The 62kWh Battery Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GerryAZ said:
dmacarthur said:
The car still has 90.4% of original battery storage capacity (based upon charging energy from the wall) after 48,125 miles and 33 months of use.

Thanks for the in-depth assessment of the car's battery Gerry. One number I would like to see if what SOH LeafSpy shows when your (better) analysis is showing 90.4%? Is it the same, less, more? Thanks!
The SOH as read by LEAF Spy was 99.29% when the car was new and 88.92% at the last discharge test. Therefore, the SOH is about 89.6% of original. In general, LEAF Spy numbers show slightly worse deterioration than charging energy from the wall, but difference is minimal.

How does year one compare to year 2 for degradation rate? Mine has slowed way down but also changed jobs so driving less which may be a contributing factor

An unexpected surprise today. My 2019 S+ quarterly adjusted up .6% SoH (92.9 to 93.44). This means it will pass the 3 year since bold mark with sub 7% degradation. I have had now as many up events as I have had down, a stark contrast to my SV+ which is usually down. This appears to be the battery lottery Leaf style in action.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I have had now as many up events as I have had down, a stark contrast to my SV+ which is usually down. This appears to be the battery lottery Leaf style in action.

Yes indeed, unless one car is garaged in the warm months more than the other. Garaged, as in treated poorly.

Cars are housed next to each other in the same garage. The S+ does spend more of its like around 50% charge than the SV+ which I keep at a higher SoC (60-80%) for the wife's piece of mind.

Don't worry Sage, I have a new thermal mgmt horror/pain story coming on my latest trip to Kansas. The Leaf is a doable spring/fall Midwestern traveler. Summer is a bit more painful.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I have a new thermal mgmt horror/pain story coming on my latest trip to Kansas. The Leaf is a doable spring/fall Midwestern traveler. Summer is a bit more painful.

::shocked::

DougWantsALeaf said:
An unexpected surprise today. My 2019 S+ quarterly adjusted up .6% SoH (92.9 to 93.44). This means it will pass the 3 year since bold mark with sub 7% degradation. I have had now as many up events as I have had down, a stark contrast to my SV+ which is usually down. This appears to be the battery lottery Leaf style in action.

That is amazing. My 4 month old S+ has already lost 2.5% SOH. It seems for me that with this Leaf and my previous 2017 S time has been the most significant factor in battery degradation.

bmw said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

That is amazing. My 4 month old S+ has already lost 2.5% SOH. It seems for me that with this Leaf and my previous 2017 S time has been the most significant factor in battery degradation.

Not all is as it appears to be. Doug's increase should be clue enough that the BMS is playing games.

I am beyond guessing now, but not complaining. I was happy to have every watt available in our road trip. After abusing the battery this past week, guessing I will not be getting another up swing in September. Max gids were 715 - 718 on AC full charges and 708 on the one DC full charge I did. I do miss having the 775 gids when the car was new.

Adding my data to the thread:

2019 SL PLUS
(I actually have mostly monthly data but here are the highlights)

2019/05/19 : 99.5% at 100 miles ??? (when new in S. California - bought used so I don't know exactly)
2021/02/19 : 93.16% at 35050 miles (when I bought it used and imported to Ontario, Canada) (514 QCs / 150 L1/L2s)
2021/06/05 : 92.96% at 37500 miles
2021/07/01 : 93.79% at 38200 (weird bump up)
2021/11/01 : 93.34% at 41189 miles (slowly dropping)
2022/01/05 : 92.30% at 42667 miles (biggish drop)
2022/07/06 : 92.24% at 46820 (current) (521 QCs / 581 L1/L2s)

So roughly 6.5% drop in first 21 months (warmer climate) followed by 1% drop in next 17 months (moderate (mostly cool / cold but can be hot) climate). (actually to be more accurate, it was moved to cooler climate in Dec 2020 but I wasn't able to get first SoH until Feb 2021 so it was really in warmer climate for first 19 months or so and cooler climate since)

One oddity with mine is that it has quite a bit of QCs. When I bought it used, it had around 510 QCs and 150 L1/L2s and now has 521 QCs / 581 L1/L2s

My 2019 S+ has moved up as many times as it has moved down. A month from the 3 year since build date,I am at just above 93% SoH, so very similar.

QCs in general don't seem to overly impact SoH I think if battery temp was kept super high for extended periods.

Interesting situation as I had my 22 SL+ sitting in the garage while we were away for about 3 weeks. Not a cause for concern or anything like that but more of a curious phenomenon.

Image on the left is from the time I left for the trip and the image on the right is from today. While the SOH degraded on its own slightly with expected slight V drops across the board the SOC shows almost 2% increase! GOM images from before & after also show a similar increase in SOC (3%)... Hx remains exactly the same. Anyone have any idea on what this may mean?

The only other difference I can pick is the battery temps. 90+s in the first image as it was after a L2 charge and 70+s in the latter after 3 weeks of sitting in closed garage...

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 71
The LBC (lithium battery controller) estimated a slight decrease in battery capacity, but the energy stored did not change so it shows a slightly higher %SOC after your return. The difference is not significant so you have nothing to worry about.

GerryAZ said:
The LBC (lithium battery controller) estimated a slight decrease in battery capacity, but the energy stored did not change so it shows a slightly higher %SOC after your return. The difference is not significant so you have nothing to worry about.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for explaining this to me. I was thinking maybe it has something to do with the temperature delta but your explanation is spot on. I am sure that is what happened. Case closed.

Temperture can make a noticeable difference. I get unbelievable (literally) efficiency on cold mornings while going to work. I assume is due to the battery warming up while I'm driving.

cell number one continues to get weaker:

DMHBvfUl.png

F2l0JmUl.png

Back