Replacing rack & pinion

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alfantine

I have a 2012 Nissan Leaf. I need to replace the rack and pinion (the tie rod end is very bent). There are two bolts on the top of the rack that hold it in place. The head of the bolt (on the bottom of the car, going through the frame) has a hook on it that latches onto the frame. The nut is on the top. You can't see it, but you can feel it and reach it with a deep socket. It feels like a castle nut but I can't feel any cotter-pin. The bolt also feels like it is fatter towards the head of the bolt than it is at its end, which is odd.

Has anyone removed these bolts before? Any magic you can share, or is it just a matter of force?

You shouldn't need to replace the entire steering rack, based on an old thread I remember reading.

Pretty sure it's this one: https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=23713

If not, do a Google search to find others:

"tie rod" site:mynissanleaf.com

Very helpful, thanks!! I'm left wondering, though, how the heck one gets the outer tie rod out. There seems to be no way to access the inner connection point with a wrench.

I don't know how Nissan tie-rods work but on other cars I worked on either the tie rod end itself had wrench flats on it and/or you needed to use a crows-foot wrench with an extension to get at the lock nut that holds the inner tie-rod end. Since you're sure you need to replace the part, take a look at the new part to see how it is attached or search the service manuals at nicoclub.com.

Back