Does your non-GM highway legal BEV (that shipped on or after Dec 2010) have a 1% increment state of charge display?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwerdna

Started the same request for info on chevybolt.org as '17 to '19 Bolt definitely don't have it. I don't believe even '22 Bolts have it.

I'm asking about on the car itself via built in instrumentation and doesn't require a separate app (ala My Chevrolet).

I'll start:
'13 Leaf (had two of them) - yes. On the dash "gauge cluster" area.
'22 Niro BEV - yes on the infotainment system. It also shows it in the gauge cluster only (?) when charging.
'18+ Leaf - never owned one but know all '13+ Leafs have them.

I picked Dec 2010 as that was when the 1st Leafs shipped. Leaf began w/model year '11. They didn't gain a 1% increment SoC display until model year '13.

There's a guy at https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/range-testing-tom-moloughney.44504/page-2#post-734563 who doesn't seem convinced there's any value to have a 1% increment SoC display vs. the 5% battery bars that Bolt has. :roll:

A 1% SOC gauge and front and center is a very important feature for me. I had a '13 first and really got use to it so it was very hard to go to my second Leaf, a '12 with only the poor GOM and crude bars. I missed it so much I tracked down a used Leaf DD gauge that give me a >1% resolution SOC gauge front and center. Lack of such a gauge or an easy way to add one would definitely steer me away from a particular EV and I can't fathom why any mfg would not have one. I mean it took Nissan 2 years to figure out people like liked it, you'd think other mfgs would learn from Nissan's mistake :roll:

Not a BEV so a bit off-topic, but my 2021 Rav4 Prime has an analog battery gauge that looks like a fuel gauge and a (decent) GOM.

My 2009 Vectrix VX-1 shipped with a NiMH battery and only a bar gauge type fuel gauge. When it was converted to Leaf modules by the previous owner (the VX-1 was apparently designed to kill its own battery, with the built-in charger being the weapon.), the aftermarket battery firmware commandeered the GOM to display battery voltage, which is the next best thing to a digital SOC gauge - although a distant second.

goldbrick said:
Not a BEV so a bit off-topic, but my 2021 Rav4 Prime has an analog battery gauge that looks like a fuel gauge and a (decent) GOM.
Bummer, no SOC% display :( I'm going on 2 years for my reservation and hopefully will have one by the end of the year. Kind of sad it doesn't have SOC% but I suppose as it has an ICE for backup, exact SOC% probably isn't as important as a BEV......
My daughter's Hyundai Ionic PHEV has a real SOC% display but is kind of buried in the menus but better that than not I guess.

As above: 2012 Leaf has only the 12-bar SoC gauge. So about 8% precision.

MG ZS EV Mk 1 (not available in the USA): has only an 8 (!) LED (I call them bricks) fuel gauge, for about 12.5% precision. However, when charging, it does display the SoC percentage, complete with animated graphics that make it harder to read the percentage!
Before the "comfort 2" software update, the range remaining was only visible when you pulled the "battery" button, which flashed up the range (and only the range, nothing else on an 8" display) for about 2 seconds.

MG ZS EV Mk 2 (also known as the "facelift" model) has proper SOC%. It's not available in Australia as yet; available in Europe and the UK for nearly a year.

Back