Battery Upgrades are very possible

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The open source (blank, no application-specific) code, meant as a jumping-off point to make a working application, is available there, but the application-specific code (being able to use the firmware to do battery swaps, etc.) isn't open source.

mux said:
The open source (blank, no application-specific) code, meant as a jumping-off point to make a working application, is available there, but the application-specific code (being able to use the firmware to do battery swaps, etc.) isn't open source.

of course the application code isn't public. what i mean is that the link to the "open source code" and hardware design no longer works.

Back to the topic of battery upgrades, the e-NV200 version for upgrading from a 24kWh -> 40kWh is now open source :cool: (Muxsan CAN-bridge ofcourse!)

https://github.com/dalathegreat/Nissan-env200-Battery-Upgrade

Dala said:
Back to the topic of battery upgrades, the e-NV200 version for upgrading from a 24kWh -> 40kWh is now open source :cool: (Muxsan CAN-bridge ofcourse!)

https://github.com/dalathegreat/Nissan-env200-Battery-Upgrade

This is awesome Dala! Thank you for contributing it :D

coleafrado2 said:
mux said:

of course the application code isn't public. what i mean is that the link to the "open source code" and hardware design no longer works.

Given that this is some what open source or not open source im inclined to start investigating various cell replacement options . Not many have done this and given the fact that evs enhanced have commenced their commercially viable battery pack it makes sense .. However @Mux please advise what are the allowed and not allowed with your source code which is partly open source ? lol .
We know that your hardware as you have stated is open source but the code is not open source for the canbridge ? But i do not see a BOM or Schematic regarding hardware ? So what i do see is the source code for the can bridge tool ? Please clarify the details ?

There's a full schematic and layout as well as some starter code, all CC-BY-SA as per the included license. It's all packaged together.

If you're unsure what is and isn't allowed, please read the license! I've included it for a reason - this is how you avoid any and all confusion around what is and isn't allowed.

@Mux thank you for taking the time to respond . Ive been trying to get a hold of you but really not sure how to . Have emailed on your site to no avail and would really like your assistance regarding this process . I want purchase can bridges but cannot as you dont have any on the Tindie site . Please advise how else i can email or reach you ?
given the shortage of micro controllers i can see that getting this board might be difficult . https://www.tindie.com/products/muxsan/can-mitm-bridge-3-port-rev-25/

However im certain we can work with alternatives . I have some ideas i would like to put forward and into practice on a personal level . look forward to hearing from you .

mux said:
There's a full schematic and layout as well as some starter code, all CC-BY-SA as per the included license. It's all packaged together.

If you're unsure what is and isn't allowed, please read the license! I've included it for a reason - this is how you avoid any and all confusion around what is and isn't allowed.

i have sent a pm... please confirm if you have received it

DougWantsALeaf said:
I wonder if the hiked prices of cars has changed the calculus of battery upgrades for the Leaf?
I have wondered the same thing as prices for salvaged Leafs rise well beyond what I paid over a year ago...and come to the following conclusion: if this is what I really wanted to do, I probably would have just "bit the bullet" and paid whatever the market demanded. After all, there is still a 3x-4x price difference between upgrading/extending the life of my current Leaf and buying a new car.
I'm just glad I did it when I did it--and I'm very happy with the result!

Yes it was.

I am visiting my sister who has a 2017 Leaf with 11 bars. Enough range left that its not really worth the investment and the battery is not trending towards a warranty replacement.

It's likely not worth it to buy a used Leaf and then buy an upgrade, but if you have a degraded Leaf currently, it might be worth it now.

A few, very fortunate people might be lucky enough to find salvage 40 kWh packs for around $10k - $12k USD, as well as a heavily degraded, yet otherwise in good condition, older LEAF for under $5k - $7k USD.

Given what used 2018 LEAFs are selling for in this insane used car market, less than $20k all in (car + pack + CANBUS bridge + installation) for a good condition LEAF with a healthy, 40 kWh pack is a comparatively good deal.

I personally wouldn't do it even at that price though, as the current car market is way overpriced.

Don't forget that a new 40kWh Leaf can be had for ~$20k in some states if you qualify for the full tax credit. I don't know if my local utility is still giving rebates for a Leaf but I think there is still the $7500 federal and $2500 state tax credit available in Colorado for a Leaf.

That's if you can find one..and one without markup. Our local dealer is putting 7500 on top of the msrp for the very few areas they are getting.

Only a couple new Leafs exist in Chicagoland right now.

Our country is exporting massive numbers of junk and used cars overseas , if you try to bid on said garbage they usually want as much for scrap as a new car.

Unfortunate we don’t place an export tarriff on the under 5 year old category, likely the cause of the jacked up scrap market as well

rmay635703 said:
Our country is exporting massive numbers of junk and used cars overseas , if you try to bid on said garbage they usually want as much for scrap as a new car.
I was routinely competing with International bidders (especially Eastern European block) when I was trying to buy my salvage Leaf. I remember thinking a disproportionate number of salvage EVs were going to Ukraine/Russia/etc (although that may have changed recently).

Back