Volkswagen ID.4 CUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
goldbrick said:
My favorite story about google is how many employees live in RV's in the parking lot at the GooglePlex since they cannot afford a house locally. At least that's the story I heard from a google employee who moved to Boulder from CA due to housing prices.
Off the top of my head, I hadn't heard that but there was https://www.businessinsider.com/google-employee-lives-in-truck-in-parking-lot-2015-10. I need to watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG0_KiM9Mv8 in its entirety but at 5:30, they talk about Brandon living in the back of his truck and in 2016 was making $175K/year. It's got to be the same guy.

Now that I think about it more, I could believe it for lower paid service workers (e.g. janitors, food service, security) who work at the Googleplex.

That said, in the Bay Area, esp. South Bay, there are a lot of homeless (for lack of a better word) people who live in RVs. The are certain areas where there are stretches of that (e.g. https://www.mv-voice.com/news/2021/12/13/new-survey-finds-hundreds-of-inhabited-rvs-parked-on-mountain-views-city-streets). I've definitely seen it in certain areas like next to Rengstorff Park (https://www.google.com/maps/@37.4022466,-122.0961358,3a,75y,112.01h,73.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szdriJZu-TSeksDDFDhU3Bw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192). AFAIK, many of them do have jobs but can't afford the housing here.

I believe there wasn't such a thing going on over there many years back and you can confirm that if you look at the Street View archives. Try 2011 or earlier. Even in Dec 2013, that wasn't much of that.

I used to work near a VTA (https://www.vta.org/) bus depot between 2004 and 2009 before there was a lot of happening but near the VTA depot were a couple RVs. We believed it was bus drivers living in them and that they'd go back home (much further away) on weekends/their days off.
goldbrick said:
It's been a while but anyone who has been in the tech business a while (ok, decades.... ;) ) remembers times when every company was laying off people and it was hard to find a job. I don't wish that on anyone but until you've been through it, it is easy to forget that good times don't always last forever.
Yes, I remember that. I was in tech during the .com boom then bust. But, some tech companies having been laying off (including mine, which has a small %... my company is partly a tech company). Many other tech companies are slowing down or freezing hiring. Certain sectors like crypto have been hit hard.

I have had some worries and don't expect a boost in compensation this year. It seems like companies are back in the driver's seat again.

Anyway, if we want to talk about Bay Area housing, jobs, salaries, we should probably continue in an off-topic thread.

BTW, back to EVs, we do have a few ID.4s at my work. When I last did an informal count on my work's EV/PHEV registry (for plug sharing), Teslas dominate. We literally have several hundred in our registry. There's at least Rivian truck and I've seen it.

We have quite a variation in what people drive to/from work or have as cars. There was a guy who used to drive a salvage title Hyundai to work. His brother had a very old Accord with over 150K miles that he would drive from Oakland to work (about 50 miles each way) but before COVID, it got stolen from the front of his house. It was the 4th time it'd be stolen and he gave up at that point. Was missing its battery and something else. He didn't know if the car would run if he replaced the 12 volt.

Then, there's a guy w/a used Ferrari, Model 3 (I think he sold that) and Lexus RX (he sold that). Another guy had some McLaren. We have people with very loaded Model S or X. We've got at least one Taycan and e-tron GT (https://www.audiusa.com/us/web/en/models/e-tron/e-tron-gt/2022/overview.html). I know the driver of the latter.

During EA's free EV juice weekend (has been free Friday thru Sunday), as I posted at https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/electrify-america-complimentary-sessions-stations-set-to-free.37983/page-8#post-762238, I saw an ID.4 pull up and ramp up from around 131 kW, seeing him peak at 134 kW and then was still at 120+ kW when I left.

danrjones said:
Well, I finally did it. I placed a pre-order for a 2023 ID4. White Pro Model, Grey and Black interior. No options. Closest dealer promised no add-ons or mark-ups on pre-orders. Delivery says Q4. I still reserve the right to buy something else, IF something else can be found.

All in all, it should be a nice step up though from our 2018 Leaf. I'm loosing two things that I am aware of - I am loosing the heated steering wheel, which is a bummer, and the power seats. I honestly don't care that much about the power seats. I would still like the steering wheel, but I don't see the value in paying another 7k just for that feature.

What we will get is far more capable range, CCS, much faster DC fast charging, newer safety suite, and a cooled battery.

My 2018 leaf will be for sale - if there is anyone around the SoCal/Central High desert who is really, truly interested, let me know. Otherwise I'm going to try a few of the online ones and see the prices they offer.

Dan, I've got a friend who's also leaning towards the ID.4, partly because he (6'3") says he fits in it better than the Ioniq 5 and EV6 I let him sit in & drive, and partly because his wife wants one because a friend has one :roll:

I take it you don't intend to sleep in the back, and don't care about having a flat load floor? I notice that only the Pro S and above comes with the two-position cargo floor, although IDK if you can get it as an option on the Pro. To me, a CUV that doesn't offer a cargo floor level with the base of the folded rear seats is seriously lacking in utility, both for sleeping and for loading long cargo like a bike. When I looked at/test drove a Pro, the lack of that floor cover was very apparent, and unacceptable for me. The three Korean BEVs I've recently driven all came with such two-position floors. Here's what the ID.4 looks like with the floor in the upper position: https://images.app.goo.gl/815XcPJ3MvGTqp6b9

And here's the big step-up without it: https://images.app.goo.gl/oUmMfgC471Le87cR6

I take it you don't intend to sleep in the back, and don't care about having a flat load floor?

Some simple plywood carpentry can make the floor flatter, and provide some storage space underneath as well..... for $7K I will come and do the work!

dmacarthur said:
I take it you don't intend to sleep in the back, and don't care about having a flat load floor?

Some simple plywood carpentry can make the floor flatter, and provide some storage space underneath as well..... for $7K I will come and do the work!

It's the fact that you apparently need simple carpentry to avoid having to spend an extra $5k (that's the price difference I'm seeing on the 2023 Pro/Pro S) to get a piece of equipment that should be standard, or at least optional on the Pro for a hundred or two, that bugs me. I'm about to head down to the local VW dealer to see if you can get the two-position floor as an option on the Pro, because I can't find that info online.

Talked to a sales critter who swore that he'd sold Pros that had the two-position cargo floor. Since I find salescritters almost always ignorant (and unwilling to admit it) if they're not simple liars, I said show me the option list for that and the price, 'cause I can't find it on VW's website. He couldn't but again swore it was true, so I said, okay, the next time you have a Pro in with it, you email me to let me know
and I'll come in and look at it. We'll see if anything comes of that.

I'm planning to rent an ID.4 on Turo once my foot's back to 100%, and the host who has two of them is 95% sure that only his Pro S has it, and said he'd check the Pro for me and make sure when he gets the car back from its current rental.

I notice that the 2023 Pro line (denotes the bigger battery) are supposedly upgraded from 135kW to 170kW max. charge rate, which is nice, but what I care more about is the average rate - will it take significantly less time to charge from 20-80%, something approaching the 15 minutes that the Ioniq 5/EV6 can do? Searching around a bit I found a discussion of ID.4 charge curves with various software versions here:

https://www.vwidtalk.com/threads/2022-pro-s-5-90-charging-curve.7090/

and it doesn't appear that it'll be under 25 minutes or so, if that.

Sorry, don't visit this site as much as I used to.

The floor isn't a huge deal for me, I can get groceries in and out of it just fine, and it wouldn't be big enough for me to sleep in anyway.
Even our Outback is a bit tight for me, as I'm tall. So really the big thing with the ID4 over the Leaf is range to reach day hikes.
But if I have to spend the night, I'll probably still be using my truck, or a tent.

According to a spreadsheet I found, 2023 Pro-S models have started leaving the factory, but Pro models haven't yet. My tracker still says December to January.

danrjones said:
Sorry, don't visit this site as much as I used to.

The floor isn't a huge deal for me, I can get groceries in and out of it just fine, and it wouldn't be big enough for me to sleep in anyway.
Even our Outback is a bit tight for me, as I'm tall. So really the big thing with the ID4 over the Leaf is range to reach day hikes.
But if I have to spend the night, I'll probably still be using my truck, or a tent.

<Snip>

Dan, aside from sleeping my concern with a flat floor is mainly due to often carrying my bike back there, and the ease of loading/unloading it; I agree for groceries it's not an issue, any more than a trunk would be.

I've got a 2022 Pro S reserved for a trip over to the east side on the 14th-16th. It wasn't available earlier so I may be missing the best of the fall color, or have to cancel if the weather changes and there's rain or snow (planning to do a 12k peak, and want to be able to see something from the summit). Assuming it comes off I'll post how it works for sleeping for me, and how much taller would work as well as other impressions, along with range/energy usage.

I'm still seeing lots of complaints re slow/glitchy software:

Popular YouTuber Slams Volkswagen Over ID.4 Software Issues

Once a huge supporter of the ID.4, Guberman now says he's had enough.

https://insideevs.com/features/614048/volkswagen-id4-software-issues/

They need to get this crap fixed.

Yeah I've seen a lot of those posts about S/W issues. In theory the 2023s will come out with 3.2 or whatever the new software is. In theory.

Oh, but I may not get an ID4 anyway. After I posted yesterday, I saw folks in the ID4 (VWIDTalk) forums saying they just saw their orders bumped back. Logged into mine, sure enough, my Nov-Jan delivery time moved back to as late as JUNE 2023. That's 8 month's from now, and there was already a possibility come Jan 2023 the ID4 might get only half the FED tax credit, or even none at all. But an EIGHT month delay! It appears VW is delaying either the Pro model, or all the RWD models -> which mine is both. They also appear to be slotting all the previous 2022 orders in as 2023s, bumping everyone else back. But how could they JUST be figuring out they needed to do this??

And I really need the full tax credit.

I already sold my Leaf. Maybe that was a mistake, maybe it wasn't - hindsight is what it is. I got a fantastic price, and I think used prices have started to drop a bit on the Leaf - I've noticed Carvana starting to lower prices just a tad. But now I'm driving a F150 every day, getting 18 mpg. So that money sits and waits in my bank, and a big chunk of my solar is going unused.

So I'm looking to score an EV, some EV, as soon as I can. Not a Leaf though. That wouldn't be moving forward. My wife said no the the Bolt and Bolt EUV, and to be honest, their charging is kind of last decade in DC speed. Audi Q4s lost their tax credit, lost the RWD model for 2022, and had their priced bumped, and the dealers are asking 10k over sticker. I'm at the point now I really have no idea what to even look for, just drive my f150 I guess. I might put a deposit in on a Blazer - in theory they will be out NEXT summer. But will any GM even qualify in 2023 for the credit, with the battery REQs? No idea. The 2RT trim for the Blazer should be around 48k and 290 miles range. That's a big bump over the 43k for the ID4. But what other options are there? What a difference a year or two makes in prices and choices.

I know its jaded, but I'm actually starting to hope for a recession, so I can march into some of these dealers that have been gouging (Hyundai, Kia, Ford, Audi...) and offer 10k under on cars on their lot.

danrjones said:
Yeah I've seen a lot of those posts about S/W issues. In theory the 2023s will come out with 3.2 or whatever the new software is. In theory.

Oh, but I may not get an ID4 anyway. After I posted yesterday, I saw folks in the ID4 (VWIDTalk) forums saying they just saw their orders bumped back. Logged into mine, sure enough, my Nov-Jan delivery time moved back to as late as JUNE 2023. That's 8 month's from now, and there was already a possibility come Jan 2023 the ID4 might get only half the FED tax credit, or even none at all. But an EIGHT month delay! It appears VW is delaying either the Pro model, or all the RWD models -> which mine is both. They also appear to be slotting all the previous 2022 orders in as 2023s, bumping everyone else back. But how could they JUST be figuring out they needed to do this??

And I really need the full tax credit.

I already sold my Leaf. Maybe that was a mistake, maybe it wasn't - hindsight is what it is. I got a fantastic price, and I think used prices have started to drop a bit on the Leaf - I've noticed Carvana starting to lower prices just a tad. But now I'm driving a F150 every day, getting 18 mpg. So that money sits and waits in my bank, and a big chunk of my solar is going unused.

So I'm looking to score an EV, some EV, as soon as I can. Not a Leaf though. That wouldn't be moving forward. My wife said no the the Bolt and Bolt EUV, and to be honest, their charging is kind of last decade in DC speed. Audi Q4s lost their tax credit, lost the RWD model for 2022, and had their priced bumped, and the dealers are asking 10k over sticker. I'm at the point now I really have no idea what to even look for, just drive my f150 I guess. I might put a deposit in on a Blazer - in theory they will be out NEXT summer. But will any GM even qualify in 2023 for the credit, with the battery REQs? No idea. The 2RT trim for the Blazer should be around 48k and 290 miles range. That's a big bump over the 43k for the ID4. But what other options are there? What a difference a year or two makes in prices and choices.

I know its jaded, but I'm actually starting to hope for a recession, so I can march into some of these dealers that have been gouging (Hyundai, Kia, Ford, Audi...) and offer 10k under on cars on their lot.

Well, you could try and find yourself a Lightning and sell your gas hog, although their backlog's probably greater than VW's. A friend got a Lightning Platinum about 6 weeks ago. He has zero need for a truck, but because its weight puts it in the commercial category and he owns his own business he was able to write the whole $92k off :roll: Not a good example of a subsidy.

I like the (2022) Niro a lot, although as you know it doesn't qualify for the credit, and the only cars it charges faster than are the Bolt/EUV and I guess the LEAF. As I figured would happen, I got spoiled by the Ioniq 5/EV6's charging times. I'll have to see how I feel about the ID.4's.

What's the deal with the ID.4 maybe not qualifying for some or all of the credit? I thought they moved all the 2023 production for us to Tennessee so it would, although I'm not sure if they've got their battery production in North America yet.

I've been looking at lease prices of some of the cars I've been considering, and with high demand plus higher interest rates I can rent a car for two or in some cases three weekends a month on Turo while keeping my Forester around for whatever, and still have it cost less. So, l plan to wait until things cool off, and in the meantime I can rent whichever car is best suited for a particular trip, trying new ones as they appear Since none of the BEVs so far meet all my major requirements that's the best idea anyway. Besides, I'm not enamored of car ownership, and given my occasional usage some kind of subscription service would be a better match anyway. I hope those will start to be available here.

I have given the lightening some thought, but the only ones I can find are standard range, and at 70k plus dealer markup. That's not in the realm of realistic for me. The standard range couldn't do what I want anyway, even the extended range would be difficult when towing out here is Eastern CA w/ mountains. But at that price its a decision I don't have to worry about.

Starting January, for ID4 - and anyone else - final assembly location needs to be north America. But that requirement doesn't GET you anything, rather acts only as a total disqualification if you ever DID qualify for anything. To actually qualify for half the credit you need to have a certain percent of your battery minerals from Free Trade countries. To get the other half, it depends on where the battery components are assembled. The 2023 ID4 uses a SKI (S. Korea) pack, so its possible - hopefully likely - it will qualify for the second half of the tax requirement. But nobody knows where the critical minerals come from - and it could be 99% China. Nobody seems to know. Of course it gets better, starting in 2024, if any of the minerals come from "naughty" countries, you loose the credit. That's my take on the situation.

So maybe, hopefully ID4 will get half. But the full credit? I just don't know. I saw the first window sticker for a 2023, and it lists the part content - well above the threshold required - but that content is the whole vehicle.

For the moment I think I'm stuck waiting for an ID4, and I'll probably throw $100 toward a Blazer. I think the Blazer is expected well before the Equinox. Plus the Blazer, I like the looks. Its got a bit of character, the long range version - not sure how stripped down the base Long range is - starts upper $40s though, so again I really would need the tax credit.

I agree that being in the city, you can use those rental services when you need to go somewhere. We are in a whole different world out here.

danrjones said:
I have given the lightening some thought, but the only ones I can find are standard range, and at 70k plus dealer markup. That's not in the realm of realistic for me. The standard range couldn't do what I want anyway, even the extended range would be difficult when towing out here is Eastern CA w/ mountains. But at that price its a decision I don't have to worry about.

Starting January, for ID4 - and anyone else - final assembly location needs to be north America. But that requirement doesn't GET you anything, rather acts only as a total disqualification if you ever DID qualify for anything. To actually qualify for half the credit you need to have a certain percent of your battery minerals from Free Trade countries. To get the other half, it depends on where the battery components are assembled. The 2023 ID4 uses a SKI (S. Korea) pack, so its possible - hopefully likely - it will qualify for the second half of the tax requirement. But nobody knows where the critical minerals come from - and it could be 99% China. Nobody seems to know. Of course it gets better, starting in 2024, if any of the minerals come from "naughty" countries, you loose the credit. That's my take on the situation.

So maybe, hopefully ID4 will get half. But the full credit? I just don't know. I saw the first window sticker for a 2023, and it lists the part content - well above the threshold required - but that content is the whole vehicle.

For the moment I think I'm stuck waiting for an ID4, and I'll probably throw $100 toward a Blazer. I think the Blazer is expected well before the Equinox. Plus the Blazer, I like the looks. Its got a bit of character, the long range version - not sure how stripped down the base Long range is - starts upper $40s though, so again I really would need the tax credit.

I agree that being in the city, you can use those rental services when you need to go somewhere. We are in a whole different world out here.

They are getting spendy "now" but I saw a standard range for $40 K. But "new" Lightnings just got a HUGE price hike so even that is gone. The one I saw was in "Fleet White" so aimed at commercial customers but still a VERY nice truck.

Thanks!

Here is the important bit from Edmunds:

"And that figure could potentially get even better in the next few weeks. With the new government requirements for EV tax credits, the ID.4 is currently under consideration for a $7,500 tax credit. The details are complicated, but VW is waiting to hear from the government whether or not the car meets all the requirements."

-----

So I went hiking over the weekend to enjoy the fall colors, and this was a very stereotypical trip for me - leave early - around 5:30 from my house, drive straight to the trailhead, hike fast and hard, drive straight home and make dinner (wife was working that day).

Since my wife had the Outback, I drove the F150, and chewed through at least $80 in gas. Right now its $6.09 here / gal.

Using ABRP for that same trip, it would be a royal pain even in the ID4. Leave my house at 90%, arrive at the parking area on Glacier Lodge Rd at 23% (129 miles). But then there are NO chargers in Big Pine, so it then routes me completely the wrong direction NORTH to Bishop on the way home, just so i can charge, and head south home. Definitely not the way I would do it - ideally I'd charge on the way home in Big Pine, but can't. No chargers in Big Pine. So instead, I would like to charge at the the rest stop between Big Pine and Impendence on the way home - oh, but can't do that either, since the Caltrans charger is broken! And then there is nothing going south until Coso Junction, which is too far to reach.

This highlights the real problem still with EVs - the charging networks in rural, remote areas - yes, even in CA - outright SUCKS. The one charger I need, a slow 50 kW Caltrans charger, is broken. And honestly, until we have two redundant chargers at each location, I wouldn't even trust it anyway. AND, the Caltrans station at Coso junction is down, AND users are reporting only one of four of the EA at Coso junction is working. Basically, charging is crap.

So for this trip I did, I'd still be stuck using my f150 today. Even if I had an ID4. Luckily for other hikes, it will work better, but that still shows the issues out here with charging. With going up and down in the mountains, you really need chargers at EVERY city on the East side of the Sierras. With redundancy.

Dan, I've been playing around with ABRP for my upcoming trip in the ID.4 and have similar issues, because ABRP won't allow me to use (and doesn't seem to recognize) the L2 chargers in Gus Hess Park in Lee Vining, so after charging at Yosemite Westgate Lodge in Buck Meadows and driving to Convict Lake, it either tries to route me through the EA FC in Bridgeport (25 miles north of 120) and then via 108 over Sonora rather than 120 over Tioga Pass for the return trip to the Bay Area, or else 38 miles south (and down 3,700') to Bishop to charge before returning north 65 miles to Lee Vining, then west via 120. Since 10/1 reservations are no longer required to drive through Yosemite between 6 a.m. - 4 p.m., so I have no reason to take the first route now (as I did coming back last time), and taking the 2nd route would be a big waste of time (and might push me over my mileage allowance, incurring excess mileage fees as well).

Fortunately I know the L2s are there in Lee Vining. Ending the outbound ABRP trip there and then running another calc from there to Convict Lake and back home, provided an L2's available and I can charge there to at least 75% on the way over while having dinner and hanging out for a bit, ABRP says I can drive to Convict Lake and then return to Buck Meadows with at least a 20% reserve. But the need for more range and more FCs along 395 is obvious - adding Lee Vining, Mammoth Lakes, Big Pine, Lone Pine at a minimum, and sites in Topaz/Coleville/Walker (one of those), June Lake, Independence, Olancha (proper) as nice to haves. And they need to be working, have more than 1 FC per site, and if possible be 150kW or more.

At least 395 is one of California's designated AFV corridors. We'll have to see if they get serious about 395 south of Tahoe in the next few years, or just stick one or two token sites north of it to reach Alturas, pat themselves on the back and announce 'mission accomplished'. It's taken us almost 12 years to get to the point where (non-Tesla) BEVs can at least reach the area and return with some inconvenience, so maybe 5 years from now we'll reach the routine stage, and this in the most AFV-friendly state in the country!

Still, it's better than FCEVs, which are inherently better suited to road-tripping and need far fewer stations to enable them. We only need one H2 station (Lee Vining; you could round trip to Whitney Portal/Horseshoe Mdws. or anywhere north of them from there) to make east side trips practical in an FCEV from the Bay Area/Sacramento, and the same goes for access from LA (Lone Pine: round trip as far as Tioga Pass and depending on the car, even as far north as Twin Lakes). But they're concentrating on adding urban stations first, and nothing useful to us is on the schedule out to at least through 2026! Unless you want to run up and down I-5 in the San Joaquin Valley between NorCal and LA-SD, the latter out to Joshua Tree, or else from the Bay Area/Sacramento up to Tahoe, you can forget weekend-tripping in an FCEV for years yet.

Someone posted this link over in VW ID Talk forums.

It has a lot of detail, and worth a read, if you can get through it.

A couple excerpts, out of order though:
Section 13401(a) of the IRA amends § 30D(b) of the Code to provide a maximum
credit of $7,500 per vehicle, consisting of $3,750 in the case of a vehicle that meets
certain critical minerals requirements and $3,750 in the case of a vehicle that meets
certain battery components requirements.

The amendments made by § 13401(a) of the
IRA are applicable to vehicles placed in service after the date on which the Secretary of
the Treasury or her delegate (Secretary) issues proposed guidance described in new
§ 30D(e)(3)(B) of the Code (proposed battery guidance date) relating to new critical
minerals requirements described in new § 30D(e)(1)(A) and new battery components
requirements described in new § 30D(e)(2)(A). See § 13401(k)(3) of the IRA.

"In the case of a vehicle placed in service after the proposed battery guidance date and before January 1, 2024,
the applicable percentage is 40 percent."

It makes me wonder if the Gov could basically circumvent its rules on battery component origin by simply NOT releasing guidance - or, what happens if guidance doesn't come out until halfway through 2023? Do all EVs manufactured in N America qualify until that guidance is released?

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-22-46.pdf

From what I've read elsewhere GM (and Tesla) would only re-qualify for the tax credit in 2023 after the guidance is issued, so I doubt there'll be any delay.

Sen. Warnock of GA. introduced a bill to push back the effective dates for the various % so more cars would qualify, but that seems unlikely to pass soon if ever; if the Reps. retake control of either or both houses it's definitely dead.

OT:
GRA said:
<Snip>

But the need for more range and more FCs along 395 is obvious - adding Lee Vining, Mammoth Lakes, Big Pine, Lone Pine at a minimum, and sites in Topaz/Coleville/Walker (one of those), June Lake, Independence, Olancha (proper) as nice to haves. And they need to be working, have more than 1 FC per site, and if possible be 150kW or more.

<Snip>

There's a "Coming Soon" site at the Walker Country Store (the address says Coleville) shown on Plugshare, said to be provided by 'EV Range' whoever that is*, to consist of 2 x 180kW CCS/CHAdeMO chargers, opening "Q3 2022". A check in from July 13th says "Won't happen soon. No trace of construction, I asked inside, I was told they are only talking about it at this point", so don't hold your breath, or bet on the accuracy of the station details. Given the traffic volumes (and the existence of the EA site in Bridgeport) either Lee Vining or Lone Pine would be far more valuable.

*https://www.evrange.com/

It appears they have just two sites open, off U.S. 101 in S. San Francisco and Soledad, with four more planned and/or under construction, at NorthStar ski resort in North Tahoe, Carson City, Walker (Coleville), and San Ysidro right on the southern border.

Rented a 2022 ID.4 Pro S on Turo for this past weekend, so here's a short review and comments. Took it on my typical route from the Bay Area through Yosemite and over Tioga Pass to Lee Vining, then down the east side to attempt a peak. Unfortunately, picked up a nail somewhere and had a slow leak. As I didn't want to get stranded several miles up a dirt road at a trailhead with likely no cell service, I bailed on the climb and wound up coming home early, monitoring tire pressures and adding air as needed. Still, I was able to get the data for range/energy (subject to possibly being worse than average due to low tire pressure) and charging I wanted, as well as experiencing other features.

Short version, I like the way the car handles and rides, accel is perfectly adequate if lower than the other BEVs I've driven, good for sleeping in and carrying cargo generally, charging is middle of the pack, vis is not great but acceptable . . . but I hate the controls with a passion, and that's enough to get a violent thumbs down from me for that reason alone. Even the Ioniq 5, which shares the ID.4's "let's put as much on the touchscreen as possible" philosophy, isn't this awful.

Headed to bed, so if anyone wants more detail I can provide it tomorrow or later.

Well I've got my local air district rebate voucher in my hands, now i just have to actually find an EV. Who would have thought finding something would be so hard? The voucher expires in 6 months too, giving me little time to find something that also qualifies for the FED tax credit. Especially something we like.

I think the one thing that did work for me is when I sold my leaf, I've heard caravana is paying a lot less for things now.

My ID4 reservation is seemingly going no where, I'm hearing people are starting to get their Pro S AWDs but the RWD aren't moving at all. My reservation tracker is still on "reserved" with no movement, and saying June 2023. Which would be too late.

Back