2015 Nissan Leaf battery warranty question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spacecoastbill

Im trying to get an answer to the battery warranty question. Ive been trying to get an answer form the dealership but Im not getting anywhere.

I have a 2015 Leaf SV that has about 52K miles on it.

I have 9 bars on the battery and on a full charge get about 60 miles.

Should I take it to the dealer to try to get a warranty battery or am I stuck with this until it gets unusable?

Two things have to be true before Nissan will approve a battery degradation warranty replacement for your car:

1. The 9th capacity bar has to drop
2. The car has to have less than 60k miles on the odometer AND be less than 5 years old from the date it was sold to the first owner

----

FYI, LEAFs with 30 kWh packs and larger have 8yr/100k mile degradation warranties

Unfortunately, you have only the battery defect warranty still in effect, and that is triggered only if one or more cells go bad AND the car shows error codes to that effect, or the bad cell(s) fail a CVLI test.

Defect Warranty expires after 100k miles.

I was past the mileage limit on the original traction battery when the Capacity Warranty was created. I didn’t replace it hoping that it would fail by 100k miles. It didn’t and it was still well balanced with 5 capacity bars lost when replaced.

Leftie would say it was worth the wait because the new battery was the Lizard variant.

LeftieBiker said:
Unfortunately, you have only the battery defect warranty still in effect, and that is triggered only if one or more cells go bad AND the car shows error codes to that effect, or the bad cell(s) fail a CVLI test.

Santa Monica, CA seems to have mild weather. Google for santa monica average temperature. I'd bet that it being near/next to the Pacific Ocean helps.

Sometimes when I visit So Cal, I drop by https://www.google.com/maps/place/Santa+Monica+Pier/@34.0087687,-118.5065777,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x80c2a4d74d5ea79b:0xcd9a111aced18f4d!8m2!3d34.0099215!4d-118.4960063.

As indicated in my signature below, my 9th capacity bar dropped at 42.6Ah. LeafSpy showed 64 SOH and 43.8 Hx. People here reported a wide range of Ah readings when they lost that bar.

I live in an inland valley of LA. No relief from the heat but much milder than the desert. :)

Back