WetEV
Posts: 4931
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 am
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014
Location: Near Seattle, WA

Re: Kia Niro BEV

GRA wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:08 pm Rented a 2022 Niro EX BEV on Turo from the 14th-17th, and drove it on my usual trip up over Tioga pass to 395. I like the car a lot, and if it offered AWD and FC'd faster I'd get one. Engadget described it as "relentlessly sensible": I concur, and appreciate cars like that (my Forester being another example). I might even be willing to forgo AWD for a lease, but the charge rate . . .
This is a slow charging car, and the reviewers seem generally disappointed in the charge rate.


For example: https://insideevs.com/reviews/351535/te ... e-station/

Image
WetEV
#49
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red (Sold)
2019 eTron Blue
GRA
Posts: 13865
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Kia Niro BEV

WetEV wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:32 pm
GRA wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:08 pm Rented a 2022 Niro EX BEV on Turo from the 14th-17th, and drove it on my usual trip up over Tioga pass to 395. I like the car a lot, and if it offered AWD and FC'd faster I'd get one. Engadget described it as "relentlessly sensible": I concur, and appreciate cars like that (my Forester being another example). I might even be willing to forgo AWD for a lease, but the charge rate . . .
This is a slow charging car, and the reviewers seem generally disappointed in the charge rate.

For example: https://insideevs.com/reviews/351535/te ... e-station/

Image

Yup, my charging curves were near identical to that one. Other than the Bolt/EUV and the LEAF it's the slowest charging current BEV with 200+ mile range I'm aware of, which is too damned bad because it's a nice car otherwise, especially if you don't need AWD. I was hoping that they'd adopt the same higher voltage pack as the EV6/Ioniq 5 for the 2023, but that didn't happen.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.
cwerdna
Posts: 13159
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Kia Niro BEV

GRA wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:08 pm One oddity of the driver's display is that the speedometer readout is on the right rather than the left, for no obvious reason. Since it's all digital you'd think being able to switch the speed and DTE/capacity displays left to right, so that it's be more like the speedo left/tach etc. right displays ... would be easy.
Will respond to your other reply later but again, I've never heard of any convention nor uniformity as to which side on US market automobiles.

I had a '93 Dodge Caravan for awhile. https://www.ebay.com/itm/234606594092?h ... ke%3ADodge looks correct: tach left, speedo middle.

As for letting the driver switch, the two dials don't appear to be generic LCDs with totally addressable pixels. It seems they have discrete segments and even the centering of the numbers is different on the left vs. right. If you look at the cluster (pic at https://electrek.co/2019/05/07/kia-niro-ev-review/). you'll see the outer edges are different from the left and right. Left gauge has a break at the top and has different colored segments on the right.

Left gauge outer ring starts in red but it doesn't on the right one. Right one has a blue band the left one doesn't have. There's also a red band at the max. Inner ring of right side fills as you go faster, in place of a needle.

The middle between the two gauges is an LCD where you can display any arbitrary text or graphics. It doesn't seem like the round gauges and their interiors are that way at all. The gauge cluster on the '22 Niro EV is not one large LCD panel as far as I can tell, but I haven't examined carefully under bright light.

'22 Niro EV
'19 Bolt Premier (bought back by GM)
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (former)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.
LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 19259
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Kia Niro BEV

My '86 Civic Si also had tach on the left, speedo on right. That means a LOT of other Hondas did as well.
Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.
WetEV
Posts: 4931
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 am
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014
Location: Near Seattle, WA

Re: Kia Niro BEV

GRA wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:39 pm it's the slowest charging current BEV with 200+ mile range I'm aware of, which is too damned bad because it's a nice car otherwise, especially if you don't need AWD.
Which is a don't care if you don't plan on taking many 200+ mile trips in this car. Don't confuse your use case with other people's use cases.
WetEV
#49
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red (Sold)
2019 eTron Blue
DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 16146
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Kia Niro BEV

WetEV wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:09 am
GRA wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:39 pm it's the slowest charging current BEV with 200+ mile range I'm aware of, which is too damned bad because it's a nice car otherwise, especially if you don't need AWD.
Which is a don't care if you don't plan on taking many 200+ mile trips in this car. Don't confuse your use case with other people's use cases.
Remove EA and the list of 800 volt chargers doesn't cover half a page in WA State. We are seeing a lot of 100/150 kw chargers here/coming though. Still enjoying the layovers I am "forced" to make. Occasionally, I want to charge quicker but pretty rare, but then again, I also want traffic to flow quicker, which is nearly every day. Guess life is still not perfect.
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 37,001 mi, 90.19% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GRA
Posts: 13865
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Kia Niro BEV

WetEV wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:09 am
GRA wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:39 pm it's the slowest charging current BEV with 200+ mile range I'm aware of, which is too damned bad because it's a nice car otherwise, especially if you don't need AWD.
Which is a don't care if you don't plan on taking many 200+ mile trips in this car. Don't confuse your use case with other people's use cases.

I don't and have said as much on numerous occasions, including directly to you more than once. For the typical weekend trip to say 200-250 mile radius, as long as you don't mind stopping once for a meal enroute while FC'ing, possibly both coming and going (and have charging where you need it), it's not a big deal for most people. Destination charging as well boosts that to 300 or maybe 350 mile radius.

But for anyone who needs or wants to take road trips that would require multiple enroute DCFCs per day (or who needs to make a drive such as the weekend trip described above on a frequent basis and in the minimum time) the time suck gets serious, and I suspect is unacceptable for the typical car buyer given their options. Since most drivers still want to take, or at least have the option to take such trips occasionally, it limits the car's mass market appeal. And that's a shame, cause it's such a good, 'normal' car otherwise. The same comments re charging apply even more to the Bolt/EUV, both of which have a more mass-market price.
Last edited by GRA on Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.
GRA
Posts: 13865
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Kia Niro BEV

cwerdna wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:17 am
GRA wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:08 pm One oddity of the driver's display is that the speedometer readout is on the right rather than the left, for no obvious reason. Since it's all digital you'd think being able to switch the speed and DTE/capacity displays left to right, so that it's be more like the speedo left/tach etc. right displays ... would be easy.
Will respond to your other reply later but again, I've never heard of any convention nor uniformity as to which side on US market automobiles.

I had a '93 Dodge Caravan for awhile. https://www.ebay.com/itm/234606594092?h ... ke%3ADodge looks correct: tach left, speedo middle.

As for letting the driver switch, the two dials don't appear to be generic LCDs with totally addressable pixels. It seems they have discrete segments and even the centering of the numbers is different on the left vs. right. If you look at the cluster (pic at https://electrek.co/2019/05/07/kia-niro-ev-review/). you'll see the outer edges are different from the left and right. Left gauge has a break at the top and has different colored segments on the right.

Left gauge outer ring starts in red but it doesn't on the right one. Right one has a blue band the left one doesn't have. There's also a red band at the max. Inner ring of right side fills as you go faster, in place of a needle.

The middle between the two gauges is an LCD where you can display any arbitrary text or graphics. It doesn't seem like the round gauges and their interiors are that way at all. The gauge cluster on the '22 Niro EV is not one large LCD panel as far as I can tell, but I haven't examined carefully under bright light.
I wasn't saying that the Niro was currently set up to do this,it just seems like if you're going to the trouble of using a digital display which allows you to change the info shown, it would be fairly easy to allow for it.

From the examples you and others have posted It does sound as if speedo right was fairly common among Japanese cars from the '80s on, by which time their domestic (RHD) market was booming, so maybe they felt they didn't need to switch. Anyone have any European brand cars that were that way? IDK about British cars from that era as (maybe bar Jaguar) they were pretty uniformly dreadful, although IIRR older ones from the ''60s like MGs & Triumphs were speedo left, as were all the German cars I can recall, and I don't remember for Volvos. As for the French, expecting anything like standardization from them would be unlikely given how quirky their cars tended to be.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.
LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 19259
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Kia Niro BEV

From the examples you and others have posted It does sound as if speedo right was fairly common among Japanese cars from the '80s on, by which time their domestic (RHD) market was booming, so maybe they felt they didn't need to switch. Anyone have any European brand cars that were that way? IDK about British cars from that era as (maybe bar Jaguar) they were pretty uniformly dreadful, although IIRR older ones from the ''60s like MGs & Triumphs were speedo left, as were all the German cars I can recall, and I don't remember for Volvos.
Volvo 240 series cars had the speedo in the center, with fuel on the right, and a clock or tach on the left.
Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.
GRA
Posts: 13865
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Kia Niro BEV

LeftieBiker wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:40 pm
From the examples you and others have posted It does sound as if speedo right was fairly common among Japanese cars from the '80s on, by which time their domestic (RHD) market was booming, so maybe they felt they didn't need to switch. Anyone have any European brand cars that were that way? IDK about British cars from that era as (maybe bar Jaguar) they were pretty uniformly dreadful, although IIRR older ones from the ''60s like MGs & Triumphs were speedo left, as were all the German cars I can recall, and I don't remember for Volvos.
Volvo 240 series cars had the speedo in the center, with fuel on the right, and a clock or tach on the left.

Thanks, speedo in the center's not so bad. My dad considered a 144 before getting his Peugeot 504D but I don't remember if it had a tach or not, although he'd only buy sticks. But Volvos of that era made no pretence of being performance cars (well, maybe the 1800 if you squinted), just practical, no-nonsense sedans and wagons.

His 504 certainly didn't have a tach, not that there was any reason to have one it being so underpowered, and taking the diesel to high revs given its torque curve was pointless, as well as taking forever. But then for normal driving no one needs a tach, stick or not.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”