cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Re: MNL vs. other Leaf social media

Today, I came across an interesting character in a Bolt group. He was asking some question and said he deleted his other post due to "troll" comments. :roll: Another guy said that that guy already asked the question 5 times and didn't like the answer.

He also used the wrong units "4 miles per Kw". When pointed out that it should be miles per kWh, reacts with a laugh then closes the thread for comments. Looking at that weirdo's old posts in that group, he's all over the place. He sometimes uses the right units for power vs. energy and other times he doesn't. Other times, he includes a pic of his instrument cluster that even says n.nn miles/kWh. Sigh...

'22 Niro EV
'19 Bolt Premier (bought back by GM)
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (former)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.
cwerdna

Here's another example of idiocy. At https://www.facebook.com/groups/NissanL ... 466832999/. This person wrote:
I'm helping my daughter buy her first car. She found a 2012 Nissan Leaf that's really nice. 72,200 miles and well taken care of. But I know nothing about these cars! According to Google the battery only lasts 8-10 years. Should we be concerned? The only thing we have found wrong with the car is the small charger port on the right doesn't work. The larger one on the left works fine. Help?? Advice??
Virtually everyone told her to stay away esp. since it can't be charged via J1772. I don't think she ever answered our questions about battery condition, attached pic of capacity bars nor answered what their driving needs are. She buys it anyway!

She knows nothing about the cars yet the charging prob could be anywhere from a blown diode to something else wrong w/the OBC or something else wrong w/the car.

I've also come across at least 2 or 3 morons on Bolt FB groups who call the Leaf a compliance car. :roll: Of course, the best selling EV in the world before the Model 3 == compliance car. :roll: And, Leaf cumulative sales are over triple that of Bolt and the Leaf actually is available in LHD and RHD countries whereas the Bolt was never even mirrored (for countries that drive no the left side of the road), no longer sold in Europe (since GM got rid of their European group) and sold in FAR fewer countries than Leaf.

'22 Niro EV

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.
LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Language has gotten even more lose than it used to be. By "compliance car" some people just mean that Nissan builds them to get EV credits - no other reason. And that has been true in some years, I think. But it wasn't true when they designed and built the Leaf, and it isn't true now. Maybe it was true in 2014. ;)

As for the poor clueless Facebook People, maybe you should just assume that they are kids playing a prank. on the earnest EV owners...
Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.
cwerdna

LeftieBiker wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:50 pm Language has gotten even more lose than it used to be. By "compliance car" some people just mean that Nissan builds them to get EV credits - no other reason. And that has been true in some years, I think. But it wasn't true when they designed and built the Leaf, and it isn't true now. Maybe it was true in 2014. ;)

As for the poor clueless Facebook People, maybe you should just assume that they are kids playing a prank. on the earnest EV owners...
One of the most recent Bolt idiots claiming Leaf being a compliance car gave goofy reasons (e.g. no CCS and no battery thermal management). Uh...nope. I asked, where was the Bolt between 2010 and end of 2016? Since I'm in California, we get all the compliance EVs and PHEVs here.

Actually, now that you mention 2014, from https://insideevs.com/news/344007/month ... al-charts/, Leaf was the best selling EV in the US that year. I did point that guy to those sales stats.

'22 Niro EV

LeftieBiker

I mentioned 2014 because that was the year that Nissan dropped both the 80% charge option and the ability to get both the Charge and Premium Packages at once. (That came back when the Charge Package became standard, IIRC.) It looked for a minute there like Nissan was backing away from the Leaf.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.
cwerdna

Here's one: at https://twitter.com/LeoOConnorJr/status ... 27937?s=20, this guy asks Electrify America:
Leo O'Connor Jr
@LeoOConnorJr
@ElectrifyAm you thought about adding some 20kW AC chargers at your sites so PHEVs can get a charge as fast as they are able?
10:30 AM · Apr 20, 2022·Twitter for iPhone
Ummm... which US market consumer PHEVs have OBCs above 8 kW let alone anywhere near 20 kW? I guess this guy is clueless about OBCs and max vehicle acceptance rates over J1772.

'22 Niro EV

LeftieBiker

Maybe it's one of those Italian Exotic PHEVs.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

cwerdna wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:55 pm One of the most recent Bolt idiots claiming Leaf being a compliance car
I don't think it is too difficult to ID a compliance EV, and and the sales volume is only indirectly related

Start with a given that a manufacturer is unlikely to produce a model in volume that that has a negative margin. If the marginal profit is so because of regulatory capture then it is a compliance car, and sales volume will approximate the limit of the capture.

Said a bit differently, ask yourself if Nissan would be selling LEAF in volume in the USA if they did not have to offset ICE emissions.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought Jan 2017 from N. Cal @ 90% SOH
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
SOL0 7/2022 @ 83% SOH
cwerdna

Another example of several FB idiots was several were arguing that J1772 EVSEs are "chargers" and one was even arguing that the car's on-board charger isn't a charger. They were putting up dictionary definitions of stuff like chargers or components to justify their definitions.

By some of their whacky arguments as to what's needed to charge, the cable itself could be a "charger".

Didn't matter that SAE definitions were presented to them about https://web.archive.org/web/20150604142 ... primer.pdf or at https://insideevs.com/photo/3957372/ele ... explained/.

'22 Niro EV

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”