The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I traded in my 2017 Leaf on a 2022 S+ in March, which I was lucky to get. I do like the Leaf and its new safety features and especially the longer range. My 2017 had just lost one bar one when I traded it in. The one thing that I really dislike about the Leaf is its battery degradation. I don't think that the lack of cooling is that big a problem for me, but the battery deteriorates even when not driving it or charging it in cool weather. Mine started out at 99.61% SOH and is now down to 97.39% in just over 3 months. By the way, the car was built in February of 2022. It is my impression the the battery in the Bolt is much better than the Leaf's in terms of battery degradation.

Since I don't plan on using the car for many long trips, as long as the SOH stays above 60%, the range will be fine for us.

bmw said:
Mine started out at 99.61% SOH and is now down to 97.39% in just over 3 months. By the way, the car was built in February of 2022.
Fairly typical. Mine started at 99.2% and had dropped to 96.7% after 3 months. After 9 months it was down to 91.9%.

Since then the rate of decline has dropped sharply, and my last quarterly adjustment was actually an increase of about 1% in SOH.

I'm not sure exactly how this compares with other EVs - maybe they are similar but their owners don't have the same visibility we have with LeafSpy.

oxothuk said:
bmw said:
Mine started out at 99.61% SOH and is now down to 97.39% in just over 3 months. By the way, the car was built in February of 2022.
Fairly typical. Mine started at 99.2% and had dropped to 96.7% after 3 months. After 9 months it was down to 91.9%.

Since then the rate of decline has dropped sharply, and my last quarterly adjustment was actually an increase of about 1% in SOH.

I'm not sure exactly how this compares with other EVs - maybe they are similar but their owners don't have the same visibility we have with LeafSpy.

This seems to be fairly common in EV's. Can't find the source, but even Tesla's drop ~5% in their first year, and then the degradation slows down afterwards. Not sure if it has anything to do with forming the intercalation layer between the electrolyte and the cathode of all li-ion battery cells?

Every Telsa owner I know in person (not his board) has told me they have seen a 5-10% rated range reduction in the first couple years. The higher your starting range, the less you care about that top 10% of perceived range.

My S+ has seen 3 positive movements, one flat and 3 down...the next one is just 2 weeks away. 92.93% SoH

My SV+ has seen 9 down, 1 flat and 2 up. 89.93% SoH

Both 2019 Pluses. The daily changes are almost synchronized between the cars which leads me to believe they are algorithmic. The quarterly true ups are the diagnostic check I also guess.

The gom seems to max range around 6 miles/kWh and does seem to be impacted by outside temp algorithm wise.

I got my Leaf about a month ago. It's a 2013 Japanese one (the British-built ones came in a bit later). I'd be interested in hearing from other UK Leaf owners, about their experiences of charging away from home. I see that Instavolt now allow charging with just a contactless card, but I'm not optimistic about charging at places that require a subscription, as I'm not that savvy with smartphones.

The car is sat on the drive and is recording an outside temperature of 32 C. The range has dropped by ten miles, from 57 to 47 miles on a recent 80% charge (nine SOH battery bars showing). I get the impression that Leaf batteries don't like getting hot.

Iboughtanoldone said:
I got my Leaf about a month ago. It's a 2013 Japanese one (the British-built ones came in a bit later). I'd be interested in hearing from other UK Leaf owners, about their experiences of charging away from home. I see that Instavolt now allow charging with just a contactless card, but I'm not optimistic about charging at places that require a subscription, as I'm not that savvy with smartphones.

The car is sat on the drive and is recording an outside temperature of 32 C. The range has dropped by ten miles, from 57 to 47 miles on a recent 80% charge (nine SOH battery bars showing). I get the impression that Leaf batteries don't like getting hot.

If you ever find yourself needing to increase range on your 2013, check out dala's postings on https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=27600&start=600

A number of posters have made a cottage industry out of swapping in newer 40kwh packs into the older Leaf, giving them an upgrade and extending their usable life.

Was happy to get a Leaf 2012 SL for our son recently. Bought in end of May in NY, 8 bars at time of purchase. he works in town, so typically will only need 20 miles or so a day range. I see what everyone says about the GOM, he drives a mile and it drops 5..
Just lost another bar (down to 7 now), but still seeing about a 47mile range at 80% or so.
I told him to only got to 80% whenever possible, hopefully that'll help us get a few yrs out of the car. We were lucky to get a decent deal, so if it gets us a few yrs maybe there will be more options to refresh by then (optimistic..)
Loving the smooth ride and different feel of the EV so far. curious how the cold winter coming will affect his range.

We took delivery of a 2023 SV Plus. It seems the dealer wanted our 2018 badly enough to make us a reasonable deal.

We had drifted through several car dealers looking over their EVs. We liked the Leaf better than the competition even though some of them have greater range. There's more to a car than how far it will go.

Could you get us a Leafspy reading of the battery capacity on the 23? (kWh, gids, Ahr).

I am curious how much the efficiency offsets the smaller battery pack. The wltp rating went up.and the epa down.

Just picked up a new 2023 Leaf S. Our FIRST EV and it has been a great experience thus far. Looking forward to a long journey with the EV community.. now that we have joined the "far side" ;-)

Dukeati said:
Just picked up a new 2023 Leaf S. Our FIRST EV and it has been a great experience thus far. Looking forward to a long journey with the EV community.. now that we have joined the "far side" ;-)

Update:
Just had the 240v outlet installed today. . .curious to see how long it will take from 25% to 90%.. will set the timer for 5 hours tonight and see if i achieve my target. This is cool stuff!

Goal is to re-charge everytime it gets down to 25% back up to 90%.

Dukeati said:
Dukeati said:

Update:
Just had the 240v outlet installed today. . .curious to see how long it will take from 25% to 90%.. will set the timer for 5 hours tonight and see if i achieve my target. This is cool stuff!

Goal is to re-charge everytime it gets down to 25% back up to 90%.

Do you know the current (amps) rating of your outlet? Level 2 EVSE's (aka EV Charger) have multiple speeds, 16A (~3.3kw) is one of them. Such a charger would NOT charge your car to 90% within 5 hrs. But this is pretty uncommon. The more common 24A (~6kw) EVSE should do it, unless you got the bigger 60kwh battery pack? With that pack, you'd need ~6.5hrs for the 25-90% charge.

Took delivery of a new 2023 LEAF SV Plus on Saturday.
We had a used 2013 previously which we sold the prior week. (So the new one is our second EV).

Purchased a 2023 S last Friday after thinking about purchasing a Leaf for probably over the last 7 years. Started out as an idea for a lower cost used car for my daughter to drive to and from school, but she was able to get a “hand me down” car from her grandparents - I couldn’t beat that deal.

I do have a number of questions most that I tried to find an answer for in the Owner’s Manual without success. 1) it looks like there is no longer a free version of LeafSpy and there have been no updates to the Plus version for a good while. What are the benefits of having it? 2) I cannot figure out how to get a value on the Estimated Charge time screen. I can change the “source” to the appropriate charging “speed” and the currently remaining charge shows, but all the estimates just show dashes. 3) I can’t seem to figure out how to get Siri to work for Apple play by pressing a button on the steering wheel. When I press the “speak” icon is goes into standard voice recognition mode even though CarPlay is active. 4) Is there a way too see the tire pressures? All I can find is a units setting (psi).

Thanks for helping out a new EV owner.

VAbreeze said:
Purchased a 2023 S last Friday after thinking about purchasing a Leaf for probably over the last 7 years. Started out as an idea for a lower cost used car for my daughter to drive to and from school, but she was able to get a “hand me down” car from her grandparents - I couldn’t beat that deal.

I do have a number of questions most that I tried to find an answer for in the Owner’s Manual without success. 1) it looks like there is no longer a free version of LeafSpy and there have been no updates to the Plus version for a good while. What are the benefits of having it? 2) I cannot figure out how to get a value on the Estimated Charge time screen. I can change the “source” to the appropriate charging “speed” and the currently remaining charge shows, but all the estimates just show dashes. 3) I can’t seem to figure out how to get Siri to work for Apple play by pressing a button on the steering wheel. When I press the “speak” icon is goes into standard voice recognition mode even though CarPlay is active. 4) Is there a way too see the tire pressures? All I can find is a units setting (psi).

Thanks for helping out a new EV owner.

Can't help you with the other questions. But in regards to LeafSpy Plus, it might not be useful anymore; unless you want to geek out on little details like how balanced your battery pack cells are, or how much energy you're consuming between the motor and AC while driving, or maybe a detailed tally about how much energy you've used on your last trip. You can also get a percentage value of the state-of-health of your battery pack through LeafSpy. There's a ton of very detailed info, but it may not be relevant nowadays, especially since with the larger pack, and the cooler climate that you're in, the degradation of the battery pack isn't severe enough to trigger a warranty claim.

Hope this helps!

Edit: Oh, as for the tire pressure, if it's anything like the older Leaf's, then you just have to press the "square" button to cycle through the dashboard display until something with tire pressure shows up. But those values usually take about 1/4 mile of driving for the TPMS to actually report a value.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Can't help you with the other questions. But in regards to LeafSpy Plus, it might not be useful anymore; unless you want to geek out on little details like how balanced your battery pack cells are, or how much energy you're consuming between the motor and AC while driving, or maybe a detailed tally about how much energy you've used on your last trip. You can also get a percentage value of the state-of-health of your battery pack through LeafSpy. There's a ton of very detailed info, but it may not be relevant nowadays, especially since with the larger pack, and the cooler climate that you're in, the degradation of the battery pack isn't severe enough to trigger a warranty claim.

Hope this helps!

Edit: Oh, as for the tire pressure, if it's anything like the older Leaf's, then you just have to press the "square" button to cycle through the dashboard display until something with tire pressure shows up. But those values usually take about 1/4 mile of driving for the TPMS to actually report a value.
Thanks for the reply. I guess it does come down to curiosity and wanting to geek out. I did use the Lite/free version when I first started looking for a used Leaf. It is too bad that someone didn’t create a more modern version, but obviously the Leaf will be discontinued soon.

I was able to get to the tire pressures. Sort of surprised you have to check them while moving. Seems to be counter to all the safety technology that is in the vehicle.

Back