How much can a nissan leaf tow? Feats of towing might!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was planning to tow a trailer with kayaks and bikes to the Maine coast, but... a trial run with a Ferguson land plow in the trailer, total weight about half a ton, reduced mileage to 2.92 miles / kWh from my normal summer average of about 4.5 so there would just be too many stops and too much charging time (plus the state of New Hampshire has massive distances between DCFC which makes it more difficult). Going to take bikes and hope to rent kayaks.....

I am thinking of getting an Airstream Basecamp. 2650 lbs. dry weight, 375# tongue weight. Am I crazy to consider towing this with my 2012 Leaf? :shock: The trailer has electronic brakes to work in tandem with the vehicles braking system, and would be driven at less that highway speeds and not or down up many inclines.

:shock: I sure wouldn't and I often do things other people might not consider Kosher.
For one the tongue weight, with a Leaf I'd prefer it to be more around 100 up to a max of 200# but with a trailer weighing 2650# dry, you'd really want a minimum of 300# tongue weight, to me 375# would be hard on the Leaf and not particularly safe for anything other than moving something around in your flat yard.
Then you have a '12 and assuming the standard battery and a bit of degradation even on the flat going less than highway speeds I'd think you'd be lucky to get 30 miles range, you didn't say how long you expected to tow it.
So while the Leaf might work to move it around offroad I'd think pulling it even on lower speed sideroads might not be the best plan, but thats just me.

Back