LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: Colorado Electric Vehicle Fast-Charging Corridors

I charged at one of the above with my Vectrix a few years ago. I had to use the GFCI 5-20, though, even though I had a TT-30 adapter, as the TT-30 was not working.
Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.
voltamps
Delivery Date: 14 Dec 2020

salyavin wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:30 am
voltamps wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:29 am Cool thread! Thanks.
I'm planning a trip to Ouray, Telluride, Durango, etc. in September 2022. Got a '22 Leaf SV+, 216 mile range, 185 highway range.
I have done this very trip in a 2019 SV+ even before the Durango fast charger was online. I camped outside of Durango and used an RV plug to be full every day. I rode the train in Durango and used l2 there. In Telluride when I spent a day around there I parked in the gondola garage at an l2 charger. I was mildly bummed that the l2 at the Ouray hot spring pool was down but I really didn't need it, now it is a (expensive) fast charger if you need it. I liked the Box canyon falls there. I have been back through Durango and used the fast charger. Really it is not so bad the chargepionts are very reliable in my experience driving my plus. The old days of adventure driving as I believe my wife called it are not much of a thing these days within Colorado. EA is where I find CHAdeMO is down more than I like. You'll be fine.

Also Great Sand Dunes is easier to do these days, Dinosaur is fine, Black Canyon is fine most tourist spots inside Colorado are reachable by a Plus. I am coming from South Denver Metro.

Regarding Horatio, tourist areas are not like that in Colorado, some trips to the north are though. It used to be much more umm adventurous even 5 years ago also remember cars have been getting more range in addition to gradually improving charge infrastructure.
About the Dinosaur National Monument area you mentioned, I was up there 4 years ago and the fed park employees had an FFE (Ford Focus Electric) as a company car, same as the one I owned back then. They loved it. We talked about how well it handled (sports car really), and they said they were going to try to fit a trailer hitch to it for a small 1,000 lb capacity utility trailer on their paved roads there.

South metro Denver here too.
One day I'll take a long trip in the Leaf, when I need to carry less gear maybe. I skipped the 'almost-Horatio' ;) type experience for now. When Colorado finally gets a bunch of SMR nukes for electricity, instead of the dirty electrons we have now, I'll have no excuse to leave the Leaf at home for the long trips.

Before the Ouray-Telluride-GlenwoodSprings trip I just took (never got to Durango), I posted this:
"I think I can get 43 MPG in the Maverick Hybrid on the trip, so I calculate I would burn an extra 4 gallons of gasoline on the 800 mile trip over the Leaf's "equivalent" MPG of 55.
Summary: Leaf SV+ would burn 15 gallons of gasoline-equivalent,
and Maverick Hybrid burns 19 gallons of gasoline on the trip.
"

I actually got 44 MPG in the Maverick Hybrid, so it was a little better than the 43 MPG guess, at least a bit closer to what the Leaf SV+ (55 MPG) would get in MPG-equivalent, in our dirty-electricity Colorado. 787 miles on the trip.

One difference between running a Leaf SV+ (62 kWH) vs. Maverick Hybrid (1.1 kWH tiny), is that going down mountains the Leaf will soak up most of all that "weight*height" potential energy, where the Maverick filled it's 1.1 kWH battery up fast and had to resort to old fashioned engine braking with brake pads added in to keep speeds from climbing into crazy high amounts. Later they might come up with a 14.4 kWH PHEV Maverick (like the Escape it's based on), meaning regen is more meaningful in the mountains.

The Maverick Hybrid with a tonneau bed cover carried all our gear & luggage nicely. The Leaf would have needed a ski rack on top with a Thule on the roof, probably cutting it's range even further (guessing 185 highway miles down to 170 with a Thule on top, aero drag, weight).
2022 Leaf SV+
2020 Leaf SV - sold
2022 Maverick Hybrid
2016 Ford Focus Electric (traded in at 34k miles, 5 years)
& Some really junky gasoline vehicles, not green, except for a Ford C-Max Hybrid, nice one.
SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

voltamps wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:49 pm Later they might come up with a 14.4 kWH PHEV Maverick (like the Escape it's based on), meaning regen is more meaningful in the mountains.
That would be real progress in the truck market.

I would probably want 30 kWh with an ICE, or 60 kWh straight EV. I wonder which is cheaper to build. As a past owner of a PHEV, I do not want to go back to daily driving where the ICE comes on daily. That is a lousy ownership experience. The irony of PHEV ownership is that the shorter the ICE-on interval, the more annoying.
Last edited by SageBrush on Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought Jan 2017 from N. Cal @ 90% SOH
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
SOL0 7/2022 @ 83% SOH
goldbrick
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806

I love charging my Rav4 Prime on the long down-hills in CO. It has a 14kWh battery so no problem with over-filling it and after 5 years of driving a 30kWh Leaf it's easy to make sure I always have plenty of room for those electrons.
GRA

EV Fast-Charging Corridors

September 2022 Update

Developed in partnership with ChargePoint and site hosts, such as local governments, utilities and private companies, the Colorado Energy Office (CEO) fast-charging electric vehicle corridors project comprises high-speed charging stations to be installed at 34 locations across the state.

Sites Open Now
Dinosaur Welcome Center: 101 Stegosaurus Fwy, Dinosaur, CO 81610
Craig Kum & Go: 700 E. Victory Way, Craig, CO 81625
Steamboat Springs Kum & Go: 80 Anglers Drive, Steamboat Springs, CO 80477
Granby Kum & Go: 308 W. Agate Avenue, Granby, CO 80446
Estes Park Visitor Center: 500 Big Thompson Ave, Estes Park, CO 80517
Pagosa Springs Centennial Park: San Juan River Walk, Pagosa Springs, CO 81147
Montrose City Parking Lot: 533 N. 1st Street, Montrose, CO 81401
Rifle Kum & Go: 705 Taugenbaugh Blvd, Rifle, CO 81650
Vail Lionshead Parking: 395 S Frontage Rd W, Vail, CO 81657
Fairplay Town Hall: 901 9th St, Fairplay, CO 80440
Salida Two Rivers Development: 1 Old Stage Rd., Salida, CO, 81201
Purgatory Ski Resort: 1 Skier Pl, Durango, CO 81301
Durango City Parking: 250 W 8th St, Durango, CO 81301
Alamosa Visitor Center: 610 State Ave, Alamosa, CO 81101
Wellington Kum & Go: 8150 6th St, Wellington, CO 80549
La Junta Village Inn: 5 Walmart Way, La Junta, CO 81050
Wheat Ridge Target: 5071 Kipling Street, Wheat Ridge, CO 80033
Conifer: 27181 Main Street, Conifer, CO
Brighton: 15200 E 120TH Ave., Commerce City, CO
Boulder: 1500 Pearl St., Boulder, CO
Pueblo: 3522 N Elizabeth St, Pueblo, CO
Georgetown: 1120 Argentine St., Georgetown, CO
Limon: 250 E Main St, Limon, CO 80828
Westminster: 7382 Federal Blvd, Westminster, CO 80030
Ouray: 1230 Main Street, Ouray, CO 81427
Greeley: 4318 Centerplace Dr, Greeley, CO 80631
Sites Opening this Summer
Canon City: 403 Royal Gorge Blvd, Canon City, CO 81212
Dacono: 127 Laura Way, Dacono, CO 80514

https://energyoffice.colorado.gov/zero- ... -corridors
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”