Should I buy this Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Total newbie here - I'd like to get my first EV and a used Leaf seems perfect. I've been studying this site for weeks and am looking at this car. It's a 2015 SV with 11,000 miles. Here's the LeafSpy report:
AHr = 53.68
SOH = 86.44%, 385.67V
Hx = 77.17%
54 QCs & 930 L1/L2s
Max cell difference = 20mV
71.2% SOC
13.7 kWh
38.22 Ah
50.1 miles to 5%
4.0 mi/kwh
177 GIDs 63.0%
Dash shows 12 bars, but it looks like it's about to lose one bar
A 60 mile range would work for me.
Seller wants $15K

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Great site!

You are now a sitting duck, any number of responses may come in and you need to take them all with a grain of salt:

we had the exact same car with about 18K miles, 12 bar battery, which we sold 2 1/2 years ago for $9K. Liked the car very much, no idea how the current price of $15K compares but it seems high to me since new Leafs have not almost doubled in value..... What does a new 40kW leaf sell for after Federal credits (assuming one qualifies)? Probably $20K or so?

You mean 40 kWh?

https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/2022-nissan-leaf-press-kit Pricing tab has the MSRPs. Add $1,025 destination charge + tax and license to those.

For a 2015, the pack appears to be in decent condition. Note that 60 miles range in winter is unlikely, if you live in a colder climate. Closer to 50 miles during winter is more likely.

Thanks for saving me from making a big mistake. A new Leaf S in California is just over $18K with federal and state rebates. And it looks like from this site that the 40 kwh pack is holding up well. It's all good!

alozzy said:
For a 2015, the pack appears to be in decent condition. Note that 60 miles range in winter is unlikely, if you live in a colder climate. Closer to 50 miles during winter is more likely.

I can show you TWO 2015's that went over 100,000 miles and have better battery stats. ahr loss is 20% on the one above. One guy at 214,000 miles has 22% ahr loss. FYI; should be at 11 bars. SOH is NOT a measure of degradation.

Car is not worth $15,000.

Sure, there are always going to be better examples, particularly LEAFs in the PNW. The OP is in California though. Good luck finding a 12 bar CA LEAF...

I absolutely agree that it's not worth $15k, but that's the used car market right now. Personally, I wouldn't buy a car right now unless it was an absolute necessity. If I had to buy a car right now, I would buy an older, high mileage Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic (or an Accord) and drive that until the used car market leaves orbit and returns to Earth.

Back