portable "swiss army knife" EVSE for my 22 SV+. Models like the Zencar/Megear, Mustart, PrimeCom, and Shell all come to mind.

It would seem to me that the latest crop of 40 amp versions are sort of a waste since the Leaf can only accept 27.5 amps of level 2 charging. The 40 amp models seem much heavier and bulkier. The 32 amp models are cheaper and lighter. Thoughts on 32amp vs latest 40 amp versions?

For my usage, I would like to charge at home via 14-50 outlet (FULL POWAH) , charge by my Champion 3400 watt generator via TT30 outlet (120v @ 24 amps hopefully) if the power goes out or Campground TT30/14-50 outlets when we travel with our RV. Being able to trickle charge at 120v 12amps is important as well.
Would you buy a portable EVSE if it supported 120V to 240V with a button to change settings on the fly for 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 amps with memory of the last setting. It would mean you are limited to a max of (240x16) = 3,840 watts on L2, but the ability to change the power around means it can work on regular wall outlets or be dialed down to work with your generator, etc.

knightmb said:
watchdoc said:

Would you buy a portable EVSE if it supported 120V to 240V with a button to change settings on the fly for 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 amps with memory of the last setting. It would mean you are limited to a max of (240x16) = 3,840 watts on L2, but the ability to change the power around means it can work on regular wall outlets or be dialed down to work with your generator, etc.

I would want more than 16amp charging. Ideally, I'll like a level 1-2 portable adjustable evse that goes all the way down to 120v @ 6amps up to 240V @ 32amps. 6amps for solar integration, 24 amps for TT30 generator and campground use, and 32amps for full POWAH on a 14-50.

Your best bet for reliable charging on that generator would be 120 volts, 20A, if the gen supports it. You might have to do the bonding mod for 240 volts. Not my area of expertise, though.

I'm not sure about using an EVSE with a generator -- that would be a dirty power supply, and I'm not even sure the generator is grounded.

As for an EVSE, this one
https://grizzl-e.com/grizzl-e-mini/
is coming soon and would seem to check your boxes. See what is involved in using different adapters.

As for portable, generic Chinese, and 40 Amp -- pick any two.

watchdoc said:

I like the way you are thinking. The TT-30 from your Champion Generator will be difficult. I’ve never seen an EVSE that could utilize full capacity of the TT-30 120v/30 amp supply. Even the Grizzl-E mini can only output max of 15 amps in 120v mode. https://grizzl-e.com/grizzl-e-mini/

Flyct said:
watchdoc said:

I like the way you are thinking. The TT-30 from your Champion Generator will be difficult. I’ve never seen an EVSE that could utilize full capacity of the TT-30 120v/30 amp supply. Even the Grizzl-E mini can only output max of 15 amps in 120v mode. https://grizzl-e.com/grizzl-e-mini/
Almost all my portable L1/L2 EVSEs support the same max on 120v as they do on 240v, which on a Leaf generally means 27.5a max. This is one reason it's important to get one that lets you adjust the amperage. I really like my Zencar, ordered directly from the mfg. in China but my one complaint is the limited number of current settings. It has 13a(actually 12a) for a standard 120v outlet, 20a which is actually more like 19a which lets me charge on a proven 20a circuit, albeit monitoring it and generally for less than 2hrs and 30a for a 14-50 outlet or again as the Leaf only draws 27.5a I also use this for short term maximum charge speed on a known good 30a 240v outlet.
My old Juicebox premium EVSE will let me adjust the output in 1a increments but is bulky and very heavy, it has a 14-50 plug, my Zencar has the nicer L14-30 plug so when I need to plug into a 14-50 outlet I use one of the several L14-30 to 14-50 outlet adapters I've made or purchased. I have many outlet adapters for various 120 and 240v plugs, most made, some purchased where I could find them and if they weren't too expensive. I prefer the EVSE to have a L14-30 plug due it its compactness but the 14-50(which is what Tesla originally started using) is more common and really what you should be using if your EVSE draws much over 24a, although the L14-30 plug itself is rated for 30a continuous, it's a 30a breaker that is only rated for 24a continuous.
New Juicebox adjustable EVSEs use your phone and an app to adjust the current, something I'd not really like, my old Premium uses a tiny RF remote that came with it. My Zencar uses an odd concept, you violently shake the EVSE during the first 20? seconds of plugging it in, each shake increments the amperage to the next setting, after 30 it goes back to 13a, it also remembers your last setting. Kind of hokey IMO, I think newer ones uses an RFID card? which might be something to get lost IMO. Personally, I'd prefer a simple waterproof button and the ability to adjust to each amp from say 6a-30a, I've seen some EVSEs that only let you adjust to even amps, guess that might be OK too.
Note for L2 charging I just said 240v but all EVSEs I've seen(other than the OEM Leaf L2 EVSE) also let you charge on a somewhat common commercial power of 208v, actually I've used mine down to around 200v, not sure what the cutoff would be.
Oh and IMO having a good cable, 24' is nice and a quality rubbery type of cable that remains flexible even in sub Zero temps is a must for areas that get get much below freezing.

I'm probably gonna wait for the Grillz-e Mini to come out. The Zencar is somewhat appealing with with nice display to show you what's acutally happening but the shaking thing is just weird and I would lose those little cards for sure.

It's worth noting the Mini Grizzl-e was due out a year ago (early 2021) and there haven't been any announcements lately.

So I emailed United Chargers about the Grizzl-e Mini since it was due to come out nearly a year ago, their response was....

"David, it is unknown yet then the product will be available
Thank you/Merci,
Gleb Nikiforov
United Chargers CEO"

More vaporware....

watchdoc said:
Do not buy Mustart or any other random no name EVSE on places like Amazon. Except for Shell, I'd lump the other brands you mentioned into no-name, I wouldn't buy. See https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/charge-port-meltdown.39239/page-2#post-621286 about my thoughts on this.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nissan.leaf.owners.group/posts/7053904101347037/ is yet another victim today of a melted inlet thanks to Mustart.

There are many reports of melting Mustarts:
https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/mustart-chargers-damaging-cars.39601/
https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/charge-port-meltdown.39239/
https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/charge-port-damage-no-warranty-didnt-use-kia-factory-approved-charger.11783/

Re: Mustart, via https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/mustart-brand-any-experience-any-reason-not-to-get-the-portable-version.35303/page-2#post-719644, TIL of this pretty damning report on that brand at https://www.macheforum.com/site/attachments/d1-3a_-_march_2019_epri_iwc_-_evse_safety_analysis-et-1-1-pdf.51197/.

It's yet another reason to stay away from no-name random EVSEs on places like Amazon.

I've had no issues with the several "no name, Chinese" EVSEs I've purchased off Amazon and even directly from China, although I've never ordered off Alibaba, I ordered directly from the Chinese mfg, Zencar in my case.
Zencar is possibly the top of the line "Cheap Chinese EVSE mfg" but as they were getting a bit expensive for my tastes, I ordered an even cheaper EVSE off Amazon for my last purchase :shock:
I ended up ordering an "Anbull" Level 1-2 adjustable EVSE 16a off Amazon. The price was a crazy cheap $114.99 (currently $145 due to Amazon's Yo-Yo pricing) and I couldn't be happier. Nice cords, nice options, great price. Note as it will max out at 16a and has no "dummy proofing" if you set it to 16a and plug it into a 15a circuit, well you're probably going to see smoke :roll: but that's not the fault of the EVSE, IMO it's an "operator error" but people are always looking to place blame and the mirror is the last place they want to look.
Look, I'm not saying one can't buy crap and possibly unsafe products off Amazon, and to a greater degree eBay and an even greater degree off something like Alibaba or even worse but one just needs to do their due diligence. Looking for my latest EVSE I saw even cheaper EVSEs on Alibaba but they just didn't seem Kosher to me, I'm glad we live in a country where we can mostly purchase what we want(ya I'm talking about "chicken tax"!!) not that I think someone should be able to sell something that is obviously unsafe and dangerous but hey, I've been using no-name EVSEs since '14 and using a little common sense, haven't gotten a shock nor blown up my car :p
Read reviews but take some with a grain of salt, I seriously believe sellers are starting(and probably have for some time) put out fake reviews, good and bad, which I don't like but again try and gain a consensus and try and sus out ones that are overly positive or negative. It's one reason I like to post my experiences on EVSEs here on MNL, I have nothing to gain if someone purchases something I've given a good review on or the opposite on a negative review, of course with everything YMMV :)
I have no personal experience with the Mustart EVSE quoted but just looking at I'd probably go with something different.

Every now and then, we keep hearing of more victims of Mustmelt (melted and/or damaged J1772 inlets). This is besides some other possible issues like what Nissan found when testing them.

https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/update-on-the-cannot-unplug-charger-from-car-thread-below.43499/ was a recent one. It began with https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/cannot-unplug-level-2-charger-from-2020-premier.43462/ and from https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/cannot-unplug-level-2-charger-from-2020-premier.43462/#post-714817, sure enough, Mustmelt struck again.

I do worry about that at times, most often when using public L2 EVSEs. In that case, I've kind of made it a habit of looking inside the J1772 connector to see if I can see any obvious meeting or discoloring of the plastic. I pretty much never see it but did notice it at once at a dual cable, free ChargePoint EVSE. Luckily no one was using the other cable, which looked fine so just used it. When I got home I also filed a report with ChargePoint. I had kind of forgotten about it until well over a month later when I got a response back that my report had been fixed, took them a long time though.
That kind of got me thinking, I know in the case of at least the old Nissan OEM EVSEs they had a heat sensor in the wall plug that would stop? charging if it got hot, to help eliminate fires. I wonder why Nissan and other mfgs. don't incorporate a heat sensor in their J1772 inlet. If it detects too much heat it either cuts the charging amperage or stops charging altogether. Can't believe it would add that much cost to the car and if it were to save a melted J1772 inlet or even yours or a public station's J1772 plug, it would be worth it, I wonder if any mfgs. incorporate such a sensor in their cars?

Mustart is a safety issue, but warranty and customer service should also be considered.

I was reminded of this yesterday when my wife brought me a battery powered hedge trimmer to try to fix. The motor made spinning sounds but the blade did not move. I found a gear that had a broken off piece, and ground up teeth. Not great for a 9 month old device that cost $100.

But it had a 1 year warranty so I called Amazon. It took about 10 - 15 minutes of my time to have them set up a free replacement product for me, along with a free return shipping label to send them the broken product.

Back