Ultra Racing Rear Sway Bar

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIYev

Going from a MINI Cooper S to a Nissan Leaf, there were (not surprisingly) some aspects of the driving experience that I felt I had lost in the transition. I love the torque of the Leaf when I actually need/use it, but it's been a while since I've dealt with so much understeer and body roll. I was grateful to find another forum post (https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=23510) discussing Nissan Juke suspension parts that would work on the Leaf. Not wanting to spend $300+ on a Cusco 271311B16 16mm rear sway bar, I instead opted for a cheaper Ultra Racing AR19-474 19mm sway bar from eBay. It arrived directly from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia in a week via UPS.

This YouTube video of the same bar being installed on a Juke showed how easy it would be, and it took me more time to pull onto the ramps, grab my tools (ratchet and box-end wrench), and take pictures than to physically install the sway bar. Hardware included 4x 17mm bolts and nuts, plus 8x flat washers and a lock washer for each nut. Growing up in the rust belt, I used anti-seize lubricant on the threads out of habit. :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xXqk20QWUY

I did a quick test drive, including a bit of a chicane onto a service road that always caused a lot of body roll, and am satisfied with the initial results.

51286980641_0c1d72f5bd_c_d.jpg

51286980691_6b8696b186_c_d.jpg

51287701619_a460861e90_c_d.jpg

cool, how thick is the stock sway bar? And is the ultra one hollow? if so, is it lighter than stock (i presume stock is solid)

Marko

I measured my stock rear sway bar as 19mm (same as the Ultra Racing bar), but knocking on it, it sounds like it may be hollow. I believe the Ultra Racing bar is solid (or at least makes a lower-pitch sound when I knock on it).

This is an addition and doesn't replace the stock rear anti roll setup correct? From what I gathered the rear torsion beam is not replaceable, and it looks like the bar you installed sits behind the torsion beam

Ty for doing this, the leaf definitely can use the improved handling

osi said:
This is an addition and doesn't replace the stock rear anti roll setup correct? From what I gathered the rear torsion beam is not replaceable, and it looks like the bar you installed sits behind the torsion beam

Ty for doing this, the leaf definitely can use the improved handling

Yep, the stock bar stays (welded?) in place. I've been happy with the handling improvement :)

I installed this on a 2013 Leaf.

Not 100% sure about compatibility between 2013 and the later models, but I wouldn't be surprised. You could compare suspension part numbers between years: https://parts.nissanusa.com/

I'm sure some Juke parts fit on the Leaf but I'm not sure exactly which ones interchange. A 2013 Leaf has the same body as a 2017 Leaf so if it fit on a 2013 it should fit on a 2017.

goldbrick said:
I'm sure some Juke parts fit on the Leaf but I'm not sure exactly which ones interchange. A 2013 Leaf has the same body as a 2017 Leaf so if it fit on a 2013 it should fit on a 2017.

might be worth me getting one and giving it a try, especially the front engine strut bar one as well...just need to take a look in the morning when it warms up again

This looks like a fun, simple, functional mod. I'm trying to figure out what would work on a 2017+ Leaf, but am having difficulty finding a similar part for the newer model Juke. :/

Dala said:
Great thread! It inspired me to get one for my LEAF, made a video of the install :cool:

Saw that! Thanks for the shout-out in the comments, and glad to help!

Back