rlmalisz
Delivery Date: 26 May 2021
Leaf Number: 550759

Does a salvage title void a LEAF's traction battery warranty?

I believe the answer is "yes". There's a 2017 SL wth 30kwh battery, 49K miles, 10 bars locally. The seller is asking $11K, say the damage was rear end collision requiring a fair amount of rear end body work. If the battery warranty would still hold, I'd seriously consider this beast...once I can slap LeafSpy on it and see where it is in that 10th bar, it might be fair game for a replacement battery in the next three years. But if the battery is an orphan, it's not worth it to me.

I asked this question in a FB group and got the "no" answer, but know there's a lot more expertise and experience here. Should I bug the guy for the VIN and run it by Nissan?

--Richard
Stanton
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Re: Does a salvage title void a LEAF's traction battery warranty?

rlmalisz wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:06 am I believe the answer is "yes". There's a 2017 SL wth 30kwh battery, 49K miles, 10 bars locally. The seller is asking $11K, say the damage was rear end collision requiring a fair amount of rear end body work. If the battery warranty would still hold, I'd seriously consider this beast...once I can slap LeafSpy on it and see where it is in that 10th bar, it might be fair game for a replacement battery in the next three years. But if the battery is an orphan, it's not worth it to me.
Don't take this the wrong way, but who cares if it voids the battery pack warranty? As long as you can get a "reading" on it (e.g. LeafSpy), you know what you've got (right down to the cells). Assuming you want to replace your pack (like I did--with a salvage pack), you are going to void even more of your warranty when you install the (required) CAN-bridge.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/OVMS
12v LiFePO4 battery
FIAMM 74100 horns/Wet Okole seat covers/Tor's heater mod/Dala's CAN-bridge
Lizard Pack (Rev E) installed @51 months/41k miles
40 kWh Pack (Gen2) installed @115 months/84k miles
DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

Yes because a warranty ONLY applies to the vehicle and its components. No vehicle, no warranty
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 37,001 mi, 90.19% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

It would void it. Search https://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/N ... ooklet.pdf for salvage.

'22 Niro EV
'19 Bolt Premier (bought back by GM)
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (former)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.
LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Stanton wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:50 am
rlmalisz wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:06 am I believe the answer is "yes". There's a 2017 SL wth 30kwh battery, 49K miles, 10 bars locally. The seller is asking $11K, say the damage was rear end collision requiring a fair amount of rear end body work. If the battery warranty would still hold, I'd seriously consider this beast...once I can slap LeafSpy on it and see where it is in that 10th bar, it might be fair game for a replacement battery in the next three years. But if the battery is an orphan, it's not worth it to me.
Don't take this the wrong way, but who cares if it voids the battery pack warranty? As long as you can get a "reading" on it (e.g. LeafSpy), you know what you've got (right down to the cells). Assuming you want to replace your pack (like I did--with a salvage pack), you are going to void even more of your warranty when you install the (required) CAN-bridge.
The OP was asking if Nissan would replace that pack under warranty when it dropped to eight bars.
Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.
Stanton
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

LeftieBiker wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:36 am
Stanton wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:50 am
The OP was asking if Nissan would replace that pack under warranty when it dropped to eight bars.
And to that I would answer: I wouldn't waste time/money "upgrading" to a 30 kWh pack. I wouldn't bother for anything less than a 40 kWh pack...which (based on anecdotal data) may very well outlast it's warranty period.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/OVMS
12v LiFePO4 battery
FIAMM 74100 horns/Wet Okole seat covers/Tor's heater mod/Dala's CAN-bridge
Lizard Pack (Rev E) installed @51 months/41k miles
40 kWh Pack (Gen2) installed @115 months/84k miles
LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

And to that I would answer: I wouldn't waste time/money "upgrading" to a 30 kWh pack. I wouldn't bother for anything less than a 40 kWh pack...which (based on anecdotal data) may very well outlast it's warranty period.
30kwh packs that fail under warranty are now replaced with 40kwh packs.
Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.
GaleHawkins
Delivery Date: 15 Oct 2019
Leaf Number: 311365

I asked this question in a FB group and got the "no" answer, but know there's a lot more expertise and experience here. Should I bug the guy for the VIN and run it by Nissan?

--Richard
Call the National Leaf Representative hotline. Thankfully we got our 40 kWh battery Feb 2020 at 25K miles 8 months before it got totalled. After 15K miles on it SOH is at 94.96% when I reconnected the 12v negative battery cable long enough to pull a new SOH reading with LSP today.

Our 2016 Leaf SL dropped the 4th bar 5 weeks after we bought it. Try to have the VIN before calling a National Leaf Rep so she can tell you if the required BMS update has been done.

Hope it works out that you. If you can buy a new 40 kWh Leaf for $20K after rebate it would be less stressful I expect. I haven't heard of any 40 kWh packs triggering a warranty claim.
GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

The warranty terms in the owner manuals for all three of my LEAFs (2011, 2015, and 2019) clearly state that all warranties are void if vehicle is ever issued a salvage title or declared a total loss by insurance. Here is the language from the 2019 Warranty Information Booklet:

SALVAGE TITLE
This limited warranty does not apply to any
vehicle, and is rendered void if the vehicle
is (or ever has been) issued a “salvage” or
similar title under any state’s law; or has
ever been determined to be a “total loss”
or equivalent by any insurance company,
such as by payment of a cash payment
of claim in lieu of repairs because of a
determination that the cost of repairs
exceeded the actual cash value of the
vehicle.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015; traded 8/10/2019 at 82,436 miles
White LEAF 2019 SL Plus purchased 8/10/2019
GaleHawkins
Delivery Date: 15 Oct 2019
Leaf Number: 311365

GerryAZ wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:10 pm The warranty terms in the owner manuals for all three of my LEAFs (2011, 2015, and 2019) clearly state that all warranties are void if vehicle is ever issued a salvage title or declared a total loss by insurance. Here is the language from the 2019 Warranty Information Booklet:

SALVAGE TITLE
This limited warranty does not apply to any
vehicle, and is rendered void if the vehicle
is (or ever has been) issued a “salvage” or
similar title under any state’s law; or has
ever been determined to be a “total loss”
or equivalent by any insurance company,
such as by payment of a cash payment
of claim in lieu of repairs because of a
determination that the cost of repairs
exceeded the actual cash value of the
vehicle.
Thanks. That's logical.

There was some talk at Division level of doing a buy back of my 2016 Leaf SL that i had just purchased from Nissan for $13.5K vs giving me a new 40 kWh battery but the National Leaf Rep cleared that problem up with up with one email.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”