2023 US market Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/release-4eda35dfd61f8a41b0b1418dcc2cce70-refreshed-2023-nissan-leaf-prices-start-at-27800 came out today from https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/channels/us-united-states-nissan-homepage-featured.

I don't recall what I posted last night having specs, pricing, etc. tabs but https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/2023-nissan-leaf-press-kit has them.

LeftieBiker said:
I meant that some intended uses include no fast charging, or only doing it rarely. I haven't DCFCd my car once, and neither has my housemate hers. Once you've realized that you have to not need QC in order to acquire a Leaf, then the importance of the Chademo network fades. I'm not sure what percentage of the driving population actually does long road trips. Of the people we know, only one would be advised not to get a Leaf for that reason.

Bottom line, there will definitely be newbies who miss the nuance of CCS vs CHADEMO and will purchase the LEAF thinking that they can DC fast charge at most public chargers. Nissan should have switched to CCS with the 2018 model year yet they are still going with CHADEMO five model years later. It's inexcusable.

You could always wait for an adapter..getting closer

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WEIXIZ-Converter-Electrical-Connector-Conversion/dp/B09X2J7R31/ref=sr_1_3?crid=PLYAXOOG58GM&keywords=chademo&qid=1655840985&sprefix=chademo%2Caps%2C73&sr=8-3&dplnkId=f6c1dc33-c73d-44b7-a959-d11f7a51b1b8#

alozzy said:
Nissan should have switched to CCS with the 2018 model year yet they are still going with CHADEMO five model years later. It's inexcusable.
No point in spending that much to develop CCS for this generation Leaf. They'd rather spend it on the next generation Leaf.

Triggerhappy007 said:
alozzy said:
Nissan should have switched to CCS with the 2018 model year yet they are still going with CHADEMO five model years later. It's inexcusable.
No point in spending that much to develop CCS for this generation Leaf. They'd rather spend it on the next generation Leaf.
New development? Doesn't the Leaf already come with CCS is some other markets?

oxothuk said:
Triggerhappy007 said:
New development? Doesn't the Leaf already come with CCS is some other markets?

No it doesn't

I just received Nissan marketing email "Discover the refreshed 2023 Nissan LEAF" which in part reads:
With over eight billion EV miles driven globally,1 the 2023 Nissan LEAF® has a proven track record. LEAF® brings a refreshed, more aerodynamic exterior design and standard Safety Shield® 360 technologies,2 proving now's the time to go 100% electric. Best of all, LEAF®’s EPA range of up to 212 miles3 (as shown, 2023 Nissan LEAF® SV Plus) means a weekend road trip is never out of the question.

Triggerhappy007 said:
alozzy said:

There's not going to be a next generation LEAF and I would be very surprised if the 2023 LEAF isn't the last year of production.

alozzy said:
But, it looks like '18 Leaf manufacturing began in Dec 2017 (https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/release-18081a4248c34cc1b792e8bf9ddef1ef-u-s-production-for-all-new-2018-nissan-leaf-begins-in-tennessee-today) and thus they became available in Jan 2018.

Engineering work probably had to be completed WAY before (say a year). Look at the US BEV sales charts at https://insideevs.com/news/344007/monthly-plug-in-ev-sales-scorecard-historical-charts/ for 2016. Bolt didn't even ship until Dec 2016. There were almost no CCS cars shipping in the US in 2016. Of those, e-Golf for the US was a CARB state compliance car. Spark EV was a CA + maybe 1 or single digit # of additional states compliance car. Gen 1 FFE couldn't be DC FCed. One had to wait for gen 2 (https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15344308/better-batteries-included-2017-ford-focus-electric-gets-longer-range-and-fast-charging/ from Dec 2016).

If I found the right press release, VW-owned EA (CHAdeMO saboteur) installed its first DC FCs in May 2018 (https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/37).

In hindsight, perhaps they should've but given what Nissan knew, planned and engineered for, how could they have known? They probably should've considered switching Leaf over to CCS partway thru gen 2 though...

cwerdna said:
In hindsight, perhaps they should've but given what Nissan knew, planned and engineered for, how could they have known? They probably should've considered switching Leaf over to CCS partway thru gen 2 though...

Yes, there have now been 4 model years since the 2018 MY. They do have somewhat of an excuse though, given the challenges of product development during COVID.

alozzy said:
There's not going to be a next generation LEAF and I would be very surprised if the 2023 LEAF isn't the last year of production.
Nissan thinks that the LEAF brand has value, so it will continue in one form or another. The precise question is whether current battery tech married to CCS will be marketed as an entry level EV.

I say yes. As for why it has not happened yet, I speculate it is a combination of Nissan financial woes, dumping Ghosn, an anti-EV contingent at Nissan, and diversion of a cut EV R&D budget towards the Ariya. This is what I see when corporations are floundering: the CEO focuses on a very few projects thought to be essential to company recovery and everything else is slashed or put on hold.

I just don't see the Ariya successfully competing in the near-luxury EV segment against Tesla, or even against the Korean models or European models. That leaves them two choices: Neuter the Ariya to offer it cheap enough to be the "value" $40k choice, or spruce up the LEAF enough to take the bottom of the EV market. The latter would be current LEAF battery/pack tech with CCS.

Sage

I do agree that Nissan does best in the Value segment, and the Ariya is too late for the very modest capabilities it's bringing to market. If it launched 2 years ago, it would have been more competitively recieved. I say that, but the bZ4X appears to be worse, so who knows.

Nissan is blessed that we are in a market where Ev demand outstrips supply 5x, so it will still sell in whatever handfuls they can bring to the US in the next year.

Even in its dated form, they could sell as many Leafs as they could produce right now because of the gas prices. Most people can live with a 200 mile range with few compromises if they have home charging. I have more than one friend that would have bought a Leaf if there were any, but now looking for a Bolt as it's taken the value crown from the S/S+ with the price cuts.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I have more than one friend that would have bought a Leaf if there were any, but now looking for a Bolt as it's taken the value crown from the S/S+ with the price cuts.

I looked for a Bolt this week within 500 miles of Albuquerque and came up empty.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Sage

I do agree that Nissan does best in the Value segment, and the Ariya is too late for the very modest capabilities it's bringing to market. If it launched 2 years ago, it would have been more competitively recieved. I say that, but the bZ4X appears to be worse, so who knows.

Nissan is blessed that we are in a market where Ev demand outstrips supply 5x, so it will still sell in whatever handfuls they can bring to the US in the next year.

Even in its dated form, they could sell as many Leafs as they could produce right now because of the gas prices. Most people can live with a 200 mile range with few compromises if they have home charging. I have more than one friend that would have bought a Leaf if there were any, but now looking for a Bolt as it's taken the value crown from the S/S+ with the price cuts.

^^This. Same boat.

I think GM will dominate the EV market if they can successfully launch all the intended models on that new platform.
Most of the population and the majority of car buyers really can't stretch for a $60K car - ANY car. PERIOD. Most of them can't even afford ANY new car AT ALL. And their rent just went up 25%. If the recession hits hard half of them will lose their job.

SageBrush said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
I have more than one friend that would have bought a Leaf if there were any, but now looking for a Bolt as it's taken the value crown from the S/S+ with the price cuts.

I looked for a Bolt this week within 500 miles of Albuquerque and came up empty.

They're in transit. You'll need to find a dealer with a record of inbound vins and reserve one, if you want one.

There's a thread on the owners forum that claimed they had halted production again, but that may just be for the holiday and then model year changeover. We'll have so see what new news comes out.

Nissan is getting ready to release 2023's as well. I would be happy with a 23 SV Plus, or a Bolt EV. If I wanted to spend the $$ it would be a Model 3 or a Lyric, or a Volvo C40. They're all too much money - I'm getting ready to retire and don't want a $600+ car payment, and surely not going to tie up cash in a vehicle.

CJBROWN said:
They're in transit. You'll need to find a dealer with a record of inbound vins and reserve one, if you want one.

All the dealers I spoke with said the Bolts 'in transit' are already reserved with deposits.

SageBrush said:
CJBROWN said:

All the dealers I spoke with said the Bolts 'in transit' are already reserved with deposits.

Wait 90 days. The market is going to turn, and production will ramp up.
Expand your search geo. AZ, TX?
Order a '23. The order program opened June 9.

CJBROWN said:
Wait 90 days. The market is going to turn, and production will ramp up.
Do you also give out free stock advice ?

Expand your search geo. AZ, TX?
Look at a map. 500 mile radius of Albuquerque

Order a '23. The order program opened June 9.
That program leaves the customer to negotiate final pricing with the dealership once the VIN is assigned.
Be my guest.

DougWantsALeaf said:
You could always wait for an adapter..getting closer

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WEIXIZ-Converter-Electrical-Connector-Conversion/dp/B09X2J7R31/ref=sr_1_3?crid=PLYAXOOG58GM&keywords=chademo&qid=1655840985&sprefix=chademo%2Caps%2C73&sr=8-3&dplnkId=f6c1dc33-c73d-44b7-a959-d11f7a51b1b8#

Interesting that this doesn't appear on the US Amazon site.

I was warned by a former Leaf owner who sold and got a Bolt (who is still waiting for his battery) about the demise of CHAdeMO. It didn't bother me too much for my needs, but I also couldn't imagine at some point a device like this wouldn't become available. Maybe Dala pulls it off, but much better would be to have a commercial offering like this one. An entrepreneur who has access to venture capital might be able to bring this to market. I don't pretend to know the market but could guess it's couple to few million dollar market.

It seems to me like a CAN bridge and possibly something to drive e,g, the pilot signal is most of it. I don't believe it needs contactors or anything else like the Nissan has internally.

Back