frontrangeleaf
Delivery Date: 08 Jul 2019

Re: Volkswagen ID.4 CUV

Extreme cold can be a challenge no matter what you drive, the difference here being familiarity with the risk thresholds and options for dealing with them.

I've had a gas line freeze up and strand me before (carried HEET for years as a result. Never needed it again). Had bad gas strand me in an ice storm once, not a pleasant experience. Lost 2 days getting the car fixed, had to drop and drain the tank, flush the fuel system.

None of which is relevant to the EV experience of course. Those kind of temps occur with some frequency in the mountains west of us, which is the reason why we'll keep an ICE car around (paid for) for those kinds of trips for a few more years.
Empty-nesters - NW Denver-Boulder Area

2019 Leaf SL Plus
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
2007 BMW Z4 3.0Si
2012 VW GTI: SOLD
WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

goldbrick wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:55 pm -15° Nightmare - warning to cold weather friends
There are some very valid points:
An EV can take longer on a long trip.
Cold weather makes this far worse.
Sparse infrastructure means that careful planning is needed.

Some important missing points:
Careful planning wasn't done. Why not?
Didn't even include the starting temperature in the plan?
Worse of all, missed the Plan B. What if EA at _________ doesn't work?

goldbrick wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:55 pm I wonder if the problem was with the EA station, the car's electronics or if things just shut down because the battery was too cold.

EA stations in colder places have charged cars without issue.
Automotive electronics is usually good at -40C, and often good to -55C.
Car was been driven, so traction battery is producing heat. Yes, batteries can get too cold, but that's usually the first charge, not the third.

Lots of stuff doesn't add up right.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red (Sold)
2019 eTron Blue
shark
Delivery Date: 06 Mar 2021

Looking at the plug share map there are several l2 available in EU Claire. I am Sure the hotel close to the ea chargers would have let you charge for an hour. Giving you some room to get where you were going or at least warm the car.

Just an idea for next time. You might have had plug share only showing the DC chargers.
danrjones
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019

Some good ID4 updates coming... for those who's cars didn't just get melted or lost in the middle of the ocean (That can't possibly help the long lost Audi Q4 either, if some of those were finally on their way to the USA!)

https://insideevs.com/news/568191/vw-id ... -charging/
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19
cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

"VW Halting EV Production This Week Amid Ukraine Supply Issues
Deliveries of electrical cable harnesses and other components made in Ukraine have stopped, so VW, Audi and Cupra EVs can't be built. "
https://insideevs.com/news/570472/ukrai ... roduction/

Also, the Felicity Ace sank (https://electrek.co/2022/02/28/vw-confi ... ship-fire/) which had some ID.4's on-board.

'22 Niro EV
'19 Bolt Premier (bought back by GM)
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (former)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.
jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Wow! not much interest in the ID.4 I guess.....no posts since March :(
Anyway, I saw a post on InsideEVs https://insideevs.com/news/602432/us-ma ... 37495-usd/ about the ID.4 that kind of got me interested but after checking out the options I'll probably just continue to wait for my Rav4 Prime on order. The article is touting the under $40k price for the base RWD model, actually under $30k if you can take full use of the $7500 tax credit. Of course after further digging to get my one must-have feature(a heated steering wheel) I'd have to basically get the top of the top of the line :x so now it would come to well over $50k pre-tax credit, a figure I was trying to stay under.
As the VW is RWD and no way I'd go back to RWD living in a snowy state, I'd be forced to get the AWD version, which I'd be OK with, but what I'm not OK with is being forced to get not only the AWD version but the PRO version ontop of that, just to get a stinkin' heated steering wheel. I'd also be forced to get a sunroof, which I really don't want for both cost and reduced headroom issues. Otherwise, it looks like a nice vehicle and at least for the base model, which does come pretty well equipped, the price is right. Not sure how liking of the VW brand as of late, with the dieselgate thing and all not to mention the spotty reliability, from what I've read, but the heated steering wheel is pretty much a required feature and I don't like being forced to gets lots of other things I don't care about or just don't want, to get it!
At least Toyota got that right with the Rav4(if I ever get it) the ability to get a somewhat base model and add a relatively inexpensive package to get something my base Leaf S had almost a decade ago, I do like the idea of a heated windshield(on the top line VW) and factory trailer hitch, and then there's the question if VW will even sell the ID.4 in my NON CAFE state, something that lots of other sellers refuse to do but again not Toyota, Toyota just makes it nearly impossible to get............. :(
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a
goldbrick
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806

As you probably know, Toyota crossed 200k EV's recently. Do you have a delivery date yet? It would stink to get your car in the 'window' between when the $7500 starts to drop out and before the new credit is implemented, assuming the bill authorizing it passes.
jjeff

goldbrick wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:03 am As you probably know, Toyota crossed 200k EV's recently. Do you have a delivery date yet? It would stink to get your car in the 'window' between when the $7500 starts to drop out and before the new credit is implemented, assuming the bill authorizing it passes.
No date whatsoever :( It sounds like I'd have until November? for the current $7500 to work and I'm hoping the extension would kick in before then? I agree, it would kind of suck to lose the $3750 difference if I got caught in between but at this point I just want the new vehicle! Then I also worry about the new $7500 as doesn't that require a certain percentage of the battery be made in the US? If so I'm not sure it is with Toyota as I believe they are still made in Japan, unless they got the new Rav4 plant up and running in the US, as they were talking about back when we ordered it.......
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
GE Durastation 30a
SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

I dragged my wife to a VW dealership today to check out the ID.4. We spent quite a bit of time with the sales person before each of us decided to skip the test drive. I'll cancel my reservation today. I'll try to outline the reasons for our about face, but let me preface by saying neither of us have a negative impression overall of the car, it is more a matter of deciding it is not a good fit for us, that the car is not good value, and it lacks features we want.

Positive
Large, functional cargo space. That was reason #1 to consider it in the first place
Cargo rails on roof. I want the option to carry 8 - 10 foot long lumber and conduit.
More than enough towing capacity for my usage

Negative
Economy flavor SUV with $50k price tag (AWD trim, etc)
SUV character. it feels like sitting in a truck. Many like it, we do not.
This is a large vehicle, 'compact SUV' branding aside. That comes with the large cargo area. I think we inadvertently biased ourselves against the car size by getting used to a Bolt these last few weeks. It is a tank of a vehicle. If I was trying to be negative I would say "large, bulky, heavy, clumsy, and low-cost quality."
Plastic ("V-Tech Leatherette") upholstery in all the more expensive trims. Ughh. I wanted cloth, but would have agreed to leather.
No option for ventilated seats
No option for phone control of windows
No heat pump for winter. No pack pre-conditioning

My motivation to consider the car in the first place was 1, an offer to sell our new Bolt at a $3k profit; and 2, a notion that since we downsized to one car for our household, it should be able to do more of our total demands than the Bolt is able. In the end I reverted back to my stance that the Bolt was a better fit for us: the best vehicle for our daily usage, and rentals for the remainder.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought Jan 2017 from N. Cal @ 90% SOH
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
SOL0 7/2022 @ 83% SOH
jjeff

Nice review Sage, even though I've never sat in one, I agree on several things you brought up.
I'm also not a fan of -Vinyl- no matter what they call them. I agree, cloth first and Leather if I had to, but I believe VW has had a long history of using Vinyl seats.
Interesting no ventilated seats, not even on the top trim models, like a heated steering wheel, more and more upper trim cars are starting to come with ventilated seats.
No heat pump! again almost a must IMO, especially for an ALL EV where range could be a real issue, I guess for a PHEV it's less important but it was still a fairly strong selling point on the Toyota Primes for me.
I didn't even know cars had phone controls of windows! is that so you can remotely close them in case of rain? if so, nice idea.
While probably too big for you, I for one will be interested to see what becomes of the VW Buzz. At one point it would have been at the top of my list but as QC'ing and even remote L2 charging is very lacking in my state and in Western ON CA where we like to occasionally go, at least for now I feel a PHEV is the only way to get us down to 1 vehicle. Although I suppose a rental or even switching cars with a friend for our twice/year-long drives might be an option too......we'll see, a EV with a 200+ mile range opens up much more options than our 60(40 when very cold) mile current EVs that are just too constraining to even consider just one vehicle.
GE Durastation 30a

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”