2015 Leaf won't charge - help to diagnose?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluesriffs

Hi everybody,
I am new to the forum here, and have been digging around what's been documented about Leafs that won't charge. I am looking at buying a used 2015 (not CHadeMO equipped, type 1 or 2 only) that currently won't charge, and I'm wondering if anyone has any input to help understand what's going on. Here are the details:

-Car turns on and displays battery health but no current guess range or battery status - main battery is nearly completely dead
-12V battery recently replaced with new in attempt to solve the problem
-When charger is plugged in there is one beep, a slight pause, and two more beeps. Light #1 (left side when facing the car standing in front of it) flashes.
-Trickle charger shows solid green status light, and orange charge light comes on temporarily, then in a short time shuts off. Flashing blue light on the leaf also shuts off.
-The 12V battery seems to drain if the car sits.

I've checked to verify no timers are on, and multiple different 120V chargers have been tried. I've been looking through the forums and reading everything I can. I will check for the "diode problem" with a multimeter, but so far it seems that is mostly a problem specific 2011s and 2012s.

In the end, perhaps the OBC is just shot and it needs to get towed to the dealer, but I thought I'd check in here first. Does any of this match an experience any of you have had? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

This might be a really silly question, but have you left the EVSE plugged in to the car for an extended period of time?

When the battery on my (2014) Leaf is low, only the first (left from the front) light flashes during initial charging. As the charge builds the left light stays on and then the middle light flashes. Eventually the left and middle lights are on and the right light flashes.

I don't really know the audible beep pattern off the top of my head, but there are definitely multiple beeps and boops when the EVSE is plugged in.

bluesriffs said:
In the end, perhaps the OBC is just shot and it needs to get towed to the dealer, but I thought I'd check in here first. Does any of this match an experience any of you have had? Any thoughts?
No...and it may not even be the OBC (the fault could be in the battery pack since you do get a few seconds of charge).
I wouldn't touch this car with a 10-foot pole; even the diagnosis could be expensive.

Back