How to tell rate of charge 16 or 32 amp? etc

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aftrburnr

Hi all,

New Leaf to me! Bought a wrecked 2015 Leaf. Bought it for it's battery, was going to repurpose it for my solar system. The car wouldn't turn on by itself but would with a jump box. It wouldn't go into gear at all either. Fixed the issues and now the car runs and drives! Might fix it, not sure yet but having fun learning about it and driving it!

I have the standard 120v charger that charges @ 12 amps/1250-1300 watts via kill a watt.

Found a free public charging station I'm trying out. Don't know anything about it other than it's a Clipper Creek. I -think- it's a 240 volt 32 amp station but how could I see what rate I'm charging at? Can I see it from the dash? I did have a look and did see it looked like it was charging at 3kw. I also bought Leaf Spy Pro, maybe a way to see what my current charging rate is as far as amps etc?

Thanks!

If the Leaf is an S trim level without the Charge Package, then it will charge at about 3kw. All other 2015 Leafs charge at about 6kw, assuming that the charging station can provide 27-28 amps.

I'm curious: was this a "salvage" vehicle (that was totaled and/or bought at auction) or a "wrecked" vehicle that someone chose not to repair? What did you "fix"?

On the left side of the steering wheel, look for a small group of 4 buttons. The top left most of those buttons toggles through the dash display screens. One screen estimates the charge time to 100% and for SV/SL 2015 model years it will show two estimates - one for 120V and the other for 240V. For S trim, you'll see only the 120V estimate.

No way to tell the charging current other than if your EVSE has such a display, as ChargePoint ones do or if you put an ammeter on the line feeding the EVSE.

Did the ClipperCreek EVSE have one plug or two? Usually, on public stations, if there are 2 plugs they share 6.6kW so if both are in use then you will get approximately 3 kW. If your car was the only one plugged in and it was charging at 3 kW then that's the limit for your car.

If the car has a CHAdeMO port then it should have a 6.6 kW onboard charger. If it doesn't have a CHAdeMO port then I think it is limited to 3.3 kW. The second part might not be true for all years as the trim levels and options varied over the years but I do believe any car with CHAdeMO can charge at 6.6 kW, at least in the US market.

It's true. IIRC, the Gen II Leaf finally gave the base S a 6.6kw charger sometime after 2018, but in the EU some Leafs - even higher trims than the S - still have the 3.3kw OBC. There the onboard charger was (and may still be) a separate, optioned component not linked to trim.

goldbrick said:
If the car has a CHAdeMO port then it should have a 6.6 kW onboard charger. If it doesn't have a CHAdeMO port then I think it is limited to 3.3 kW. The second part might not be true for all years as the trim levels and options varied over the years but I do believe any car with CHAdeMO can charge at 6.6 kW, at least in the US market.
For sure that is not true for the '11 and '12 US Leafs that had a QC, all pre '13 US models only had a 3.6kw charger even with a QC port.
But as the OP stated he had a '15 so that caveat isn't relevant and your statement might be true.

Back