2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BuckMkII said:
cdherman said:
I am thinking I will indeed be getting a new battery at some point, unless Nissan fully tanks and cannot honor warranties......

I realize this is an old comment, but was this simply a rhetorical flourish, or meant to be taken seriously? I'm not super-attentive to the auto industry, but I haven't heard anyone say Renault-Nissan was in trouble.
I did mention some examples of trouble at https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=19842&start=240, but that was after the pandemic had begun.

Here we go, https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=572239#p572239 is from Nov 2019.

I'm not sure how you/most folks follow MNL, but I usually click on Active topics.

cwerdna said:
I'm not sure how you/most folks follow MNL, but I usually click on Active topics.

I mostly don't follow, of late! My 2013 has been humming along adequately and hasn't required a lot of attention. I logged in today mainly to look up the Honda wiper blade refill number I needed.

Heh. :)

I'm still semi-active here despite me having being Leaf-less. Sold my former used '13 almost a year a year ago. I even had my Bolt bought back by GM at the 3 year mark (related to the battery recall).

I still try to follow Nissan news as I'm still somewhat of a fan of them.

The best I could remember Japan did come up with some funds for Nissan during the pandemic. They also loaned their financial side a huge amount of money so they can sell a lot of cars with little or no interest.

I got concerned in Jan 2020 over getting another battery for our 2016 Leaf SL but a Corporation Leaf Rep worked with the Memphis division and Jackson TN dealership per a service rep at that dealership. I'm glad I started my claim with a National Leaf Rep. Nissan missing the EV window is sad.

Still I think the net $20K (150 mile range) and $30K (220 mile range) 2023 Leafs are worth a look especially if one can recharge at home. 60 miles was our max range when we got our 2016 Leaf and for that to jump to 150 a couple months later was like dying and going to heaven. :)

The only new car I ever owed was a 1973 Datsun 1200. Owned a 1986.5 hard body PU for 30 years.

In the meantime, I have a 40kwh replacement battery, courtesy of Nissan under warranty. At this point, my 2016 Leaf is an amazing steal in terms of cost. Paid right around 25k$, got a $7500 tax incentive and then the 30kwh battery died (was a little annoying towards the end), resulting in a nice 40kwh replacement.

The 40 kwh battery is so far such a joy. Compared to the 20 or so kwh I had previously. Feels much more than 2x the size. Leafspy no longer works accurately, seems like the upgrade really messes with a lot of things. But the battery is real and large.

cwerdna said:
How do you like the Niro? We are limping along with the old Leaf around town and a couple of aging ICEVs for longer duty. If the 2002 Taurus wagon gives any more trouble, I'm going to be tempted to give it away.

It might be good to replace it with a Niro plug-in hybrid. My main recreational activity is kayaking (mostly sea, a little whitewater), so I like the low roof-line to make it easier to heave boats up there. The ground clearance isn't great, but since I very rarely have to drive on really rough forest roads or in deep snow, getting a taller vehicle doesn't really have much appeal.

Niro EV's been fine. I've been a bit too busy to respond to GRA's query in another thread along w/similar requests elsewhere. :(

However, '23 Niro (hybrid, PHEV and EV) are all a redesign and will look different inside and out.

I did put up a video at https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/bolt-vs-niro-ev.38418/page-4#post-722338 w/some caveats at https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/we-bought-our-son-a-kia-niro-ev-yesterday.43529/page-2#post-722339 about the infotainment system. It was mainly to highlight stuff that it has that '17 to '19 (and almost certainly '20) Bolts don't have.

Hope to be able to respond to your and GRA's query in more detail in the next week or so...

cwerdna said:
However, '23 Niro (hybrid, PHEV and EV) are all a redesign and will look different inside and out.
Dang, I didn't realize they were already at that stage in the life cycle. Not that I've been shopping seriously for a car. I was just browsing the specs on a few models recently for fun.

But everything peripheral on the 20-year-old Ford is crap now: a couple of the instrument panel lights are out, the electric side mirrors stopped working recently, one of the bolts holding the back-glass corroded out of its anchor so the glass rattles and can't be opened without falling off... Just got new rotors on the rear brakes recently, and all the basic systems of the car are fine, for the moment, but it's been parked outside since I bought it in 2006 and really could stand to be replaced.

Check towards the end of the Niro BEV thread (https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=25137) for some stuff on the model year '23 Niro EV. The changes look pretty significant (at least from a styling POV) inside and out.

Coming up on five years this August with my Leaf 30 S trim and thought some of you might like to see my battery stats:

Ahr 70.82
SOH 89.11
Hx 71.99
odo 15,666
Battery cells 9 mV

Still have the OEM lead-acid battery and it’s checking out fine. Not bad for a so-called “Lettuce Pack”!

joeriv said:
Coming up on five years this August with my Leaf 30 S trim and thought some of you might like to see my battery stats:

Ahr 70.82
SOH 89.11
Hx 71.99
odo 15,666
Battery cells 9 mV

Still have the OEM lead-acid battery and it’s checking out fine. Not bad for a so-called “Lettuce Pack”!

Indeed not bad, but CT isn't exactly known for being a "warm" region.

Weather is a major factor - the average high temperature where I live during July is 85F compared to 106F in Phoenix. As we all know, heat is the battery killer.

As to durability, I have not seen any hard data on that.

joeriv said:
Weather is a major factor - the average high temperature where I live during July is 85F compared to 106F in Phoenix. As we all know, heat is the battery killer.

There's plenty of hard data in this thread. My 2016 S with 57,000 miles is currently at 66.5% SOH. I expect to lose my fourth bar this summer. My previous 2013 S was still at 80% SOH (had only lost 1 bar) by the time it hit 45,000 miles. Same location, so same weather.

joeriv said:
Very few high mileage LEAFs. The statements regarding high durability are on a low mileage fleet overall so I don't take them seriously. Even GM or Ford would smell like roses if vehicles over 100k miles were few and far apart.

cdherman said:
In the meantime, I have a 40kwh replacement battery, courtesy of Nissan under warranty. At this point, my 2016 Leaf is an amazing steal in terms of cost. Paid right around 25k$, got a $7500 tax incentive and then the 30kwh battery died (was a little annoying towards the end), resulting in a nice 40kwh replacement.

The 40 kwh battery is so far such a joy. Compared to the 20 or so kwh I had previously. Feels much more than 2x the size. Leafspy no longer works accurately, seems like the upgrade really messes with a lot of things. But the battery is real and large.

In Feb 2020 our 2016 SL at 25K miles got the new 40 kWh battery and got totalled Nov 2020 and this past we got our salvaged title are.back on the road again thankfully. We bought it from Nissan dealership Oct 2019 for $13,418 and lost the 4th bar 5 weeks later.

Some how over this last year LSP updated and my data history cleared but is correctly seeing it is a 2016 with a 40 kWh battery. The new history database is saving.

I have a new screen that is quite colorful and it is all gauges for everything else that is somewhere else and digital format. I did find over the last 18 months State of Health didn't decline unless the 12v battery was connected. During the rebuild I put a blade cutoff switch on the 12v negative post.

Re Durability: Anecdotes lack context. IMHO the gold-standard measure of durability is to compare Leaf 20 warranty battery replacements against Leaf 30 warranty replacements, adjusting for different warranty periods. Nissan has this data but we will never see it.

Back