Welding body work on an EV?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyA

I'm new to EV ownership. I recently bought a 2015 Leaf that needs some bodywork on the left rear. I'm not certain welding will be required but if it is what is the standard procedure? Should the high voltage battery service plug be removed? Should the 12 V battery also be disconnected? I know electric welding is not the best for sensitive electronics. I'm familiar with high voltage safety protocols.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The high-voltage system is isolated from the metal body so there is no need to pull the service plug. Just like a gasoline engine vehicle, the 12V battery should be disconnected since its negative terminal is connected to the body. If paint repairs are needed, the car should not be heated in a paint booth for curing unless the traction battery is removed or the temperature in the booth is kept below 120 degrees F.

Thanks for the response! An isolated/ floating high voltage system makes perfect sense. Good point about curing paint at elevated temp I will avoid this.

Back