Parking outdoors

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDB415

I have to park in the driveway. It is shaded by a huge oak tree so relatively little direct sun, not overhead, but some early/late when it is angling in. How big a deal is that for a 2022 Leaf 40?

You live in Houston, so definitely a bigger deal than if you lived in Seattle. Try to avoid charging during the hottest times of the day and avoid charging to 100% during summer, unless you really need the range. If you do charge to 100% during summer, time the charging so that you drive immediately after reaching 100% charge.

alozzy said:
You live in Houston, so definitely a bigger deal than if you lived in Seattle. Try to avoid charging during the hottest times of the day and avoid charging to 100% during summer, unless you really need the range. If you do charge to 100% during summer, time the charging so that you drive immediately after reaching 100% charge.

The mall about 1.5 miles away has 4 different charging stations and they are free to use. I guess they figure people will go in and spend money while charging. I figured I'd use them mostly. My plan, if I get the car, is to charge early in the morning when it will be tolerable to sit and listen to the radio while it charges. I figured once I learn how to tell how much I'm charging I'd pretty much run the car in the 30% to 70% range as I guess that's best for longest battery life. I'd only charge to ~100% if I was immediately leaving for a long(er) drive, maybe like when I drive about 45 miles to meet family for lunch and then after we eat another 45 back home.

Yeah, there's a bit of an adjustment period and learning curve to driving any EV but after a few months you won't even think about any of this stuff - it just becomes routine and instinctual.

The mall about 1.5 miles away has 4 different charging stations and they are free to use. I guess they figure people will go in and spend money while charging. I figured I'd use them mostly.

One of the things we tell people rather firmly is to not get an EV if you have no way to charge at home. In cases where the number of miles driven per week is low that may not be a problem, but if you will be spending hours a day charging with L-2, please reconsider - you won't be enjoying the routine after a few months - or even weeks.

LDB415 said:
I have to part in the driveway. It is shaded by a huge oak tree so relatively little direct sun, not overhead, but some early/late when it is angling in. How big a deal is that for a 2022 Leaf 40?

Sounds good

I plan to have a local electrician install a charging system at home. He is known to good friends who run a local auto shop and has put in over a dozen systems here in town. I just figured for a 3.1 mile round trip I might as well use their dimes instead of mine and it gives me dedicated Kindle reading time as well. And the $250 EVGo credit is a good reason to go enjoy some Cracker Barrel meals now and then although that's about a 14 mile round trip. I'm fortunate, and a bit spoiled, that our small suburb allows pretty much everything in less than a 10 mile round trip.

LDB415 said:
I plan to have a local electrician install a charging system at home. He is known to good friends who run a local auto shop and has put in over a dozen systems here in town. I just figured for a 3.1 mile round trip I might as well use their dimes instead of mine and it gives me dedicated Kindle reading time as well. And the $250 EVGo credit is a good reason to go enjoy some Cracker Barrel meals now and then although that's about a 14 mile round trip. I'm fortunate, and a bit spoiled, that our small suburb allows pretty much everything in less than a 10 mile round trip.

Sounds like you got a great deal with the available free charging near you. If you go the home charging route do note you will only need the electrician to give you a 14-50 240V power outlet as your LEAF will come with the required charging cable (EVSE). You can find more threads on this specific topic.

Back