2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While our 30 kWh battery pack failed 5 weeks after we purchased it. It was at the 25K miles 38 month window. Now with the 40 kWh at 13K/29 month window SOH is 95.48 do I'm happy.

I am trying to manage to keep the max battery temperature under 100° f but the other day when the temperature was over 100 it got up to 105° during charging and driving. My practice when possible is to charge late night to early morning.

Don't know if this was posted yet, so adding my data here. Yesterday, my last SOH reading was showing 65.98% and still 9-bars. This morning, the SOH shower 65.84% and showed only 8-bars.

I'm going to give it a few more days before filing that warranty claim, since I've seen fluctuations of as much as 0.20% before.

You should be set for a long time with a new 40 kWh battery pack. Having a 150 mile range EV in these high gas prices is like printing your own cash.

dang10010 said:
%65.55 on my 2017, any month now :D

Good battery life compared to our 2016 SL that was shipped to St Louis spring 2016 and leased that Fall. We bought it used off lease at 22K miles Oct 2019. It triggered the battery warranty at 25K Thanksgiving 2019. Loving the 150 mile range vs the 60 mile range when we bought it in 2019.

And that's a winner, lost the 9th bar 7-29.
Kinda surprised, I figured it would hang on forever just to make me mad.
I lost the 10th bar at the end of last summer so the previous bar didn't make it a whole year. :D
I drove the car normal and kept it fully charged.

Why is this thread in the Troubleshooting section and not in the Batteries and Charging section like the 62kwh threads? How about just move the whole thing over there to keep the forum organized.

My 2017 S is 5 years old today!

I've been quite satisfied with it so far although as of today, the work building where I've been charging for free for the last 5 years is no longer leased by my employer so I'll have to start charging at home. No worries there since I need to do that anyway to increase my usage at home. I need to do that so my utility will allow me to mount more solar panels on the roof.

Here's my stats from this morning:

WW0Lgzi.jpg

goldbrick said:
My 2017 S is 5 years old today!

I've been quite satisfied with it so far although as of today, the work building where I've been charging for free for the last 5 years is no longer leased by my employer so I'll have to start charging at home. No worries there since I need to do that anyway to increase my usage at home. I need to do that so my utility will allow me to mount more solar panels on the roof.

SOH over 91% at 5 years is amazing. When I traded my 2017 Leaf in March for an S+ it had a little less mileage than yours and was just a few weeks short of 5 years. Yet its state of health was just over 82%. I guess that is partly the luck of getting a better battery or maybe a cooler climate or both. By the way, we also get all of our electricity from solar panels.

I was pleasantly surprised as I thought it would be 90% +/- as I only check it every 6 months or so. The drop seems to have slowed down over the last few years since IIRC I was at 92.*% last year.

One funny thing was that it 92.5% after 6 months before the firmware update. I thought I was going to get a new battery for sure at that point but then it settled in at about 96% after the update and has been dropping very slowly ever since.

It is cooler here and I think it's been about 2 years since I've seen 7 temp bars. I'm at 5/6 most of the summer and then max out at 5 the other 9 months of the year.

We got our 22K mile 2016 SL Oct 2019 showing 9 bars and triggered the warranty 5 weeks later at 25K miles. On lease it seems St Louis USA was it's home. We are near Paducah Kentucky and we have had many 98-102F days so far this summer. We have put 15K miles on the 40 kWh battery. SOH is down to 95.06. 7 Temp bars pop from time to time with 107F max. I time my charging to max temps in the 90s.

I think the old battery had 6 DC charges and zero on the 40 kWh.

Hi all,

Long time since I posted here. Just dropped my 3rd bar. I'm at 71.6% SOH on my Leaf Spy. So, I brought my car in for the 60,000 mile inspection here in Salt Lake City (im at just over 61,000 miles) and the service guy said I was two bars away from getting the battery warranty. That it needs to he down to 7 bars remaining.

I've read quite a lot on this forum and elsewhere. Everything I've seen has said 4 bars lost, 8 bars remaining. Has the limit to claim the warranty on the battery changed to 5 bars lost? Or is this guy wrong? I still have to lose one more bar so it's not really an issue yet. But it will be once that 4th bar drops.

^^ the guy is wrong.
Lose 4 bars, get a new battery (presuming you are within the miles and time limits.)

Thanks Sagebush!

That's what I thought. It's a 2017 with 61,000 miles. So I have a ways to go. I still have to lose that 4th bar though. So what do it do when I get to that point? Just tell them he's wrong? Go to a different dealership?

snapple070 said:
Go to a different dealership?

That would be my choice.
Others have been stubborn and forced their dealership to call Nissan to get straightened out. Part of the stubborness by others was related to money they paid to have the battery test done, a refundable requirement if warranty repair is allowed. They thought that a switch to a different dealership mid-stream would cost them that money.

By the way, no battery warranty is allowed by Nissan for these cars until a free to you software update is completed. Best to get it done sooner.

GaleHawkins said:
... I did find over the last 18 months State of Health didn't decline unless the 12v battery was connected. During the rebuild I put a blade cutoff switch on the 12v negative post.

What does that mean? Disconnect the 12v battery and SOH does not decline?

FYI I'm at SOH 91.2% after 1 year, 10 months and 10,000 miles since I got new 40 kWh battery under warranty for my 2016 Leaf SV.

:lol:
awhile said:
GaleHawkins said:
... I did find over the last 18 months State of Health didn't decline unless the 12v battery was connected. During the rebuild I put a blade cutoff switch on the 12v negative post.

What does that mean? Disconnect the 12v battery and SOH does not decline?

FYI I'm at SOH 91.2% after 1 year, 10 months and 10,000 miles since I got new 40 kWh battery under warranty for my 2016 Leaf SV.

Our new 40 kWh battery was 8 months old our 2016 Leaf SL got totalled. Over the next 18 months SOH dropped from 96.08 to 95.72 because when it was out to other shops often the 12v battery was connected.

By accident I realized when I left the negative battery cable off the 18 months it was sitting in our shop it did not degrade and that's why I went ahead and brought the blade 12v cutoff switch but I don't think it makes any function in a car that's being used daily but if I was going to leave my car for 2 or 3 days or 2 or 3 weeks I will just flip the switch. The battery voltage was not dropping that I could tell but the degradation was occurring when it had that parasitic load on it of the 12 volt battery I do not understand the details how that happens I just know what happened in my case.

30 months/ 16K miles since the 30 kWh was replaced SOH is down to 94.98%. 99.78% was the day I got the new 40 kWh battery installation.

Back