Window sealant outside A pillar cover

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo2ltr

Anyone else have this on their A pillar? The passenger side doesn't have it.

apillar.jpg

No, I don't have that. It appears on your LEAF they put a bead of sealant on between the plastic and the window for some reason. It doesn't appear to be as a result of too much window adhesive oozing out. I wonder if there was a rattle they were addressing? That certainly isn't they way to address a leak. I suggest you either go to a dealer and inquire about it or remove it with an x-acto knife.

garygid said:
This is a picture of the INSIDE, right?

What is missing from the Passenger side, the jagged black "mask" on the outside, or the curl (bead) on the inside?

Yes, its of the inside. And yes, the bead of sealant, not the "mask".

I should take a better pic.

Anyone wondering why cars are delayed. Nissan rushes to be first and hastily builds cars and fixes issues on the fly.

EVDRIVER said:
Anyone wondering why cars are delayed. Nissan rushes to be first and hastily builds cars and fixes issues on the fly.

That is a rather strong statement, especially for a "moderator". To me delays are so that they can make this very NEW car right. Last time I looked cars are made by people and people can make mistakes.

Ready2plugin said:
EVDRIVER said:

That is a rather strong statement, especially for a "moderator". To me delays are so that they can make this very NEW car right. Last time I looked cars are made by people and people can make mistakes.

Moderator, how is that relevant? Clearly they are having issues, it is showing up and they keep using "quality" control as an excuse. It is evident the cars we rushed to market. I'll take a bet that there will be plenty of fixes and oddities on early cars, that's a fact of rushing production. Even well run lines have issues that get worked out after year one. I worked in manufacturing for a few years and there were always patches made along the way. I find it interesting that I have had a Feb then March delivery date since Dec 10 and could not make a color change since then yet dealers have March production dates and expect them in April. Three months vs one and change. In a way, if I knew I would get the CA rebate for sure I would delay my order for a car build with a more refined production line or even the possibility of the changes that are certain to be offered to later orders in gen1.

EVDRIVER said:
Ready2plugin said:
EVDRIVER said:

Moderator, how is that relevant? Clearly they are having issues, it is showing up and they keep using "quality" control as an excuse. It is evident the cars we rushed to market. I'll take a bet that there will be plenty of fixes and oddities on early cars, that's a fact of rushing production. Even well run lines have issues that get worked out after year one. I worked in manufacturing for a few years and there were always patches made along the way. I find it interesting that I have had a Feb then March delivery date since Dec 10 and could not make a color change since then yet dealers have March production dates and expect them in April. Three months vs one and change. In a way, if I knew I would get the CA rebate for sure I would delay my order for a car build with a more refined production line or even the possibility of the changes that are certain to be offered to later orders in gen1.

It is relevant because if someone has the control of what is posted here, it is my opinion, and yes it's only my option, that you should not make statements that have no basis in fact. Also, isn't that gap in timing more have to do with Japan getting the majority of the current build with a mass of cars coming to the US shortly after? With your statements here, I would be surprised if you took delivery, or if you did, kept the car for very long.

turbo2ltr said:
garygid said:
This is a picture of the INSIDE, right?

What is missing from the Passenger side, the jagged black "mask" on the outside, or the curl (bead) on the inside?

Yes, its of the inside. And yes, the bead of sealant, not the "mask".

I should take a better pic.

Take a picture of the other side too for comparison.

From what I see - it doesn't look bad. I'd be careful about trying to "fix" it and end up making it look bad. Have others noticed it, or is it just something you see?

I have this spot on the front of one of my cars where a stone hit it. To me it looks like a meteorite impacted the car - but no one else seems to have ever noticed.

Show it to the dealer if you stop in and ask them to document it in case you have issues post warranty, etc.

EVDRIVER said:
Clearly they are having issues, it is showing up and they keep using "quality" control as an excuse. It is evident the cars we rushed to market.
It's clear to me that's your opinion and nothing more.
EVDRIVER said:
I'll take a bet that there will be plenty of fixes and oddities on early cars, that's a fact of rushing production. Even well run lines have issues that get worked out after year one. I worked in manufacturing for a few years and there were always patches made along the way.
So is it clear that any supposed issues they are having are above and beyond normal new vehicle launch issues? In my opinion - no.

drees said:
EVDRIVER said:
Clearly they are having issues, it is showing up and they keep using "quality" control as an excuse. It is evident the cars we rushed to market.
It's clear to me that's your opinion and nothing more.
EVDRIVER said:
I'll take a bet that there will be plenty of fixes and oddities on early cars, that's a fact of rushing production. Even well run lines have issues that get worked out after year one. I worked in manufacturing for a few years and there were always patches made along the way.
So is it clear that any supposed issues they are having are above and beyond normal new vehicle launch issues? In my opinion - no.

I never said that all new vehicles do not have some issues. The issues are reported facts not opinions. Please don't say Nissan did not rush to get cars here in Dec, they set the delivery start point based on a Dec target not when they were ready to go into full production. There was a market push.

I was confused because the topic title said "sealant outside" ... not inside.

Then, the thread went off topic into a discussion of Manufacturing Defects here instead of starting a new, properly-titled thread. Yes, seems to happen a lot. (No, do not discuss this here).

As it says, it's outside of the A-pillar, not outside of the car. I'll add "cover" to the title.

I looked at it more closely yesterday. The sealant is actually only attached to the a-pillar cover, not the window. I can only think that there was some rattle there. If you tap the A-pillar cover there it definitely sounds like it could be a source of a rattle. I tried (not very hard) to pull off the a-pillar cover, but seeing the SRS emblem, I didn't try too hard.. I'm just going to leave it.

If thats windscreen sealer looks like there could be a foam strip missing (runs top to bottom on the actual sceen) when the winscreen was installed which they use as a dam to stop sealer ouse

Back